• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

(Season 2013-14) TY Mileage – Yellowknife

YK
Noticed it appears you go for start as soon as you turn key on.
My Viper starts better if I wait a few seconds till ECU comes on and fuel pump pressures system up.
Also my 09 Grizzly 700 will not start till fuel system pressures up.

Last edited:
With my triumph it has a red light that stays lit until the pump is at the proper pressure. MM.

Yellowknife said:
You're right, the product is not a true Yamaha, it fails the reliability test for me, but in most of the warmer climates it is a success, and that's how Yamaha see's it. The cold weather riders like me are an extremely small percentage.

YK

I have a bit of a problem with that statement if its how Yamaha sees it. If I stopped riding because it was below -20C I would miss most of the winter. Anyone in Canada and the Northern part of the US deals with -25C as a normal winter day. Sure there are people that won't ride unless its -10C or warmer but they sit at home all winter and only ride a few days in the month of March just before all the snow melts.

If my sled won't start at -35 to -40 there are lots of mornings on bagger trips that are going to be a problem! Most mornings I left to go riding this winter where -30C in the morning warming to -20C or better. I don't think I'm a small percentage at all. My 4 strokes have started at -35 to -40 on numerous occasions and whether they would start in the cold was the reason I held off buying one. Once I saw a one that I rode with start at -38C and my two stroke wouldn't even pull over till I put a hairdryer on the motor to warm it up I felt safe buying one.

If Yamaha 4 strokes become warm weather sleds in Yamaha's eyes then Huston we have a problem! Love the vids!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember riding with 3 buddies back in 05 when it was -22 degrees. Well my 4-stroker was the only one that started without some sorta help.. Heater/chargers or just plain tag team pulling the rope..... I was happy.. MM.

Ya its a snowmobile! Cold is normal. On one trip we took all the plugs out (two Strokes) and took turns pulling over the sleds one at a time till we had them all running. My triple took 30 pulls with the plugs out and 10 with them in till it started. You had to stand on the running board so the sled did not move backwards when you pulled the recoil. Couple other guys different group kept bringing hot water out and pouring it over their motors till they pulled over free enough to start.

Same temps now and I just turn the key to start. Much less work. Ski-Doo 4 strokes start just as well in the cold as per the two in a group I ride with. So whats up with the Catamaha?

Allen probably got fed up with the starting issue and blew that "SUCKER" up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MM.#$%&*:whine::die

Hello from my long break underground hiding from the continuation of the Viper's season. I stopped making the video's for a few reasons, the views go down in the summer, but most of all I purchased a new boat and I had most of the summer off so I've been practically living in the thing and not motivated to sit in front of a computer to edit when it's been so nice out and the fish were calling.

That said, as fall approaches, I'm continuing the 2014 season so folks have something to watch as they wait for snow in the coming months.
Dude !!!! you guys are "NUTS" :brrr: Riding the lake looks great, but going in the trees I'd have to pass...At least you are making progress on the starting issue..Fun vid, thanks. MM.

The trails are bumpy in the tree's but it's all we got without groomed trails...

Tree riding is awesome with the right sled, and the Nytro is not it. The side to side randomly tipping over wouldn't last very long with me, it would be somebody elses problem.

I remember how the Polaris I rode (switchback) felt like it was on rails compared to my Nytro

Sorry if you already mentioned it but what do you use for your helmet cam?

I have a Ghost HD from Drift Innovation. It's the best helmet camera on the market for how I use them.

YK
Noticed it appears you go for start as soon as you turn key on.
My Viper starts better if I wait a few seconds till ECU comes on and fuel pump pressures system up.
Also my 09 Grizzly 700 will not start till fuel system pressures up.

It's odd, I have more issues with starting if I let the fuel pump pressure up than if I don't. Mine likes it better (when it does start, especially hot starts) if I just turn the key all the way at once.

I have a bit of a problem with that statement if its how Yamaha sees it. If I stopped riding because it was below -20C I would miss most of the winter. Anyone in Canada and the Northern part of the US deals with -25C as a normal winter day. Sure there are people that won't ride unless its -10C or warmer but they sit at home all winter and only ride a few days in the month of March just before all the snow melts.

If my sled won't start at -35 to -40 there are lots of mornings on bagger trips that are going to be a problem! Most mornings I left to go riding this winter where -30C in the morning warming to -20C or better. I don't think I'm a small percentage at all. My 4 strokes have started at -35 to -40 on numerous occasions and whether they would start in the cold was the reason I held off buying one. Once I saw a one that I rode with start at -38C and my two stroke wouldn't even pull over till I put a hairdryer on the motor to warm it up I felt safe buying one.

If Yamaha 4 strokes become warm weather sleds in Yamaha's eyes then Huston we have a problem! Love the vids!

Agreed. I know that if Yamaha would have been the one placing fuel mapping into the unit, it wouldn't have these starting issues.

Alright, so, let's get viewing... after a long summer break, the next episode is up to take us into the fall weather.

2014 Snowmobile Season: Episode 16: http://youtu.be/mcEjmPd4GQQ?list=UUK9cHA63sWdY1rJDwMroP4A

Video Description: More Primer testing on the Viper, some footage of a fox and some wolves while driving the ice road, a mid season review of the Viper, and the start of a planned trip to the lodge where things once again get frustrating.

Cheers,

YK

good to know you are still alive ;)

little late but have you thought about trying outerwears material or filter cloth over the rad opening to try to help with the steam issue?

That sucks to buy a new sled and have all those problems. You just want to ride it after all, that's what you paid all that hard earned money for. I hope Yamaha gets this straightened out for you. Those quality issues you had with it are definitely not up to Yamaha's usually high standards. Good luck with it.

Back