• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension lack of rebound?

MNBlizzard

Expert
In doing my preseason work cleaning the carbs, installing apex rad., water temp gauge, etc. I noticed what seems to be very little rebound in the rear suspension on my RX1. My sled has about 3500mi on it and is original to the sled.

Would the shocks or springs be shot? If so, which one controls this? Rear? It just seems when I push down, it almost needs to be lifted back up. Not really sure. Any suggestions on fixing or is this normal. I am not a suspension guy and don't really recall this being an issue.

sounds like you need to pull the skid and inspect/clean all the shafts and bushings.

Are you testing the shock rebound with the track loose or adjusted to the proper tension? I have noticed this before. Problem went away once the track was tensioned.

If your track is tensioned and you are not getting any rebound, maybe the shock needs to be replaced/rebuilt.

Track tension is loose. I went through the skid entirely two years ago...about 1500mi. I'm leaning more towards the spring/shock but not sure.

You might want to consider tensioning the track to the OEM Spec. Then see if the Rear Suspension rebounds properly. Or are you saying the track is tensioned? But you just run it on the loose side.

When I said "loose," I back off the tension for the summer storage so that the track sags a couple inches under its own weight. When I noticed the reduced rebound before, the track was not tensioned at all.

If it is tensioned and you are not getting any rebound, I would pull the shock and remove the Spring. I would bet that there is a spring freelength spec in the Tech Manual. But, unless it is broken, you would think that you would get some amount of rebound. ?? You can also see what the shock is/is not doing with the spring off.

Also, the shock could be frozen because moisture has penetrated into the internals. Warm up the shock and see if the heat clears up your problem. If it clears with heat, then you need to replace it cause there is water in it and it will freeze again.

It's just sleepy from the long off season. Just get out and ride it - it will loosen up all the creeky bones and joints.

The spring, not the shock is responsible for returning the sled to an upright position and when the grease and joints sit all season they get a bit tight it needs to have the dust knocked off it.

Back