• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sway bar recommendation

mtotguy

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Rush 800, 2014 Viper RTX, 1983 Excel 3
I was planning to install a Schmidt Bros sway bar this year. They aren't making them anymore. Is anybody using a sway bar that is working well for them?

I don't run a sway bar. Just run a lot of air in my shocks

Chris at SBM is designing a new sway bar. He told me they will be much cheaper than his previous model, It's a bit of a ush but he's testing them as we speak and need to find a supplier for what he needs. Should come out soon if i remember right.

kojack said:
Chris at SBM is designing a new sway bar. He told me they will be much cheaper than his previous model, It's a bit of a ush but he's testing them as we speak and need to find a supplier for what he needs. Should come out soon if i remember right.
That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy after dishing out $560 for one. :o|

Well it all comes down to a comparison to how much trail to how much freeride or carving a guy is doing. If your riding 75% of the time trail than throw on a nytro swaybar otherwise a guy could do away with it a ram more air into the front shocks.

I agree.The swaybar does not fix the skilift in highspeed cornering.All you need to do to see this is watch your outside ski.It compresses but at point of inside ski lift it is not compressing anymore.Since its not compressing anymore the swaybar will not compress the inside ski anymore.Its high c.o.g. causing this.Think about it and look while its happening.

sway bar

cannondale27 said:
I agree.The swaybar does not fix the skilift in highspeed cornering.All you need to do to see this is watch your outside ski.It compresses but at point of inside ski lift it is not compressing anymore.Since its not compressing anymore the swaybar will not compress the inside ski anymore.Its high c.o.g. causing this.Think about it and look while its happening.

I disagreee... The outside ski won't compress anymore at this point because the sway bar is trying to compress the inside ski as well. If you were to disconnect the sway bar at this point the outside ski would compress more and roll would increase. Indy cars do a lot of high speed cornering and they all have sway bars on them.

You are correct but I didnt say anything about removing the swaybar.What I meant was with stock bar the outer ski is not being compressed at time of inside ski lift therefore any swaybar would not help reduce tippiness or ski lift at that point.

i removed mine last year as it never felt stable anyway. had all shocks revalved by Accelerated Technologies, and it is truly amazing this year. still no sway bar
. i highly recommend figuring out the dampening before you look for a new sway bar. the stock Yamaha package is less than capable. i have the bruises to prove it.

I have never had a sway bar on my sled since I got it. On the lake the sled dosent exactly inspire confidence when cornering about 40mph. Would a sway bar help remedy that? Otherwise how would one adjust the shocks to best fix this? Sorry for the highjack

Had the Nytro bar (stock on phazer MTX) and ski lift was very UNPREDICTABLE and when the inside ski decided to lift It usually popped a good 6"+ off the ground. I currently run the GT setup on the weakest setting and love it. Seems to corner better and the ski lift is now predictable and A LOT more controllable. The down side is you need GT lower arms but I got the Arms, bulkhead, swaybar, and steering rods for 300$ off Craigslist! The Ohlins help a bit too!

Back