• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Polaris FST

cutlass7

Extreme
How does the FST compare to the Nytro, never hear anything about them. It seems like you always hear comparisons between the Nytro and 1200 Ski-Doo but never the 4-strokes from Cat and Polaris. Any Nytro owner here had a chance to ride any the FST or the Cat 4-strokes??

Are you sure your not talking about the Polaris POS?? LoL

Just kidding I hear there using up the old watercraft webber motors contract

Put it this way-I´ve tryed both the FST and Arctic´s fourstroke (always ride Arctic before!) and I´ve never even concider the 4 stoke before I tryed the Nytro.
They are from a different era...dont think about a trade before you try one out!

The FST is a good motor, and nothing like any any PWC motor they once had. It does a solid 140hp, but it's main point of contention with the FST is that it sounds like it is an industrial motor. There is no lag on it, and it does go well.

But IMHO, Polaris needs to step up witha better four stroke to compete with yamaha, and now doo. I think that will happen soon.

My wife rides an 08 IQ Cruiser Turbo which is a 2up touring model. So far the engine has worked well for us and performs quite well for a big heavy touring sled but there is no way you can compare that engine to anything Yamaha builds. For one thing, I have never heard a more pathetic sounding exhaust noise come out of any engine in my life, this is somewhat tolerable in touring sled but in no way can I imagine myself having this in a Swtichback or something like that. It is built by Weber. As far as how it compares to a Nytro, it doesn't! The two engines are worlds apart IMO! The Nytro is an animal plain and simple and to me the FST is a good touring engine! It does very well in this setting. The Nytro, believe it or not is almost quieter to me! The noise of the turbo although sounds cool at the time can get quite annoying after a long day of riding!! To sum it up, the FST is a decent engine and so far ours has worked well. I just think that Yamaha builds a far superior 4 stroke engine!!

cwcsrx700 said:
But at least they run unlike the 800 Dragons!

Yeah aint that the truth man!! My brother's Assault blew up with 400 miles on it! The dealer he bought it from sold 8 and he's had 5 back now with blown engines, one has gone through two engines already! My brother told the dealer to fix it and he'll trade it for a new quad and worry about getting another sled in the fall! He said he has no faith in it anymore.....! Sucks to be repeatedly let down by a new machine....!!

Ride with a guy with an 09 800 Dragon. It's been at the dealer twice for new pistons and he had to buy a backup sled. Not to mention every time we stop his hood is open so he can play with ethanol wires! haha

Yeah, the whole ethanol wire thing is a bit of a debacle! Seems like something someone would come up with at home and just leave a couple wires hanging there for testing purposes or homemade performance purposes but to have a manu do that seems a little make shift to me!! Talked to a rep from Roseau at a sled show back in April and he said they took the Regular/Premium ignition switch away and made the wires hidden and left them unlabeled because of EPA! He said if they would have labeled the wires they would have had to have gone through a lot more testing in order to meet EPA standards.

i posted the other day about my buddies fst,he pulls both my xtx and our other buddies 09 shorty nytro everytime to 100,on top i think i can roll by both of them with my xtx but its right on very top,his fst has a little clutching changes and an aftermarket silencer,very strong , i also run a bone stock turbo switch back144" the other night,he got me about 2 lengths off the jump on a rolling start,then about 90 i started pulling by him,they seem to be very strong on the initial punch,think they have more boost for the first 5 seconds,durability ?????????? i will stick with my yamahas,last year he lost an alternator(pic below) and the above mentioned buddy with the 09 nytro has that sled because he had so many problems with the 09 turbo dragon that he traded for the 09 nytro

Attachments

• DSCN0408.JPG
    DSCN0408.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 57

Back