• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski Alignment

FrozenTows4

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sold
2017 ZR6000RS
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre
YOUTUBE
FrozenTows1
Just wanted to share my ski alignment process.
This only works if skeg mounts are far enough apart. SkiDoo guys will have to find their own system.
laugh.gif

I'm running stock Arctic Cat Ski's with 8" Bergstrom triple points with shims & ski savers.

001%20Alignment%20Bolt_zps0ssczy2k.jpg

003%20Alignment%20Bolt%20On_zpsgvclqz4c.jpg

004%20Two%20Alignment%20Bolts%20Mounted_zpspkliqgcy.jpg

We don't have to go wild on the ratchet straps. Just enough to hold the bars still.

002%20Handle%20Bars%20Straight_zpssjpfe2lt.jpg

I drilled one end of the aluminum 48" ruler to fit the alignment dowels.

Ski's parallel to the track is checked first. My right ski was pretty much spot on. Only the left has to be adjusted slightly.

005%20Ruler%20on%20Skis_zpsifn67ybs.jpg

Access to the inner tie rod jam nut is here.

007%20Tie%20Rod%20Boot_zps0oajmnfj.jpg

It's snug, but a wrench will fit on an angle.

008%20Inner%20Jam%20Nut_zpsytuwvbix.jpg

I think next time I'll bend a wrench to fit even better.

Then it's just tune the skis into alignment.

006%20Checking%20Ski%20Parallel_zpstuzzclj9.jpg

Spec it 1/16" - 1/4" Toe Out. I adjusted mine to 1/16" - 1/8" Toe Out. Depending upon if I was slightly spreading the skis, or drawing them together, gently by hand.

009%20Side%20View%20with%20Bars_zpstkscwt12.jpg

Then it's just a matter of double checking my work, insure the heim joints are level, and tighten things down.

A dribble of LocTite Blue is always a good idea.

Short test ride showed it tracked straight as an arrow, handle bars nice & straight, and no darting observed.

I'm convinced that ski alignment is a big player in minimizing darting.
Sled always tracked really well from dealer delivery. Just wanted to fine tune even further.
Additional testing will be needed after our trails improve.
I'll be back in a bit.

Just wanted to share my ski alignment process.
This only works if skeg mounts are far enough apart. SkiDoo guys will have to find their own system.
laugh.gif

I'm running stock Arctic Cat Ski's with 8" Bergstrom triple points with shims & ski savers.

001%20Alignment%20Bolt_zps0ssczy2k.jpg

003%20Alignment%20Bolt%20On_zpsgvclqz4c.jpg

004%20Two%20Alignment%20Bolts%20Mounted_zpspkliqgcy.jpg

We don't have to go wild on the ratchet straps. Just enough to hold the bars still.

002%20Handle%20Bars%20Straight_zpssjpfe2lt.jpg

I drilled one end of the aluminum 48" ruler to fit the alignment dowels.

Ski's parallel to the track is checked first. My right ski was pretty much spot on. Only the left has to be adjusted slightly.

005%20Ruler%20on%20Skis_zpsifn67ybs.jpg

Access to the inner tie rod jam nut is here.

007%20Tie%20Rod%20Boot_zps0oajmnfj.jpg

It's snug, but a wrench will fit on an angle.

008%20Inner%20Jam%20Nut_zpsytuwvbix.jpg

I think next time I'll bend a wrench to fit even better.

Then it's just tune the skis into alignment.

006%20Checking%20Ski%20Parallel_zpstuzzclj9.jpg

Spec it 1/16" - 1/4" Toe Out. I adjusted mine to 1/16" - 1/8" Toe Out. Depending upon if I was slightly spreading the skis, or drawing them together, gently by hand.

009%20Side%20View%20with%20Bars_zpstkscwt12.jpg

Then it's just a matter of double checking my work, insure the heim joints are level, and tighten things down.

A dribble of LocTite Blue is always a good idea.

Short test ride showed it tracked straight as an arrow, handle bars nice & straight, and no darting observed.

I'm convinced that ski alignment is a big player in minimizing darting.
Sled always tracked really well from dealer delivery. Just wanted to fine tune even further.
Additional testing will be needed after our trails improve.
I'll be back in a bit.
You need a big bungee cord on the ski tips. Loosen the tie rod nuts first, BEFORE you tie the handlebars off, much easier. Tighten the nuts when done, after taking straps back off. Otherwise, good writeup, good idea on the stud extender.

You need a big bungee cord on the ski tips. Loosen the tie rod nuts first, BEFORE you tie the handlebars off, much easier. Tighten the nuts when done, after taking straps back off...
Thanks. Sometimes I have a tendency to make things harder for myself.:oops:

Last edited:
Here is picture before I aliened it...I make it 0 toe.....the 2 x 2 steel tube runs the length of the aligned track..like you I use a square as well..

Attachments

• Align 2..jpg
    Align 2..jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 712

Back