• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

P1338 NO START

RacinJason15 said:
My dealer said they talked to Yamaha and they said its a low battery voltage issue... And that it should sit on a battery tender and to make sure it has been fully charged and retest! Kinda hard to believe but then again if it has a weak signal to the crank sensor and can't see crank position then a long crank would be the reason for the no start.. Like any car if it was to lose cam sensor or crank sensor position long cranks or a no starts happen. I'm going to let mine charge on the tender.. With mine that still makes no sense as it also has hard start hot issues!
It should be worse for the battery to crank a cold engine and battery would have lower volts, except if theres something draining the battery example heated seat and engine ideling for a long time?

What I noticed in 2 days of riding the viper was that when you go to start and the screen pops up "Yamaha genesis", if you crank it while that's up it fires right off wait for the screen to clear and you have to crank it about 3 times.

The last two days I have done the same, cranked engine right away and it started up every time.The only other difference from the last time I rode on saturday , was alot warmer,+2 c, today was -16c.

I tried to just crank it right away tonight and wouldn't start hot. WTF! I'm going to a demo ride Saturday and am going to show the yamaha boys exactly what it's doing. I guaranty I can get it to repeat.

It's going back to the dealer tonight. Hopefully they can find something going on with this hot start. Anyone ever had fuel vapor lock issues on these four strokes? Just one theory I'm working on.

take a look at your tank breather line it is a clearish blue hose that runs down to the bottom of your belly pan, if it is froze up with ice you might have an issue, I cut my hose 6" shorter just as a precaution.

The head tech at my dealer told me to look for a pinch in that hose. I will also cut it off while I'm in there but hopefully I do find an obvious problem with the hose. I does make some sense now thinking back the cap was pressurized one time that I went to fuel up. Will update with findings.

True mine salt outside for 5 days and when I went to fuel up it had pressure then had the no start issue! :-o

No such luck! I made sure the vent tube was open and not restricted at all. Same hot start issue. Come on Yamaha!!! Time for an ECU flash!

It happened to me this weekend stopped ate lunch came out no start cranked few times nothing p1338 came up guy walking by said its vapor locked opened gas cap the it started rite up code was still up drove over to gas station shut off filled up, started rite up no code ran fine.

Had first no start today after stopping for lunch at the snowmobile club. 366 miles on the odometer.

Tried quick start method, recycle key off and on three times method, and finally started when I cracked the throttle slightly. When it did start I had the P1338 code until I shut off the sled 25 minutes later and restarted the engine which canceled the code.

Yamaha told the head technician at my dealer that these 1338 codes are caused because the batteries are being improperly charged during dealer set-up. The tech told them "BS, I charge every battery on delivered sleds and each one gets 24 hours of charge time". He was pretty Ticked Off at the Yamaha rep.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. These issues will not fix themselves but they should have a fix in the works by now. Hope inter company politics don't impede a quick response, just hate corporate finger pointing.

Yamacat21 said:
No such luck! I made sure the vent tube was open and not restricted at all. Same hot start issue. Come on Yamaha!!! Time for an ECU flash!

Any one that thinks an ECU flash will fix this knows .0000000 NOTHING about Engines or Engine Management.
Arctic Cat may have done the ECU mapping but they most certainly did not map each one individually. 1 in 50, 1 in 100 how many are having problems.
Went riding today with 1 2010 Vector, 1 2004 Viper, 2 new Viper owner 2014 Vipers as well as my 2010 Nytro and my wife's 2014 Viper.
The 2 new Viper owners both had Hot Start issues, common problems were first stopping and leaving the sled run till temperature climbed to the point cooling fan cut in (93 deg. C) and then shut off and then thought they could get back on turn the key on and try to start without waiting for the fuel pump to cycle.
The rest of us, with experience with that Engine told them to 1 try to shut down when the temperature is still 70 to 80 Deg. and wait till fuel pump cycles up to pressure (gauge full on) and they had no more problems the rest of the day.
:die

I've tried every trick in the book to keep this thing from having the hot start problem. But thanks for insulting my mechanical intelligence!!! This isn't my first rodeo and I know it's not a mechanical issue. There is something in the programming telling these things there is something out of perameter when hot!

Back