• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Subframe removal, Where to support the front?

moab11

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SKS 155
I am in the process of taking the subframe off my my 09 XTX and am not sure where to put jack stands or anything to support the motor that also won't get in the way.

Also I am going to be taking the track off possibly with the subframe removed still to balance points will need to account for this.

Thanks for your help! and pics are extremely appreciated!

Jeff

I know I have seen a pic or two of the sled supported from the bottom somewhere, but I can't seem to remember where.

Hanging it from the top could be done, but would be more work and not easy to move around the shop when needed.

Alright, looks like in the pic, they also removed the engine brackets and are supporting the sled by the oil pan. but at lease it gives me a better idea of where I can place some stuff.

Does anyone else have any pics they can share or maybe some tips?

Jeff

I had my subframe out and my sled was setting on the snowmobile lift. Here is a picture before i removed the subframe. The front cross bar is tight to the track and it seems very stable. I'm guessing the if you are removing the rear suspension as well, you would want to move the front support forward about 5" or so. This would allow you to still get the subframe out, while transfering some more weight to the rear of the sled, preventing it from becoming front heavy.[/img]

Attachments

• 0425111950[1].jpg
    0425111950[1].jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 129
I got the sled lift from Hyperformance Parts. It is made by American Manufacturing. If you look up eagle plows on the internet, you will find the manufacture's website. You might be able to order it factory direct. If you order the wheel kit like I did, make sure you get wheels that actually fit the brackets. I had to send the casters back.

Next, my stock subframe weighs about 21 pounds. Making one of them out of titanium would be sweet! Significant weight savings with added strength. I don't think paying $1000+ for one would be much fun though!

Thanks, I've been looking at getting one for a while now, seems like yours lifts the sled pretty high!

31" if I remember right. I really like it. Although I am going to have to make a drill attachment to raise the sled. The manual cranking to lift the sled gets old fast. I do like the wheel kit also. Then I can move the sled around while it is in pieces.

Sled lift works best, I used a little bit of a cheaper route:
DSC01460.jpg

By my 3rd subframe I found that you can use the old ones to hold up the front end too, this way I could change subframes right on the trail ;)!

Back