• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Smell

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
My Dad has a 2017 LTX SE. He just got back from Quebec and told me that he can smell burning oil after high speed runs. He said between 40-70 MPH there is no smell. When he runs it above 80 MPH he can smell it and so can the guys riding behind him. The sled has 1,200 miles on it so I can't imagine the engine is burning oil. Could it be leaking somewhere? Anything to look out for? I'm not sure why it would only happen at high speeds. Thanks in advance.

Has he had to add much oil? Needs to do a high speed pull and come to quick stop, should be able to see where oil is burning/smoke coming from.

I'm not an expert by any means but just throwing an idea out there -

I had ALOT of oil sitting in my pipe that goes to my airbox. I posted a picture of it here - https://ty4stroke.com/threads/negative-cable-to-battery.151619/#post-1408130

Can it cause the smell of burning oil if it were to travel further threw that tube when going at high speeds? (If he had oil sitting in there)

Check chaincase oil - if it is leaking it can hit bottom of muffler. Speaking from 1st hand experience - unfortunately.....

Is it possible it got overfilled with oil? Maybe from the first oil change at 500 ish miles? If it was overfull it might try to push out excess during higher rpm running. It would likely push it into the intake tract. Just guessing here.

He checked it, and it was slightly overfull. Would that cause it to burn oil at high speeds?

The first time i did my oil change i must have let a lot of oil seep in to the pad under the muffler. I only noticed it on high speed runs when it almost caught fire!
My first thought was to pee on it, but it was cold out & with 3 layers of clothes so i just threw some snow on it.
I took the muffler off & cleaned the bejesus out of it then put heat tape over it.

As above, check the oil reservoir seal- it’s silicone- and they have been leaking. My 18 RTX 50th blew oil out there so bad, onto the exhaust, that I thought it was on fire at first. My 17 LTX SE has been fine. The wife drives the 18 RTX 50th and never pushes it above 100km/h. I drive the 17 LTX SE like I stole it. Go figure....

The roll over valve is sticking in cold temps and pushing oil into the intake tubes... maybe something to look into. Mike had a thread on this. We had one doing the same thing and cured it after we deleted that valve.

I can smell chaincase gear oil on mine after cruising at high speeds. Been common with every snowmobile I've ever owned. Gear oil has a distinct smell to it. At high speed its building pressure in the case from heating and venting.

Tell him to keep it below 80 or get used to the smell.

I can smell chaincase gear oil on mine after cruising at high speeds. Been common with every snowmobile I've ever owned. Gear oil has a distinct smell to it. At high speed its building pressure in the case from heating and venting.

Tell him to keep it below 80 or get used to the smell.

We have never seen that with our Apex's. 45,000 miles worth of riding on 3 different machines and I used to hold mine WFO every chance I got.

Back