• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

(Season 2007-08)- Yellowknife

Yeah, using some type of foam to take the space the snow was getting into would definitely keep the ice out of there. Maybe spray-foam the top of the float plate, then trim to fit. Stuff foam-rubber into all the other spaces, and that should help a lot.

Good luck.

Spray in foam! That's a good idea - hmmm

My dealer (Force One) has the sled now. They're putting it on the bench this afternoon and I'm going to chip in some cash if I have to in order to air freight the new belly pan here asap. They are going to seal the cracks in the sled under warranty. I'm not sure exactly how they are going to do it, but its now in their hands. I'm crossing my fingers that they come up with a solution that works. In the meantime, I should have my Phazer back this week.

I'd be afraid of any foam for fear of fire, but if it was my sled, I would seal the entire bottom end of that pan with silicone of the same color and
I would not be afraid to put lots of it on, seal it completely and when it comes time to do maintenance take out a razor blade knife and cut the silicone open to remove your panels and then re-seal it completely again after your done.wouldn't take much more than a complete tube of silicone to do the whole job and at least you have peice of mind. :o|

Is that foam stuff flammable when it is cured?

They siliconed my phazer last year, but before I had a chance to really test it out, they removed it all to install an update that was supposed to fix the snow injestion problem, but it didn't work at all. I think the silicone would have held up. They are re-applying that to the phazer as well - I think that's been done actually.

You know what else I found (I'll have to take a picture) is the heat shield that surrounds the pipes as they come through the front of the tunnel - the shield is smashed all to hell from ice chunks coming through the tunnel that fall off near the muffler. The pipes themselves don't look dented, but the shielding sure is.

I'm pretty sure foam is flammable , but you could look to try to find something non-flammable if it exists , I don't know, some places you could use foam, but not others that are in proximity to heat sources(engine,oil tank etc.)

Hey YN, I read that you NOT suppose to use collant heaters on the EFI Yamahas because it will trick the ECU into thinking the motors warm???

My Attak has started outside with no warmers as cold as -37c..... How has the Nytro been??

Ride Update: Not really...we didn't end up riding the sleds, only the truck...

We were in search of Caribou on the melting ice roads, with no luck.

PowerWagon13.jpg

It was a good test for the snowmobile covers, the Yamaha Brand on the Phazer and Sled Solutions Skinz Cover on the Nytro...

Sleds3.jpg

I like the Skinz cover so far, keeps things dry and clean...

SkinzCover.jpg

Sleds.jpg

No caribou, no riding, but we had fun anyway.

There's still at least a couple weeks left of riding but I think the powder is all gone. That throws a wrench into my video review but i'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
YK

Ride Update:

Just a few notes - the Skinz Snowmobile Cover held up against all that water on the ice road better than the Yamaha cover.

Been riding the past few weekends as the season winds down...just over a week ago we were out at the cabin fishing when Janice fought this for 10 minutes through the ice with a fishing rod on 6 pound test line...

Janice-2.jpg

30 Pound Pike. Awesome catch.

Allan4-5.jpg

Can't remember if I showed what the dealer decided to do to stop snow from entering the engine compartment on the Nytro. Won't be able to test it till next season but they used the same goop they use to install windshields...
P1020260.jpg

P1020259.jpg

P1020258.jpg

Here's mr. pike again lol
30Pounder.jpg

We had some issues, I melted the sliders on my Nytro. Had to drop the skid on the lake and replace them. The snow was too crusty for the tall lugs on the Nytro's track.

The Phazer did a little better. We had a flash melt then a re-freeze with no fresh snow so the conditions were brutal, but there were no engine overheat issues as long as I had the side panel removed on the Phazer to fully expose the Rad, and same thing with the center hood on the Nytro. Worked well.

Greg and I decided to head out during the week to stay a night at the wall tent between work shift. There was a mouse in the tent scratching around.

Here's the shot before we left...
NytroPhazer.jpg

Can anyone spot what's wrong with this picture? This is after the ride home...
DeadMouse.jpg

Closer look?
DeadMouse2.jpg

somehow the mouse got into greg's clothes and died during the ride home. That'll teach 'em!! LOL

Last weekend with melting slider issues the quad came out to the rescue...
NytroQuad.jpg

Time to header home, great trip.
MarieFranceScottJaniceAllan.jpg

wow do they make that gas can that has a halfpipe lookin thing for the exhaust for the phazer? i need some more gas for me MTX so i can keep going forever i get great mileage already but i like to ride all day and i dont wanna have to end the trip because i need gas.

Update;

With the season winding down and sliders burning off from crusty snow, there was only a couple of weekends left.

I had to get the wall tent down before it was too late, and it was to be a solo job.

Greg and I headed out only to make it about 10 minutes before the sliders on the Nytro were toast - brand new and gone and under 10 km's. The Phazer meanwhile was doing fine, but it would prove to be both machine's last rides of the season.

We rescued them both with the truck on the ice and I borrowed Alex's Tundra to finish the job. Blast from the past - what a machine. Little did I realise that it could do more than I thought - more on that shortly.

I tore down the tent and loaded up 2 boggans to tow back...
TentTeardown2.jpg

TentTeardown.jpg

It was farewell to another good season of winter camping even though I didn't get out to stay in it as much as I would have liked.

That was it, season over - just before May! I had wanted to ride into May this year, so there was only one option, use one of Alex's sleds.

The plan on May 3rd was to head out and cut some trail, I ended up getting sick and didn't make the departure on the Tundra and the Quad. Later that afternoon I received a kryptic phone call from someone telling me that the boys had run into trouble on the trail and were stuck...

Greg and I headed out via truck with no sled or atv and started walking the trail. We received a sat phone call describing this:
SunkQuad.jpg

Yep, would appear the boys had an accident and ran through some thin ice. Spring time melting caused shallow area's with lots of weeds to collect heat and deteriorate the ice. The quad went through, shortly after the Tundra followed in its footsteps.

The sat phone call told us Alex had gotten the Tundra out of the water, it was as deep as that quad you see above. They drained the fluids and she fired up. Problem was, there was only 1 sled and 4 riders, so 2 rode in the boggan and 2 on the Tundra, and i'll be damned, she pulled everyone out in conditions that had gone from poor snow quantity in the morning to NO SNOW in the afternoon...
Tundra.jpg

So Sunday it was time to head back out and rescue the quad. The rescue tools included the Tundra, and a Grand Touring 700. Plowing through loads of water and swamp...
PuddleCrossing.jpg

Scott2.jpg

Snow was scarce where we did find it...
Scott7.jpg

ScottAlex.jpg

Scott4.jpg

Nothin like rock climbing with a 700 touring...
RockClimb.jpg

...we made it to the lake and attached a boat for some added security while rescuing the quad...
AlexScott2.jpg

We hit the area with the sunk quad and the ice was melting by the minute...
AlexScott3.jpg

We used a combination of ropes and pullies, along with the boat and some logs to get things moving...
Quad.jpg

Scott5.jpg

It took a few tries, with it falling back into the water...
ScottAlex2.jpg

ScottAlex4.jpg

ScottAlex3.jpg

Slowly but surly...she came up...
Scott6.jpg

Finally, it was out and ready to be drug to shore for a series of fluid changes...
AlexScott6.jpg

ScottAlex5.jpg

AlexScott7.jpg

Soon she was running, ready to ride...
Scott.jpg

I had the task of NOT putting her through the ice again lol
AllanScott.jpg

One small hole had opened up to a massive one by day's end...
BrokenIce.jpg

Back at the truck to return home...no snow in sight...
NoSnow.jpg

Alex-1.jpg

It was the last trip of the year on the sleds - and we sure as hell went out in style!!

Cheers,
YK

Great stories and a great year. Nice job on the journal throughout the year, I really enjoyed it. Also that was an insane way to end the year. Any plans on buying a new Doo next year considering the some of the problems you had with your Yamaha's this year?

I think I'll be sticking with both units for another season (although I've said that before)

Now that all the picture taking is done on the thread, I'll be going through the video's and will have more stuff as I edit it.

Back