• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski ice scratchers

gitrdun

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
07 Attak
I tried searching for flex ice scratchers on skis without much luck. So here is my install, on mountain skis,
DSC02767.JPG
DSC02796.JPG
DSC02795.JPG
DSC02801.JPG
but stock skis should be similar. The 1 1/4 X 7 1/4 strap at the rear bolt, is cut from a heavier truck tire inner tube.

Last edited:

I had thought about doing that with my flex ice scratchers too. Last year I had them on my rail but I have a 121 so I had to have them down all the time even when I didn't need them down. Wasn't sure how I would like them on my ski's or if they would interfere with steering.

I can't imagine it would affect the steering much since they are designed to flex and it shouldn't require a lot of down pressure in most conditions, to throw up a lot of snow. But, I can't speak from experience because I have not tried them yet. Hopefully in the next couple of days, ...IF IT EVER STOPS RAINING! I'll let you know.

Scratchers will work fine on the ski with no affect on the steering. I use the spring type because they are above the ski when not in use. mounted like above they will drag in the snow when soft and are in danger of being knocked off.

I took them for a ride today. Like TBay says, you don't even know that they are there. And worked perfect!

Went for a good 30 mile run on Sunday. The scratchers must throw a lot of powder because the skid was completely covered with 1/8, maybe 3/16 inch of ice, I suspect from the snowstorm around the muffler. The nytro beside me, actually mostly behind me, with rail scratchers was clean as a whistle. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Went for a good 30 mile run on Sunday. The scratchers must throw a lot of powder because the skid was completely covered with 1/8, maybe 3/16 inch of ice, I suspect from the snowstorm around the muffler. The nytro beside me, actually mostly behind me, with rail scratchers was clean as a whistle. Gotta take the bad with the good.
How come you did not just mount them on the skid like they were designed for,i hooked mine up today,but you must rotate the cable straight down in order for them to scratch at all.

On the rails, my 136 Attak has two wheels on each side up front, then as you head towards the back, there is not much meat to attach the scratcher to, so I've always been a little reluctant to go that route. As you get closer to the back wheels, they are obviously not as effective. On my skis, I have the older black covered Slidekicks which are 16 1/2 plus inches long. The newer Duraflex are about 12 inches long total, so they will probably position a little differently.

How come you did not just mount them on the skid like they were designed for,i hooked mine up today,but you must rotate the cable straight down in order for them to scratch at all.

Unless your skid is a 136 or longer, the rail mounted ones do very little compared to what gets kicked up mounting them to the skis. Lots of youtube vids that prove just that.

Dura flex instructions tell you to mount them minimum of 12" ahead of the rear axle, if my memory serves me right?

Dura flex instructions tell you to mount them minimum of 12" ahead of the rear axle, if my memory serves me right?

Minimum for sure but the higher/further away, the better, if you can find a spot.

I just put them on my 09 Nytro XTX and have not ridden with them yet. I mounted them just behind the front outer idler wheel. All the reviews I read said they work and one said he can now ride bare ice with out burning slides or over heating?

I mounted mine on my 2015 apex xtx just behind the middle outter wheels,there were two holes one on lower part of rail and one up top about 2.5 off the ground,which is what duraflex instructions suggests you run,but if you don't have them straight down,they wont scratch the surface,time will tell if they work,but one thing for sure,my buddy's attack w/out the scratchers and w/out the DuPont slides was sure heating up compared to mine.

I mounted mine on my 2015 apex xtx just behind the middle outter wheels,there were two holes one on lower part of rail and one up top about 2.5 off the ground,which is what duraflex instructions suggests you run,but if you don't have them straight down,they wont scratch the surface,time will tell if they work,but one thing for sure,my buddy's attack w/out the scratchers and w/out the DuPont slides was sure heating up compared to mine.

Sounds like mine are in the same place. Instruction's say to mount straight down so I did!

Back