• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shimming and turning Ski Blocks around greatly reduces

Have 6" Bergstrom Triple Pts., shims and ski savers on my Venture Lite with stock skis. Darting is minimal but still there. Removed the shims and turned the rubber blocks around, kept the ski savers on and now steering is almost effortless, can finally drive one handed. Darts only about 5% of the time in the worst rutted trails.
Turning the blocks around lifts the front of the carbide to enable it to carve its's own groove instead of following someone else's.

;)!

tkuss said:
We decide to turn around and about 3 miles down the trail my dad said the Engine just shut off and the engine light came on. He said he could hear all foreign noises just a bit before this happened. the key the primary spins but not the you can tell the engine does not turn over at all. So for all we know now the engine could be blown, or the starter shot, I have no clue.

Hate to tell ya, but sounds like another starter / reduction drive failure. This is becoming more common.

Just my own little twist to shimming the ski`s.
I always found that the little 1" wide shim would eventually sink into the ski rubber.

What I like to do is take an old plastic style cutting board, and cut 2 pieces the same size as the ski rubber. I made a jig for my router that allows me to trim it to a wedge. This shim rests agenst the entire ski rubber, and it then does not deform the rubber. I still use a small shim to see how thick the shim needs to be, and then i cut a wedge to that thickness. The shim also does not need to be screwed to the rubber.

I tried to add a pic, but I could not get to to upload

Weapon X
So just because a thread is old it is dead......

I belong to three other snowmobile forums, all of them have a link to this thread. In talking with a few people their complaint was the shimm not lasting because of sinking into the rubber. I told them what i do, and we felt posting it might help someone else.

Is a full size shim a bad idea in your opinion? or are you saying im too new to the forum to have a useful idea?

Totalrecall said:
Weapon X
So just because a thread is old it is dead......

I belong to three other snowmobile forums, all of them have a link to this thread. In talking with a few people their complaint was the shimm not lasting because of sinking into the rubber. I told them what i do, and we felt posting it might help someone else.

Is a full size shim a bad idea in your opinion? or are you saying im too new to the forum to have a useful idea?

I doubt he's saying your too new to have good ideas, a new member is a new way to look at think and is a good thing.

I have shimmed mine all the way across the rubber if that is what your saying? I have a pic of how I did mine somewhere il post it up when I find it.

Here it is...

Attachments

• Ski Shim.jpg
    Ski Shim.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 223
I for one appreciate the influx new of ideas. As far as digging up an old thread vs. Starting a new one.....Well, you can't please everyone. If you start a new thread, you are apt to get berated for not doing a search because it has been discussed before. This way, it is just more information in one location. It works for me.

You know what they say, different strokes for different folks.

I too have the darting problem, especially when I let off the throttle. I'm going to install a clutch kit to reduce the engine braking in addition to adding deuce bars and trying to get the suspension balanced.

Good luck!

Only difference is that i cut them to fit inside the pocket of the stock ski`s , And only costs me an old cutting board that would be getting thrown out anyway.

Attachments

• shimm 1r.jpg
    shimm 1r.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 208
  • shimm 2r.jpg
    shimm 2r.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 198
tmac220 said:
I for one appreciate the influx new of ideas. As far as digging up an old thread vs. Starting a new one.....Well, you can't please everyone. If you start a new thread, you are apt to get berated for not doing a search because it has been discussed before. This way, it is just more information in one location. It works for me.

I too have the darting problem, especially when I let off the throttle. I'm going to install a clutch kit to reduce the engine braking in addition to adding deuce bars and trying to get the suspension balanced.

Good luck!
I use to like that engine braking, weight transfer lundge in to a corner, to set the front end. But i agree, you are placing more on the front which then you'll really notice the darting. Riding aggressive, darting doesn't bother me much, just cruising it drives me nuts. I think if you have a lot of front end like i do, meaning a lot of 'bite', you're going to have darting?

tmac220 said:

Good luck!

I think a clutch kit will help since not as much weight will be thrown foreword. I would try shimming the skis and making sure the toe is set out correctly before spending cash on carbides. Unless you still have the stock like 1 or 2" carbide under there.

Back