• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Solid State Fuel Relay.

nitris223

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro MTX
Has anyone got a firm answer from any Yamaha tech or Rep. as to why the new SSR , the red one can not be used as a direct replacement for the load control and fan relay. I get told by the Yamaha dealer that Yamaha sent a letter out stating only to be used for fuel relay only with no explanation as to why it can't be used elsewhere. I see there are a lot of guys replacing all 3 relays with the new red one. Haven't heard of any issues. I sent a email to Yamaha to see what they come back with.

Just a shot in the dark but it's possible they've got thousands of them kicking around that need to be used up. Rather then put all new ssr's in they're only using them on the fuel pump relay.

It could be a load issue. Possibly it can only stand the load of the fuel pump. Being solid state, I could understand that. There is a big difference in current draw between a fuel pump and say, all the lights and especially the fan. The fan pulls so much current that the ECU will prevent reverse shifting (on Phazers, VL/MP) and turn off the rear hand warmers (on VL/MP) when the fan is running.

I only replaced the fuel pump and load control relays on the '07 FX. So far, all's good but I have HID's at 35W each instead of 55/60W halogens.

The fuel pump has a 10A fuse while the fan has 15A and the load control relay supplies power to several other circuits like the signal/brake light (7.5A), headlight (20A), Aux jack (3A) and reverse gear motor (4A). As far as I know, I have only heard of the fuel pump failing to work when it's cold although it's the same relay as the others.

I have had the load control freeze up and causing alot more problems than the fuel pump relay. This has only happened a few times, while the fuel pump relay freezes occasionaly. Go figure.

Anyone who has some real world experience with the red relay for load control?

Our sleds sit in a heated shop so the only moisture it gets , is when we ride on Saturday. This weekend while at a warm up shack the lights came on . Pulled the light fuse and the tail light stayed on. Looking in the relay part of the sled there was hardly a half cup of snow in there all together. Didn't happen until 7 hrs into the ride. Hot and cold , maybe built up some condensation. We did have some freezing rain that day also. It has been in a heated shop for the last 3 days and still turns on the tail light when I connect the battery. So it is not frozen but maybe welded stuck in the open position I guess.
Didn't feel like tinkering with it today, tackle it tomorrow maybe.

Apparently it's not a moisture issue but possibly the type of grease that is used inside that gets stiff. Anyway, my son's Phazer has been running fine with the red relay on the load control.

approximately 500 mile with them installed and no issue. I do carry the mechanical relays in the tool kit for back up but I don't believe they'll be needed. I'm not sure why the mechanical relays fail. They seem to be sealed and there is no grease in them to interfere with the contacts. I've taken a few off them apart and have yet to see any signs of moisture so I tend to believe it more of a materials issue. Under extreme cold conditions materials react differently and typically become mechanical and electrically "stiff".

Grizz you always do a solid job with pictures and info.....guys like you make this site was it is....thanks again

Could very well be a materials issue or just a bad design. Knowing the issues with the Yamaha relay at the time, I replaced the fuel pump relay on my MP two years ago with one from an automotive application (I believe a Toyota truck fog lights) and it's been fine since. It's a little bigger and couldn't use the stock mount and had to be zip tied but the connector configuration was the same.

Definitely, in extreme cold, things act differently :brrr:

I am going to cut the bad one apart and see if I can find anything wrong with it. Being sealed , the only way moisture can get in is from hot cold cycles and form condensation inside. I am leaning more towards just a out right mechanical failure and it welded itself in one place .

Would have been nice if they had 6" more wire and put the relay holder in a more accessible place.

I have put over 4000 miles on my 2008 Nytro in Minnesota, bought it new. The sled has sat outside the cabin on every sled trip, in -25 to 40 F temps, never had a no start issue due to relays. I do carry the new red one just in case. Guess I've been lucky! :)

I had a fuel pump relay as well as a load control relay go bad on me last winter. I cut the top off the load control relay just to see and it did indeed have moisture in it. It stuck open and would cause the dash to stay faintly lit. No more problems since but I carry spares with me all the time. Keep a spare main fuse and extra misc. fuses as well.

I got a email from a Yamaha dealer in the USA and he thinks Yamaha has not done any testing with the SSR in other locations in the relay holder because of fewer failure rates. He believes it is only used in the fuel relay location due to be the most common one to give trouble. Due to the fact that it has to work before the sled starts where as the other relays receive their full power after the sled has started. Being cold the relay may not get a full voltage shot at some point and cause the relay to stick. He also expressed his opinion that he see's no issue with using it in any of the other relay locations except for the Headlight relay . He did not receive any letter from Yamaha or know of any letter. This may be a Canadian thing but I highly doubt it. I think it was just a story because they did not know the real answer.

I have yet to receive a response from Yamaha Canada. The red relay will be going in this sled in the load control location.

Updated the relay location info in the Nytro FAQ:

Back