• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slide Wear

frano

Extreme
I have a 2010 Vector GT with 1700 miles on the odo. I replaced the stock slides at 450 miles with the Yamaha graphite slides. After a few hundred miles on the replacement slides, I noticed wear almost to the wear line on the front of the slides near the curve. These graphites now have 1200 miles on them and are worn almost to the line, but evenly across the total slide area. I've read on this site about larger wheels and wheel brackets and am confused as to what to do. For the last 500 miles, the slide wear seems to have stopped and I'm wondering how many more miles I can put on the slides before really needing to replace them. I think I replaced the original set too soon. I'm from Western MA where the trails can be bumpy and hard and don't want to add or move wheels that may cause cracked or bent rail issues. What should I do? Thanks for your inputs

All I can say is that I installed larger idlers and I NEVER EVER WORRY about burning out my slides and NO CRACKED RAILS.

Wouldn't you like to experience that feeling too? Just do it.

No doubt Yamaha has a sled wear issue, but like you said they wear almost to the line quick then seem to stop! I have 5700km on my Vector and they are no where the wear line, I did however install anti-wear pads to my track. I replaced the slides on my XTX this fall with 7500KM and they were still good, I had my skid out for a track change so I changed them. I think a lot of people change their slides when they see the wear but they will last a long time once they get to that point! If you do decide to change the slides I would do something to help improve the wear (bigger wheels, anti-wear pads...) or you will be in the same boat in 400-500 KM again.

Marginal snow wheel kit up near the front and near the rear solved slide wear for me. 2005 Vectror. Berfore that the right side would wear down to the wear line quick! But I would leave them on and still get over 3000 miles after they wore down that far.

My dealer spoke to the Yamaha rep for me and the rep suggested to add the marginal wheel kit. I'm just not convinced the marginal wheel will solve the wear issue?

Wife has a 06 Vector GT 7,400 miles and slides still have a lot of meat left to them. Replaced battery last year and change oil, repack bearings every season. Six seasons of riding and nothing but the battery. This has been a true gas/go sled. I set track loose and never have had a wear issue. Trading up to a 2012 for next year and can only hope it is as dependable as this has been.

You need to run the track looser than the Yamaha spec. I got 2,900 miles on my OEM pair of hyfax with running my track so it sags around an 1" under its own weight. I ride 20% off trail and have never had any issues with ratcheting. I have 1,300 miles on my second set and they should go at least another 500 miles miles. This is all with crappy snow winters we have had in Michigan the last two years. G.B.

Just had my sled in at Woody's in Topsham, ME for the Cam Tensioner Replacement. While there, I had them replace the 4 front bogeys with the Excel X-Wheel kit (6 wheels 136mm). They installed the extra two wheels using the last rear bolt hole in the front of the frames and mounted them inboard. I also had them install the 4th wheel kit on rear and replace the outside rear wheels with aftermarket versions that have replaceable bearings. All wheels on skid (10 total now) have replaceable bearings.

They also pulled the straps up a notch and loosened the front shock 1/4". Should see minimal slider wear now (ones that were on there were gone after 1300 mi) and better steering and tippiness control with the adjustments they made since I'm 175lb and not 300lb that the factory sets the skid suspension up for.

Woody's did a great job and total bill was $900 for everything (Cam Tensioner replacement was $350 package deal) and included oil, filter, chain case lube, new drive belt, grease job. I dropped it off Tuesday and picked it up Saturday. It's a 3-1/2 hour round trip but they are the BEST around these parts.

I had 3600 miles on my slids!! Run track 1 1/2" under its own weight. Still more miles on them yet. Worn a little bit more on curve but not much.

I also have a 2010 VectorGT ltx. if you use bigger wheels or a wheel lowering kit, the end result is the same. The thing is, the stock wheel mounts all suck no matter the model year. The earlier years were a crappy single-bolt mount, 2010> uses a redesigned 2-bolt mount but is multi piece and still not as supportive as it could be.(STILL sucks). However 2010> now uses a quality wheel. Conclusion....2010> models , Pioneers lowering kit gets you a quality machined mount for your quality Yamaha wheel. < 2010 Pioneers kit gets you a quality machined mount for your mediocre Yamaha wheel. Either way you get much stronger mounts for less $$ than different wheels. I have mount kits and small-wheels-at-the-bend kits on 2 sleds with ALOT of miles and no issues...nuf said...hope this helps

RIYAMAHA said:
I had 3600 miles on my slids!! Run track 1 1/2" under its own weight. Still more miles on them yet. Worn a little bit more on curve but not much.

X2. This is 99.9% of all that's needed to get thousands of miles out of the slides.

The book spec for track tension is WAYYYY too tight, and especially for extrovert drivers. I have 1,500 miles on my '10 Vec & the slides look like new. I do have a small wheel kit near the back of the rails, but I don't think it's really doing much.

I also run 1 1/2" free sag on my '06 Apex, which as most know, does not have extroverts, & I have never had it slip/ratchet. I have about 800 miles since my last slide change on the Apex, also with no visual wear.

This wheel kit info sounds interesting. I looked up the Excel wheel kits on Excell Motorsports and on the Suspension 121 6 Wheel kit is says, " CK Dual Shock 6 wheel kit with mounting Hardwear for Fx Nytro,Nytro, Apex RTX and Vector models Kits fit all Dual Shock CK suspensions "Extra wheel mounting Kits coming soon for Mono Shock Suspension"

Guess I will have to wait for the kit for my 2012 Vector RS

Thanks for all the inputs. I just ordered six 135.8MM wheels from Excell and will install them and a new set of Yamaha graphite slides. Two sets of slides in one season is just too much. Lots of good knowledge/ideas on this site!

Back