• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Won't idle or rev past 3,500 rpm

ChickenStan

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'06 Apex & 04 RX-1
I bought my wife an 04 rx-1 about 4 years ago. We started our family that winter and two kids later, my wife still hasn't been on the machine. I would take it out for a quick rip every year, and I always run seafoam in the gas (premium) This fall, I changed the battery and the oil/filter. I hadn't started it prior to making the changes. After completing everything, I started it. It started fine, and I kept it at about 1/4 choke until the low temp indicator shut off. When it went out, I tried to turn off the choke, but as soon as I did, it would stall. I chocked this up to old gas (under half a tank) I added fresh gas with more seafoam in it, ran it for about 10 minutes to get the fresh gas into the carb, then let it sit for a few days. When I went to start it again, it, again, started great, and it was definitely idling a bit better, but it still wouldn't quite idle without the choke on. I thought that I would try to put on a few miles and see if that would help. Unfortunately, when I get on the gas, the sled will only move forward about 5 - 10 inches, then I lose power and it stops. It won't rev past about 3,500 rpm. There are no indicator light on. After trying several times to move it, I will smell a slight burning smell (belt likely?) There is also a slight backfire when I shut it down. I think that's all the symptoms. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I recommend :carbs: as it is a good starting point with new gas and new fuel filters as they fall apart with age.

:carbs:the RX1 is well known to need a carb cleaning or two quite often. We could get into the details as why and what works the best, but you just need a can of carb cleaner and a couple of screw drivers and a 3mm hex wrench. I believe there is a write up in the technical section. Once you do it once it wont be such a big deal, really only removing 4 screws carefully (replace with allen head set screws), remove jets one at a time and clean, I just blow them out with compressed air. That simple. Good Luck.

I like to leave my jets in carb cleaner for at least 24 hours before I blow them out, sled idles and rolls through pilot circuitry very happily. Sea foam isn't ever the answer.

TORS bypass its that easy.
if you start sled every month thru year you wont have a carb problem.........

I bought my wife an 04 rx-1 about 4 years ago. We started our family that winter and two kids later, my wife still hasn't been on the machine. I would take it out for a quick rip every year, and I always run seafoam in the gas (premium) This fall, I changed the battery and the oil/filter. I hadn't started it prior to making the changes. After completing everything, I started it. It started fine, and I kept it at about 1/4 choke until the low temp indicator shut off. When it went out, I tried to turn off the choke, but as soon as I did, it would stall. I chocked this up to old gas (under half a tank) I added fresh gas with more seafoam in it, ran it for about 10 minutes to get the fresh gas into the carb, then let it sit for a few days. When I went to start it again, it, again, started great, and it was definitely idling a bit better, but it still wouldn't quite idle without the choke on. I thought that I would try to put on a few miles and see if that would help. Unfortunately, when I get on the gas, the sled will only move forward about 5 - 10 inches, then I lose power and it stops. It won't rev past about 3,500 rpm. There are no indicator light on. After trying several times to move it, I will smell a slight burning smell (belt likely?) There is also a slight backfire when I shut it down. I think that's all the symptoms. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
ITS SIMPLE AS STARTING SLED ONCE A MONTH ALL YEAR, ONCE STARTED you should not need any choke on till it warms up, can foul plugs with choke on too long.

Not to disagree with Big Dog, however I've always had to use my choke when starting and some warm up. Full choke when starting, then gradually reduce choke until she purs on idle, maybe a minute or two. This has been my experience.

Can you post a video of it running? Did you ever check the fuel filters that are in the tank? I have an 03 RX1 and the ethanol that's in our fuel likes to chew them apart. I would stay away from using high octane fuel unless the sled is no longer stock...like air box mods and the sort. Stick with 87 octane. Check to see if the carbs are getting fuel by pulling the output line one at a time while the sled is running. What do the plugs look like? Does it sound like it's running on 2 cylinders? Sorry for all the questions, and welcome to TY!

In future you should store it with premium non-ethanol fuel and a good stabilizer. Sounds like you should start by cleaning the carbs and dumping all the fuel in case the original fuel was bad and is still in there. Diluting it with good fuel does not remove the crap that grows over time. The belt burning smell could be unrelated- I would take the belt off (inspect it), lift the rear and see if you can spin the primary and track easily by hand.

I don't use stabilizer or start my carb sleds throughout the year. I siphon the gas tank dry and drain the float bowls. Then there's no fuel to go bad and you don't get the green fur in your carbs. When fall rolls around, just unhook 1 fuel line from the fuel pump, insert a small funnel and slowly pour gas in to fill the float bowls. Give the gas a minute or two to flow to all the carbs. Re-connect the fuel line, fill the main gas tank, engage choke, hit the key and the sled will start instantly. The fuel pumps will then prime the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs before the float bowls run out of fuel.

I have used this method on my carb Vector for the last 8 years and it works every time! ;)!

Last edited:

Back