• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steering my 07 Phazer

Haudy991

Veteran
I got my phazer in my garage to get it ready for snow. I have stock skis and the steering is very darty and they are useless in the little powder riding i do. Will putting 6" doolys help that? Or do I really need to buck up and buy new skis?

Thanks

Skis will help, but try the Dooly's or some shaper bars.

Haudy991 said:
I got my phazer in my garage to get it ready for snow. I have stock skis and the steering is very darty and they are useless in the little powder riding i do. Will putting 6" doolys help that? Or do I really need to buck up and buy new skis?

Thanks
Look up the thread that has "ski shimming" it's the cheapest and most effective way to eliminate any darting!! Even go to the Bergstrom carbide site and he has a full arcticle on how to do it... Good luck

also check that your front end is tight.

ski spindles,
ball joints,
steering bushings
etc.

The slop in the steering will cause a darting like condition as well. The ski starts to turn before the handlebars do.

Phazer

Eliminated the darting on my wifes Phazer by shiming the skis and putting one 6 inch dual carbide on the right ski. Just the right ski, left the 6 inch single carbide on the left ski. no daring.

Shimming the skis and adjusting the toe out just may solve your darting problems. Along with making the steering, ball joint as tight as you can make it.

If you can turn the handle bars and feel a lot of slop then the skis will jump around that much before your hands can hold it steady.

I would start with shimming and checking the toe, very cheap just takes a little time. You could be surprised by how much darting it will take away, I know I was.

I put 4 inch duals on my 08 and have zero darting ... still pushes on the corners in the trails anybody have a tried fix before I blow cash on some pilots?

Lee Rivers said:
I put 4 inch duals on my 08 and have zero darting ... still pushes on the corners in the trails anybody have a tried fix before I blow cash on some pilots?
Bergstrom Triple Point carbides or I use Shaper bars. Bergstrom are the best. Check this old thread out also.
www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=84201 ... bdad794ca0

Lee Rivers said:

You could try bringing the limiter strap tighter by a hole. This will put more weight on the skis.

woodys make an updated dual runner called the slim jim. these are probably the best and cheapest fix. cures darting and pushing in the corners. they come in 4 in, 6 in and 10 in. i bought the 6 in and have been totally impressed. gives the XP guys red faces trying to keep up.

I started disassembling the front end last night. There seems to be alot of slop in the front end but could not find anything wore. Is that how they are? I decided to go with 6" doolys and shim the skis like suggested.

Haudy991 said:
I started disassembling the front end last night. There seems to be alot of slop in the front end but could not find anything wore. Is that how they are? I decided to go with 6" doolys and shim the skis like suggested.
It's hard to detect but most of your play is in the steering mixer under the airbox. I ripped my wife's Phazer apart and didn't think anything was worn bad until I had that in my hand. Hopefully UP BUshman's fix will remedy it!!

Thanks for the info on the SLIM JIMS...when I bought the 4" I was told the 6 " would be to grabby in the corners .. should have joined TY 4 STROKE when I bought my sled..

Back