• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Rage Rebuild- tunnel protectors

YamahasInWI

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage
Hello all,

First off I want to express my appreciation for all of the info here, and special thanks to all the support from Barn of Parts!

I am on my 3rf season running a 2005 RS Rage that I bought used with 8500 miles on the clock. I've done so much to this sled and rode it hard the past two seasons, and now it really needs a big overhaul.

One of the many things I'm doing is replacing the track. Original ripsaw with 11k miles on it is NOT going to last another season! I bought a replacement ripsaw 2 I'm the stock 1.25" lug height. I do not plan on adding studs as I ride sometimes in a no stud zone in MN, and I really am not here looking for ultra top speed runs.

I have to remove the protectors to get the exhaust out, apparently the last dealer who did the donuts for me right when I bought it stripped out those bolts that hold y pipe to bracket so it's all gotta come out now that y pipe is cracked.

Can I leave them out with a 1.25" lug height and no studs? Any issues in doing so?

Thanks

I took the stock tunnel protectors out of my 2008 when my exhaust pipe broke in half. They're not needed if you're not using studs. There's much less ice buildup in the tunnel without them. I have 13k on my sled and will replace the original track at some point with a Rip2.

Thank you! Exactly the info I was hoping for.

My y pipe cracked before it meets the muffler, then ripped completely in half while trying to remove the muffler. Barn of Parts to the rescue!

Thank you! Exactly the info I was hoping for.

My y pipe cracked before it meets the muffler, then ripped completely in half while trying to remove the muffler. Barn of Parts to the rescue!
Mine broke in half right before the compression joint, where the two halves are pressed together. It broke due to a loose exhaust bracket (the rivets that hold the bracket in place pulled through the tunnel). I have read a lot of good things about the Ripsaw 2 track. I have a lot of damaged lugs on mine due to the track slamming against the tunnel protectors and ripping the top of the lugs right out. My track was evidently too loose at one point. Another good reason to get rid of the protectors.

Thanks I will check my brackets when I install the new one and make sure all is well. I may have to fabricate something new as I have to remove the hanger bracket anyway because the bolts connecting the y pipe to the bracket are fully stripped. Last place to do donuts was a dealer near me... Never again! I did the copper donuts since I have it all apart now.

My ripsaw appears to have been original to the sled based on part number. When I bought it it was studded but early last season I removed all that were left as there was about 9 tear outs. Still rode that track 1k miles last season, but it looks like hell and there's not many lugs left.

Next year a new center shock is needed as mine could not be rebuilt- shock guy could t remove the head he said it happens sometimes on these kyb shocks.

Then one day I'll have to splurge on a new old stock rear shock, she's getting tired even with the big boy spring I installed.

Back