• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

relays

ruttinbuck

Veteran
turned the key today (first time in 5 months)nothing
turned the key again fuel pump came on and started right up
should i pull the relays and use dielectric grease on them
thanks

I would like to see someone take a relay that is giving you grief by freezing drill a small hole in it stick a small nozzle in it and displace all the air out with nitrogen and then seal it with silicone. My reasoning is this the relay is made and sealed in Japan a very moist enviroment being so close to the ocean. When it gets cold the moist air inside the relay condenses and freezes (sticks) there is no moisture in nitrogen so that would cure the problem. I dont own an Apex or I would do it and try it myself!

I have an 09 xtx and want to buy a spare starter relay, can someone post a picture or a microfesce of the location so I get the correct one? Thanks guys

I don't mean to be a hijacker here again but I have attached a picture and a visual aid may help. I could use help as well as my sled seems to click when I turn the key and on occasion will turnover but not all the time. In the picture what is the starter relay? The whole thing that the battery terminals connect into?

Attachments

• 1228121006.jpg
    1228121006.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 94
The starter relay is the entire thing that the positive battery cable is in. Pull it off the rubber moount and use I believe an 8mm socket to remove the bolts. I recommend disconnecting the battery first.

Once off the part with the fuses pulls off and I bet its full of green corrosion. If it is time to buy a new one. It comes complete. I just did this on my 08 Nytro

Sled Dog said:
I would like to see someone take a relay that is giving you grief by freezing drill a small hole in it stick a small nozzle in it and displace all the air out with nitrogen and then seal it with silicone.

HAH! I tried this couple weeks ago on my starter relay (easy to get at on the Nytro). Drilled a hole, flushed with WD-40 a couple times and cycled the relay about 100 times on a bench battery. Sealed with JB weld. Worked right away but the sled is in the trailer since. Will probably get a chance to try it this week-end in the trailer but my first "ride" won't be till the end of January. My fingers are crossed.

New updated relays don't work so don't get your hopes up. Carry a spare, as far as I'm concerned its a prob with manufacturing. Owned too many 4strokes and never had this problem except on my 2011

Crewchief47 said:
Sled Dog said:
I would like to see someone take a relay that is giving you grief by freezing drill a small hole in it stick a small nozzle in it and displace all the air out with nitrogen and then seal it with silicone.

HAH! I tried this couple weeks ago on my starter relay (easy to get at on the Nytro). Drilled a hole, flushed with WD-40 a couple times and cycled the relay about 100 times on a bench battery. Sealed with JB weld. Worked right away but the sled is in the trailer since. Will probably get a chance to try it this week-end in the trailer but my first "ride" won't be till the end of January. My fingers are crossed.

Well, knock on wood, so far this season I haven't had one starter relay issue.

There are 2 (actually3) types of relays. The first is the starter solenoid (yep , it's a relay) which is like 42 bucks. There are also 4 small relays in the nose behinfd the steering shaft on the oil tank side. The 1st, 3rd and 4th are all the same, and are the load control , fuel pump and rad fan relays. These are the 10 dollar ones. The second is the lighting relay High/Low and it is a SPDT vs the SPST of the other 3.
You say you turned the key and nothing happened and then did this again and it started. What didnt happen?? anything or just the fuel pump and it turned over and didn't start?? If it turned over and the fuel pump didn't run and it didn't start it is likely the fuel pump relay and would throw code 43. If it did nothing? and the instruments lit up it may have been the starter solenoid sticking (since it started afterwards) Both the starter solenoid and the relays are a problem. There are apparently updated relays ( the smaller cheaper ones) available. I have not heard of an updated starter solenoid. Also, in the picture that Boritzer sent, you will see a white connector on the starter solenoid with 3 connections. This is the coil for the starter solenoid and the fused feed to the fuel system, both injectors and fuel pump relay. Clean it up as well. Try that

Back