• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Slydog skis and darting

View attachment 126516 View attachment 126517 after reading the whole thread on the double downs and how bad they push I would maybe try an SLP Keel Blade first . Less push , much less darting and better control. I have run them before and have great luck. much cheaper than new carbides
Hmm, this seems like a really good idea and would likely have the same effect as shimming the skis. I'm not clear how you would mount one with an existing carbide. Looks like the bolt would have to go through the same hole that the front carbide bolt uses. I haven't found any descriptive info online yet.

s-l225.jpg
The Keel blade goes on the front of the ski the back cut out goes around you front mounting bolt and you have to drill a hole for the bolt to stick through the top of the ski.

I'm guessing this could be done without taking the skis off by drilling pilot holes from the top using the keel blade as a template? I wonder if my ski loop would fit over the new bolt and nut sticking up on the top. Have you seen the instructions for this anywhere online? That would help sort it out for me.

They really don't give great instructions on this product.. The SLP ski's I installed on my daughters Yamaha has a very short loop and the extra bolt sticking through doesn't interfere.

You can also
upload_2017-2-7_14-44-40.jpeg
make your own. I took 1.5" Stainless pipe and cut it long enough to go over the first 2 bolts of the carbide. Make sure you round up both edges so they don't catch on anything. I have a pair of homemade ones on the wife's sled for the last 3 years and they are still ok.

Short summery : I have five sleds and five different skis plus I have tried a few more

Vector LTX, 7" powder hounds with Snow trackers ( worked awesome) All so Triple points and shim ( worked very good ) and 6" Shaper bars with the half pipe homemade keel blades ( worked well but heavier turning )

Vector shorty: Kimpex Arrows with 6" round bars on both keels . These are the best over all trail ski I have tried and have been running them for 6 years. Only down fall not wide enough for deep snow with these heavy Yamaha's

V-Max 600, SLP Tri Keel ski's , 6" round bar

V-max 500, C&a Razors, 8" round bar with home made half pipe keel blade, Nice ski for that sled but too heavy of steering for the 4-stroke Yamaha's

#*$&@ Doo 500, Yamaha Vector ski's with 6" Stud boy deuce bars. Tracks well on this sled..

I have tried the Ski Doo precision Ski's and liked them but they pushed in the corners . Shaper bars would have helped !

I have done it both ways . I bought some and then made my own. I explain basically how to do it in a post above. Take 1.5" I'd stainless Steel pipe. Cut in half. Round up both front and back . Make it long enough to fit over the first 2 bolts on the carbides. Drill holes and in stall. Cheap and they last

Last edited:
I installed Simmons gen III's with woody's 6" carbides...kinda hard steering at very slow speeds, but i am the king of the trail and make my own tracks at higher speeds. Love em on my venture mp

Now that I have some miles on my Slydogs, I concur with the opinions of most here that they dart a lot. After dropping that money on the skis and the mount modifications to get them on, I'm not about to abandon them. I notice the darting is worse when my wife is on the back of the sled.

Are there some dual carbides that will work with these skis? I am running 6" singles now. Would 3" be the right size for dualies?
I've had 7" Slydogs on my VL with Studboy Shaper bars and shimmed rubbers and find them work well with no noticeable darting. Also have 8" PH's on my TF with Triple points and no issues. Is your steering sloppy by any chance? As that will cause darting as well.

I've had 7" Slydogs on my VL with Studboy Shaper bars and shimmed rubbers and find them work well with no noticeable darting. Also have 8" PH's on my TF with Triple points and no issues. Is your steering sloppy by any chance? As that will cause darting as well.
I do have maybe 1/4 slop in the steering. Haven't gotten around to trying to fix that as it hasn't been getting worse and the fix seems pretty involved.

I do have maybe 1/4 slop in the steering. Haven't gotten around to trying to fix that as it hasn't been getting worse and the fix seems pretty involved.
If you only have 1/4" of play that is about as good as it gets I'd say and not worth fixing.

Do check the ski spindles and the two bushings at the inner tie rods.

So, I'm digging my old post out of the closet. I just rode for a few years with the setup I had and dealt with the darting. Ready to spend the money and try to eliminate some of the darting now since my carbides are worn. I'm confused about Studboy Shaper bars. https://studboytraction.com/product/shaper-bar/

Are these used in conjunction with carbides? Or are they also a carbide? Are the Shapers a bolt on to Sly dogs? I don't run studs on my VL, what length of carbides should I run?

Help me spend my money :)

I switched from shaperbars to Semi Aggressive Snowtrackers . This has been the best setup for the Slydog Powder Hounds I use . Slydogs and C&A use the same bolt pattern . You would have to drill a new hole in the front of the skis for the turned up tip on the Snowtrackers on my second set I ground some width down so I could drill the hole smaller . The keel gets thinner as it gets closer to the tip . I could take pics after I get back from Vacation.

Please do take some pictures when you get a chance. How do you match up the pattern of where the hole needs to go for the turned up tip in order to drill the hole in the ski? Might be worth a try, but yikes I don't know if I like the idea of drilling into my $$$$ Sly Dogs.

Back