• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Speedometer accuracy?? on 2009 Apex?? UPDATE VS GPS

Rash

Expert
I had a 2006 ATTAK, and speedometer was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy off...

I had 115 on the speedo, and 103 on the GPS...

I now have a 2009 LTX...

Just wondering are the speedos any more precise??

Thanks..

:exc:

Those margins, about a 10% error, have been consistent with Yamaha snowmobilie speedometers for almost 20 years. Interestingly, the mileage is usually right on. Check your mileage error against your speed error on your GPS. That kind of error is unnecessary, of course since these are electronic speedometers and can be recalibrated just by writing different firmware -- in fact COULD easily be made to be user-calibrateable with a rocker switch, just like the electronic speedometer on my boat.

I don't know for sure about the 2009's, but I'd be astonished if they suddenly made the speed readings accurate after all this time.

Yamaha built the speedos to be off on purpose, they want you to think the sleds are faster than they are..

115 on the dreammeter is usually about 100mph on GPS..

If you remove 2 teeth from the reluctor wheel it will be about dead nuts, but the odometer will read off then..

I believe the next version of the Apex will be better since the Nytro's are only off by 4-5mph..

I wonder how the speedo can be so off and the mileage be ok?? It has to be purposfully made that way??

Rash said:
I wonder how the speedo can be so off and the mileage be ok?? It has to be purposfully made that way??

You are correct.. THey built it that way.. Makes for great hype when the mags tell people they are seeing over 120 on the speedo on a trail

I just heard it was better in 2009.... cause if not, i ain't going very fast with the stock machine..

I will do a gps comparo soon..

#$%&*

OK...

2009 APEX LTX...

SPEEDO: 104 MPH
GPS: 102 MPH...

RESULTS CONSISTANT AFTER 6 RUNS UP AND DOWN...

THAT IS PRETTY GOOD TO ME..

STOCK MACHINE..

ARROW SKIS.. :Rockon:

I wonder why the change for 09? It would be nice to think my 06 is actually moving at 120 when it says it is, but we all know the real truth. Thanks for posting your findings!

Back