• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rodent deterent ideas??

1simpleton

Country
USA
Snowmobile
xtx
I am being forced to put my machines in a shed for storage this year, do any of you have ideas of what I can do to help keep the mice out? I have heard of placing dryer sheets in the engine compartment and around the sleds but not sure if this is an old wives tail or??

Get an outdoor cat. Best rodent prevention I've ever invested in.

I load up my shed with DECON posion blocks, mice are not in there for long. After a couple of years, I don't get mice anymore. 10' x 8' shed with about 30 of the blocks spread around.

I load up my shed with DECON posion blocks

That will certainly kill them off quick if they dare venture near it. I get mine in a small pellet form at Tractor Supply, leave em a few "feeding dishes" of it, I also sprinkle a few pellets in the air box, in the pan, anywhere that in fall I can get them out in a second with the shop vac. My only issue is many times I have to also extract carcasses from the car/boat/sled whatever. And if it was a good day of death the stink from the rotting corpses is noticeable.

The dryer sheets need to be super scented, its the scent that bugs them and keeps them at bay, moth balls and flakes decaying also are good but then your sled smells like your grandmothers closet. I'd put some moth balls in a few dishes around the perimeter and then some death baits on and in the machine for those who venture into your trap. If you want to use mouse traps, get Tomcats safety traps and bait with peanut butter, they're these black plastic traps with 1/4" "teeth" all around the front and you squeeze the back to set them, safe for you to set and place, instant death to the mouse. They changed the design several years ago when I bought them. Mine have steel teeth behind the plastic and they SNAP instead of just grabbing the mouse, mine tend to close completely, making 2 from 1 :)

That will certainly kill them off quick if they dare venture near it. I get mine in a small pellet form at Tractor Supply, leave em a few "feeding dishes" of it, I also sprinkle a few pellets in the air box, in the pan, anywhere that in fall I can get them out in a second with the shop vac. My only issue is many times I have to also extract carcasses from the car/boat/sled whatever. And if it was a good day of death the stink from the rotting corpses is noticeable.

The dryer sheets need to be super scented, its the scent that bugs them and keeps them at bay, moth balls and flakes decaying also are good but then your sled smells like your grandmothers closet. I'd put some moth balls in a few dishes around the perimeter and then some death baits on and in the machine for those who venture into your trap. If you want to use mouse traps, get Tomcats safety traps and bait with peanut butter, they're these black plastic traps with 1/4" "teeth" all around the front and you squeeze the back to set them, safe for you to set and place, instant death to the mouse. They changed the design several years ago when I bought them. Mine have steel teeth behind the plastic and they SNAP instead of just grabbing the mouse, mine tend to close completely, making 2 from 1 :)

Should I be concerned that you know what my grandmothers closet smells like?? Disturbing!!! *sarcasm alert*

X2 on the drier sheets. Just use new ones and you'll have a good strong scent like NYDIVER said. In my experience, they never stick around so you don't have to deal with the dead carcasses.

I had dryer sheet's in one of my car's and the little SOB's dumped right on them!!!! I think that's like flipping you the bird? The only thing's I have found to be flawless is up on the sled lift and in my inclosed trailer. They just seam to love snowmobiles!

Mothballs and mouse traps. Id poison them but not to safe for other animals ie pets. Careful with the mothballs as some dogs will eat them as well. I get a couple dozen a year in my garage. Need to change the doors as they get in around and under them. Have a couple Pine Martin that feed on them and so do Ravens.

I've had good luck with mothballs. I was told dryer sheets work great, but when I had my Camero the dryer sheets did nothing to keep them away. I put a few mothballs in the engine compartment and a few around the outside of the car and they stopped making a mess in the winter when it was being stored. I did make the mistake the first time I tried the mothballs and I put them inside the car. It took half the summer to get rid of that smell. LOL.

I've had good luck with the dryer sheets. Used them in my boat when it was stored outside for the winter and never had any mouse problems. I also use them under the hood when I store my IROC-Z. I put about a dozen in there. Forgot the sheets one year and was lucky it only cost me a new hood liner. Moth balls work but it's hard to get rid of that smell!

Decon pellets should be replaced with the bait blocks. They take the pellets and store them in places you may not know about like in the machine or in a light fixture before they die. And the mice will die inside of walls,etc. But the bait blocks work. Another idea that I use is a 5 gal bucket with 3 in of water in it. Then 1 inch below the top I drill a hole on both sides so I can insert a 1 in dowel rod across. Put the dowel thru a empty toliet paper roll. Put some peanut butter on the roll. Make a access ramp of sorts so the mouse can go up to the top onto the dowel then out to the roll. When he tries to eat the roll will flip over and dump him into the water. Can't get out. I've caught many of them this way. Seems to work better then traps somehow. I also hot glue a bait block to the roll. Peanut Butter will dry out in time. But smear a little on the ramp and they can't refuse to go up and fall for it.

Gave up on peanut butter and switched to sunflower seeds. I also use stainless live traps and have caught up to four mice at a time in them one momma and three little ones. I drop the trap in a bucket of water to kill them.

The dryer sheets didn't work for me last year. They made a nest with them in the airbox.

Back