• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Star Suspension kit for XTX skid

I know theres not much snow this year :o| but is there any more updated reports on how well this upgrade is working in different conditions??

If I were to keep my XTX for next season I would strongly consider getting this kit. Having spent 2 seasons on Mytro, the XTX has too much friction built into the skid therefore make it difficult to set calibrations for stutters and bid bump compliance. Going to Penske's custom Axis shocks was a significant improvement but still not enough. This is very tempting to try out..

badsled, Can I ask what the penske shocks ran. My buddy used to run them all the way around on his race sled and they were a sick amount of money. I cant imagine they are any cheaper today?

jp111 said:
badsled, Can I ask what the penske shocks ran. My buddy used to run them all the way around on his race sled and they were a sick amount of money. I cant imagine they are any cheaper today?

My set up brand new would cost me over $3,000 at this point. I was fortunate to find mine used for much less..

http://www.hygearsuspension.com/CustomAxis_Price.html

Would like to hear more about this kit myself. There isn't anyone out there with some miles on this kit yet?

Also wondering how this would work with JRE's kit.

;)!
Just got back from a 2300km / 6 day run through Northern Quebec. I had my shocks revalved and installed them with the Star Suspension kit the week before this run. Wow! What a difference! It took a few tweaks to fine tune out on the trail but the combination works great. Unfortunately with snow conditions back home it wasn't possible to do each separately to ride and compare. So was it the shocks or the Star kit? All I can say is do it! One riding buddy commented on the aggressive difference in my riding. Crusing down the trails and hitting the occasional jumps, this suspension now sucks it all in with out bottoming. Did it bottom out during the 6 day run, yes but not like before. You can now even sit on the seat with out it kicking you off.

I also ordered the Excel Wheel kit but it didn't arrive in time. So before our run this weekend up to James Bay from Cochrane i hope to pull the skid out again check it over and record all the setting to give a starting point for others who install one of these kits.

With the Split Rails Skis, Star Suspension kit, and the shock revalving, the Nytro will not be the handicap, now it is the rider.

Attachments

• 003 (800x600).jpg
    003 (800x600).jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 386
  • 004 (800x600).jpg
    004 (800x600).jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 426
  • 005 (800x600).jpg
    005 (800x600).jpg
    369 KB · Views: 409
  • 015 (800x600).jpg
    015 (800x600).jpg
    325 KB · Views: 349
  • 015 (800x600).jpg
    015 (800x600).jpg
    325 KB · Views: 398
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 257
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 238
kit

Worth every penny. I installed the kit and had them do all my shocks front to back. Gave them my weight and how I rode. I installed everything and don't have to touch a thing. Transfer is amazing, sag is gone, eats bumps, doesn't buck. These guys know thier stuff. This is how the skid should have been engineered.

These reports are very encouraging. My 2011 XTX skid needs some help and the star kit may be the answer. I'd like to know how it performs without a shock revalving and if revalving is a requirement.

revalving

Don't think it is required, they will advise you how to setup, I had my skid out and was impressed with them and was on vacation for a week so I got them to do all my shocks when I was gone. My 09 rear shock is known for blowing so I got them to reinforce it as well. Check out thier website www.starsuspensions.com .

Depending on the age and how much pounding you have done on your shocks you should do seals anyways and then revalve. I did my shocks at ShockTec in Drayton,ON.

This kit also raises the shock bottom mount up so it no longer rubs the track.

Love the feedback guys! Encourging news for sure! Yamatario, do you happen to know the specs that ShockTec used when re-valving?? I had mine done by my local shock guy with some improvement in the stock skid. Not 100 percent sure where they are at right now. I know he slowed the rebound in the front shock, but not sure about the rear. Id be curious to know what needs to be done to make them work with the Star kit.
Thanks, and keep the feedback coming

Sno-Xr said:
Love the feedback guys! Encourging news for sure! Yamatario, do you happen to know the specs that ShockTec used when re-valving?? I had mine done by my local shock guy with some improvement in the stock skid. Not 100 percent sure where they are at right now. I know he slowed the rebound in the front shock, but not sure about the rear. Id be curious to know what needs to be done to make them work with the Star kit.
Thanks, and keep the feedback coming
I'm not sure of all the details, but he did 2 stage valving. You could even ask Robert from Star Suspension for recommendations as he does revalving also.

this kit looks like at great upgrade over the harsh stock rear skid. does it indeed plush out the small stutters and allow the rear skid to work better???

any others who have installed it your feedback is appreciated.

thx

Yamatario,

With the star suspension, on the rear transfer arm did you have to drill any holes on those aluminum support brackets? The instructions on the web site state you have to drill the holes for that arm, but it looks like you used the same hole for the wheels.

Thanks

Andrew

PoliticalMachine said:
Yamatario,

With the star suspension, on the rear transfer arm did you have to drill any holes on those aluminum support brackets? The instructions on the web site state you have to drill the holes for that arm, but it looks like you used the same hole for the wheels.

Thanks

Andrew

Yes I had to drill one hole on both sides through the rails using the Star bracket as the template.

Back