• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter advise.

phibberz

hey all,

I've went through the process of replacing starter relay and other relays over the summer and still just clicking and then whining. Everything I read points at the starter being the culprit and also saw the starter saver advice too. Are you guys using aftermarket starters? Anyone point me in a good direction for a solid part replacement when I open this up? I have read some tricks on how to get at it as well so I appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Mike

sounds like a bad or weak spragg clutch on the starter.

I did search for a link but was having no luck.

was sled ran a lot with automotive synthetic oil in it?

Mike:
I would stay away from aftermarket for 2 reasons.
1. The starters are a royal PITA to change out and you don't want to do this job twice
2. The only starter I ever replaced was an aftermarket on my buddy's 09 XTX. Starter failed after two weeks. Replaced with OEM and its worked flawlessly since (1 year so far).

The other thing you can do is replace the starter motor brushes only. They are wear part that usually causes your starter to stop working (assuming its not relays) and usually the rest of the starter (bearings/armature/stator) are in good shape even though the brushes are toast. You can find them in the parts listing from Yami, and cost around 50-70$ if I remember right. Its is a simple job to change brushes too.

My 2 cents.
OTM

Sorry for the delay...didn't see any replies til now..thanks for the comments:

-It clicks very loud and almost every time it has a high pitch sound that goes up and down some in volume...

-Sled was run some with synthetic motor oil yes, Mobil1...

-I have heard of folks replacing brushes and things go back to normal...I think that may be worth a try, although I am concerned as maim is mentioning spragg clutch...

Any more thoughts I appreciate!

Sorry for the delay...didn't see any replies til now..thanks for the comments:

-It clicks very loud and almost every time it has a high pitch sound that goes up and down some in volume...

-Sled was run some with synthetic motor oil yes, Mobil1...

-I have heard of folks replacing brushes and things go back to normal...I think that may be worth a try, although I am concerned as maim is mentioning spragg clutch...

Any more thoughts I appreciate!

Also - I did replace all relays...

New update tonight:

Sled a custom remote start installed when i purchased - I removed this and took all the extras off the sled to limit where the issue may be coming from - after removing the remote starter and LED lights from the system - same result...clicks once every time I hit the key...some times it whines for a short bit others no whining...

Also - the gauge goes off then I hit the key to start position ...now I was thinking a ground possibly? Let me know thoughts?

Also - when key is turned to start the right post does not nearly have the power the left side does in comparison with the tester...

Last edited:
Other things to check:
1. Battery voltage (is your battery OK? Check with multimeter, not tester. Battery at rest should be approximately 12.7 volts fully charged and when you hit the key, voltage should drop but stay above 11.5-12 volts. If voltage tanks, battery is likely toast. If in doubt, try a car battery.
2. Check the starter solenoid for function. It can be bypassed using a screwdriver or jumper cables. They can cause trouble.
On the starter, the "randomness" of starts if often that the brushes in the starter contact the stator in some positions and not in others, so if you hit the key and the motor kicks and rotates slightly, the brushes may move to an area of the stator where it's not in contact.

Maim I think is referring to the one way clutch that the starter is attached to. They can fail, but it is super rare on the Nytro.

My bet is a crapped out battery or the starter.

OTM

Other things to check:
1. Battery voltage (is your battery OK? Check with multimeter, not tester. Battery at rest should be approximately 12.7 volts fully charged and when you hit the key, voltage should drop but stay above 11.5-12 volts. If voltage tanks, battery is likely toast. If in doubt, try a car battery.
2. Check the starter solenoid for function. It can be bypassed using a screwdriver or jumper cables. They can cause trouble.
On the starter, the "randomness" of starts if often that the brushes in the starter contact the stator in some positions and not in others, so if you hit the key and the motor kicks and rotates slightly, the brushes may move to an area of the stator where it's not in contact.

Maim I think is referring to the one way clutch that the starter is attached to. They can fail, but it is super rare on the Nytro.

My bet is a crapped out battery or the starter.

OTM

Thanks for the reply...I had the day off today and spent hours doing the breakdown and removal of a faulty starter. I replaced the starter selonoid as the easy fix but failed...so I removed the feed wire to the starter from the selenoid and it acted correctly and did not ground out etc. When hooked up I had no power to the right side(starter feed) and the gauges would all go out. so I moved to the starter being my issue. After some hours for removal, upon opening the starter the brushes looked ok, but I did find signifigant black particals in the cap and then to see the magnetized shell in pieces throughout the starter. It caused severe damage to the starter and I have decided to replace the entire unit, I am ordering this tonight. The starter was grounding out due to all the breakdown internally causing it to feed back through and shut down everything else when triggered with the start position.

Thanks to all for the help! At least I learned more about the sled in the process and will go over all connections on the sled...adding dielectric grease to them all to prevent corrosion etc.

Back