• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter problem?

brmurph

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 APEX XTX
This is on my buddy's 2011 Vector that left him stranded yesterday but posting here as the Vector forum doesn't look that active and I assume the starter is pretty much the same on both sleds. We need to get it fixed for big ride next weekend :).

Anyway the starter solenoid just clicks, the starter doesn't do anything. We jumped the solenoid on the trail and got big spark (so battery seems good, also it is new) but no crank. We also were only able to turn the primary clutch one direction (can't remember which direction now) which I believe points to a locked starter? Any thing else to test for? If agreed that it is the starter anyone have any suggestions on how to replace? We can't even see it so not sure how to get to it. I can't seem to find much on starter replacement except it might be $1000.00 at the dealer :-(.

Any help appreciated. I feel a little responsible for him buying a Yamaha, first Yamaha sled he has owned in 35 years and he has loved it up until now :). We are both pretty mechanical and would love to get this fixed before the big ride next weekend .

Thanks in advance.

same as a vector for starter replacement witch is what it sounds like you need. sounds like the magnets in the starter broke loose and piled up in it. grizztracks has replaced them and i think he did a write up on it as i have never done one. i do know you need to get at it from the bottom through the acess plate and i think the rear motor mount needs to come out/apart from what i have seen.

Look up Grizztracks post for stater replacement. I just did this project on my 06 Vector. You dont have to remove engine. Read Grizztracks post for process. You need to remove FRONT engine mounts then lift engine enough to get the starter out. Replace starter and put back together.

thanks for correcting me viper7mi.

Thanks all, especially for the suggestion to look at grizztracks posts, lots of good info out there under grizztracks :), thats what I needed. I thought we were going to have a convert from Polaris to Yamaha but after it took him 6 hours to remove the starter and who knows how long it will take to put it back together he said this thing is going for sale as soon as its running again (which unfortunately will be after our big ride this weekend :-(. I don't think the break down was really the issue, it was all he had to remove (exhaust, motor mounts, steering, etc) to get to the starter (6 hours).

I have a 2012 APEX XTX so now of course I don't want to run into what he ran into so I am looking into some type of starter saver that I have read about on this forum. Are there different types or do they all pretty much just lite up when there is power to the starter? It would be nice to have something that would automatically shut off power to the starter (I guess that is called a starter solenoid :) but not sure that is available and if not what is the best way to cut power to the starter?

Thanks again.

rocks toyz makes a starter saver light. have them in a few sleds.

dang, looks like he did it the hard way with all he removed.

sounding like he needs some one to set up his suspension for him to enjoy it better.

dang, looks like he did it the hard way with all he removed.
I think you might be right but I have to give him credit for going after it so quick, I would have to spend a week on the forums before I could even start LOL. That being said I have yet to see a simple step by step for replacement of the starter?

Thanks!

Just change the relay every few years and forget about the starter light.
Starter on apex easy to change

apex starter is right next to the oil filter. have not had to change one on a apex/rx yet in 12 years but i am due lol with the 11 having 18000 mi of my abuse.

So after reading some more about the solenoid not releasing and causing the starter to run for maybe 35 miles or so do we need to look into anything else other then the starter and the solenoid? It seems there is a clutch/spring and what not that should be checked and possibly replaced as well, also is this from normal wear or from running the starter for 35 miles:)? Is that a big job? Anything else? BTW the old starter was completely froze up, could not turn it in either direction. Thanks.

The one way bearing. Stick your finger in the hole the starter pokes into and turn the gear the starter meshes with. It should only turn one way and no chipped teeth. If it is working as stated put sled back together and run it. If not sidecover of motor needs to come off and flywheel pulled.

You stated in your first post that you could only get the engine to turn over in one direction. You should never turn a four stroke engine over backwards. The starter will be the least of the problems at that point. Like maim posted the magnets most likely came loose from the housing.

cannondale27 thanks for the info.

Elton can you elaborate a little on reversing the motor? We did that check (turn primary backward) on the trail as a suggestion from this forum to debug if it was the starter locked up or not. We couldn't turn the Vector back at all but no problem on the APEX (it was only turned an inch or so each way). Anyway just trying to understand the consequences of turning the motor backwards? Do you think just an inch or two could still cause problems?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You take a very big risk of jumping a tooth or more on the cam chain. The tensioner only excerts pressure in the forward direction.

cannondale27 thanks for the info.

Elton can you elaborate a little on reversing the motor? We did that check (turn primary backward) on the trail as a suggestion from this forum to debug if it was the starter locked up or not. We couldn't turn the Vector back at all but no problem on the APEX (it was only turned an inch or so each way). Anyway just trying to understand the consequences of turning the motor backwards? Do you think just an inch or two could still cause problems?

Thanks.
It is very rare for that to happen, and is most likely on an engine with higher miles that will have a worn chain(longer) and/or weak tensioner.
The tensioner does have pressure no matter which way the engine is turned, but the way it is laid out, it will have more pressure against it when turned backwards.
https://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/59483a5b87a8661238ac62f9/camshaft-chain

Back