• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quote of the month!

lakercr

Tech Advisor
So I'm doing a CPR install for a customer tonight. This is a lifetime Ski-doo tuner that is actually not the owner of the sled. He has a performance shop similar to BPE, and has been building this customer big 2 stroke Doo's for many years. He tells me that the guy is tired of getting waxed by the turbo Yammies (probably Turk) and wants to come into the light. Anyway, the Doo mechanic went shopping around for his customer and wound up at our door. He asked to hang around the shop while the build is going on to learn a bit about the sled and the kit, which was fine by me. He did as much of the work tonight as I did, and clearly has turned a few wrenches before. As the Attack is coming apart he keeps pointing out the engineering differences between his 800R and the Attack - he really was very impressed. About the time we got it down to the bare chassis he looks at the sled for a minute and says:

"Now I understand why these sleds are a bit heavier, there's at least an extra 50 pounds of quality in them".

I've never heard anyone describe it that way before, I though it was a great way to put it.

great post!
So he is seeing what I see. Every single part is purpose built to be the best it can be, typical of Yamaha.

I look the other brands over and I see some more crude parts that look like they were fabricated in somebodys garage. Not sayin that some guys dont do beautiful custom items in there garage, but you know what I mean.

Good one!

I'll take "quality" over weight savings any day.

IMHO: I can't see why people don't take the longevity and smooth, broad power of a sophisticated EFI 4-stroke, over the out-dated, oil-drinking, simplistic technology for the same price. Each his own I guess??? :4STroke: :yam:

4Fighter said:
IMHO: I can't see why people don't take the longevity and smooth, broad power of a sophisticated EFI 4-stroke, over the out-dated, oil-drinking, simplistic technology for the same price. Each his own I guess??? :4STroke: :yam:

yup, amazes me how many people bought Rev XP's!! :drink:

Nice words from the ski-doo tuner :)

Can you tell us some of the things he preferred on the Yamaha?

I'm sure he was humble being in you shop and all but did he pointed out anything he preferred on his ski-doo?

Phatboyc said:
Can you tell us some of the things he preferred on the Yamaha?

I'm sure he was humble being in you shop and all but did he pointed out anything he preferred on his ski-doo?

He couldn't believe how heavy the seat was on the Attack. Said his felt like it weighed 5 pounds, and the Yamaha about 20lbs. Wasn't a big fan of doing a spark plug change. I asked him how he liked doing it on his 02' F150 and he's never changed them. He got the point.

He liked the clearanace around the front heat exchanger of the Doo better.

That was about it. He was very impressed with how Yamaha puts a sled together.

It's like yesterday when I was listening to some Polaris riding buddies talk about sending in the crank and cases of their 800's to get a bearing modification. "How many miles you got on it", "Oh, 2700, they tend to go out at 3000", "Yeah, good idea, better to spend $300 than $2000".

I just kept my mouth shut and thought about what a long time Yamaha buddy told me when I said I was going to let my Polaris buddies ride my sled. He's like "Screw'em, don't let them ride it, they won't appriciate it anyway". "Let'em keep riding junk... oh, yeah my crank went out, oh well, you know, it's just a crank".

Funny how the only negitive thing people ever seem to have to say about my sled is "Yeah, but its heavy". I'll live with 50 lbs of quality.

rockrider said:
It's like yesterday when I was listening to some Polaris riding buddies talk about sending in the crank and cases of their 800's to get a bearing modification. "How many miles you got on it", "Oh, 2700, they tend to go out at 3000", "Yeah, good idea, better to spend $300 than $2000".

I just kept my mouth shut and thought about what a long time Yamaha buddy told me when I said I was going to let my Polaris buddies ride my sled. He's like "Screw'em, don't let them ride it, they won't appriciate it anyway". "Let'em keep riding junk... oh, yeah my crank went out, oh well, you know, it's just a crank".

Funny how the only negitive thing people ever seem to have to say about my sled is "Yeah, but its heavy". I'll live with 50 lbs of quality.

Exactly right! Ever eat with cheap very light silverware where your fork bends and the knife has it teeth all worn off. Same thing the good silverware costs more but it is a bit heavier but last forever and you can feel and see the quality. This is just an example of how quality items weigh more just like our sleds. They are made right without cutting corners resulting in a sled thats a bit heavier. I will take the quality item everytime.

Back