• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Skid snapped on 2006

SnowBandit

Expert
Website
www.slednewengland.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro xtx
Well even after having the beef up kit installed on my 2006 attak I manged to break the rear skid. Front arm snapped in half right in the middle of the upper and also the lower tube. I also broke the rails in the back also. Looking like close to $900 in repairs with all the parts I need to replace. Sled has 12,000 miles on it... Thinking that rather dump good money into a skid that just keeps failing I would swap out... Yup I do ride a little hard... I do also weigh in at 300lbs... Not a lite weight for sure. My question is I am looking at the M20 Airwave and the ZX2. Trying to figure out which is best for my weight. I am leaning more toward the M20 due to the air shocks to handle the weight issue. I am also affraid that I will kill the plastic ZX2 with the way I ride and weight.

I also have had a M10 on my Viper and loved that skid expect for the shock fade after hitting the moguls hard. Heard they have fixed that problem with the M20...

Not worried about the loss of top end as the place I ride the most we have speed limit of 45 and I hardly ever get above 100 when I ride were there are no speed limits.

What do you guys think?

I Think halfbaked would like to hear about this! I think he said that there were NO failures since his upgrade. You should contact, and send pics

You may be one of the first few failures ever of a beefed up Mono arm, congrats! But crap happens and nothing is unbreakable.

Either the M20 or ZX2 would be great; you can't go wrong with either. Prob ZX2 has edge for durability, and M20 for high tech and very supple. Good luck with your choice.

Its a beefed up one set out to halfbaked... I am not knocking his work at all... the arm snapped right in half.. will get pictures tomorrow... I am a big boy and ride hard.. just glad the shock bolts held or it might have not been pretty..

Not sure what your weight is, but I go roughly 300lbs dressed and weight was never a problem on my 07 Apex RTX with a 144" ZX2. The "plastic" is a non issue. I honestly can't remember seeing a single post about a ZX-2 failure as far as the plastic goes. Like Kinger said, try to break it! Only real maintenance issues I had were slides and delaminating idler wheels. Same thing you will get with any skid, regardless of the manufacture. Some just go longer between maintenance intervals than others.

I have no experience with the M10 or M20.

A friend of mine has an Expert X under his sled. "Tiny" as I call him has to be all of 450lbs. I could not believe how stout the Expert X is built. I don't have first hand experience with the expert, but there are enough TY members who do and could give you good real world feedback as to their durability. I was totally impressed with how it held up to "Tiny" so if you are a big rider, this may ve a viable option to look at.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have an M20 Airwave in my 2004 Rev. It came with the rear suspension. Now the slides are shot am I can not find what slides this thing takes. Does anyone know? My version is a 136".
Thanks

You can go to a Polaris dealer they sell them. They were used on older xc chassis. Or call team fast they ship. Both about same price.

This is my first season on an M-20. I love it!!! Adjusting for trail condition on the fly is fantastic. Since its new, I can't speak towards durability. I can say, however, "what stutter bumps?"

I have the broken rails and the front arm also cracked my heat exchangers along the boards. After reinforcing the arm and rails I also went thru the rest of the skid. Big boy spring, revalved shock for my weight and driving style and reinforced the skid with some small aluminum plates and has been crack free for the last 3000 miles. I hope the tunnel stiffeners will keep my exchangers from developing cracks over the next 10k miles.
Although the M10-20, Expert X or the ZX2 are excellent skids I wouldn't give up on the Mono just yet. Fixing the weak points in the skid and having it setup well for your weight and driving style it should last another 12k miles
Vendors on here have excellent prices on good used components to get you back up and running for far less than $900.

I had no issues with the mono breaking. I replaced it solely for ride quality.

Guys this post was started in 2012. latest question was on what hyfax is used on m-20. I ride with both suspensions 07 attack gt with hygear twin spring and revalve with axis shocks on front love that sled. 04 warrior with m-20 got tired of banging on limiter straps and control rods. Apex seat hooked bars and rox adjustable riser. That is the sled i take on weekends on Tug Hill.

Back