• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I ditch the Simmon ski's?

Farmer 73

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 NYTRO RTX SE, 2012 VECTOR, 2001 SXR 600, 2001 PHAZER, 2000 PHAZER, 1983 ENTICER EXCELL III
This past summer I bought a used Nytro Se that had Simmons gen 1 ski's on it. I put a Star 128 relocate on it per experts on this site. The sled definitely handles flat! The problem I have is that the front end feels heavy and steers heavy. It might be the 4 stud boy 6" shaper bars that I have on it. I know overkill right! I have over 800 miles on them and they are half gone with some missing carbide. They like to dig down and find rocks at times. I was wondering what you guys think if I should try the stock ski's, which I also have, with a fairly aggressive carbide?

I would think 4" carbides should be plenty for a short track that is studded.

Pete

Pete, that is if I continue to use the Simmons ski's correct?

Yes. I had a set of gen 1 on my ZR 600 Arctic cat. They were a great ski and handled really well, but Nytro's are rider forward and higher center of gravity vs a ZR 600. I run Curve XS they increased the steering effort quite a bit on my XTX, but they hold the line and don't push in the corners like my tuners did. I only run 4" Carbides on them and my track is fully studded.

Pete

The Curve XS is just a single keel ski correct? You also only run 4" of carbide on them?

Wow that explains alot of what I did wrong. I have the stock ski's and a set of 7.5" shaper bars in the garage. I'm going to give that a try and see how it works out!

I wouldn't have a problem using the Simmons skis. Are they not pretty similar to the Skidoo Precision skis from the early Revs? I had a set on my Rev and loved them so much I almost tried to adapt them to my Nytro. Pretty sure I've seen threads on this site about others who have. Dual carbides work well for me, and that's why I like my Tuners. I have 2 and 4 " carbides on mine. I think the stock single runner would be a step backwards. Good luck, I hope you can make it work.

Single ski like Curves XS is not a step backwards trust me I had the Tuners.

Pete

Kurzy, I am using the stock skis. I have the 128 relocate which puts a lot of weight on the front end!

You were asking about whether to use the Simmons or the stock right? I suggested the Simmons. There are a variety of skis that guys use and love. Curves, Powderhounds, Tuners, C and A's,and lots of carbide combinations. You said you have 2 different sets of skis and which ones to use? You may be able to lighten the front end with some suspension set up. Good luck.

Thanks I will let you all know how this works out. I can always go back to the Simmons with 4" runners. If I feel the stockers with single runners are closer to the setup I want I will probably go with curves or usi's next year! Remember the 128 relocate changes the balance quite a bit!

Back