• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rod Cap Bolt Removal

jaydaniels

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX
I'm in the process of rebuilding an 08 nytro motor. I'm replacing the rod bolts while in there. What's the best method for removing the existing rod bolts from the rod? They are in there pretty darn good.

Break them loose by tightening them a bit first. You will need a bunch of new hardware because those engines use the torque turn method of tightening that stretches the bolts.

Thanks for the reply. I already have the nuts off and the end caps. Do you mean put the nuts back on and tighten them to make the bolt twist in the rod. They have almost a spline on the bolt that seems to keep them from turning plus the head of the bolt is oval to keep it from spinning. Not exactly sure what you mean. As for the tourque to stretch I already have the new bolts ready to go in. .

I actually have the manual but it doesn't really discuss a 'method' for removing them. I actually got them out by placing the rod between 2 pcs of wood and holding in a vice. Then put the nut on the bolt and used a socket and hammer to lightly tap them out. Seemed to work.

Back