• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

talk me out of buying a skidoo over a Ntyro

RTX SE

Reliability! I have an 09 RTX SE with the trail tank. 150+ a tank riding fast trail. Just put the Nytro mouse ears on and your hands won't freeze. Takes a while to get used to the look (i have the black set and the white set) couldn't decide but they grow on you after a while. I also have had skidoos. Either sled would be a good choice. ;)!

And if anyone know's anything about Ski doo's it's the Captain. Trust me ;)!

I have my own take on it...forget the e-tec if you are an agressive rider (likes to rip long and hard) as it wont last..a sdi is slightly better....the fourstroke has the most promise...but they are new to the dance...I;ll wait a bit on that lady...
here is my real point...take a look at the complete sleds construction...look at the tie rods....bulkhead mounting points etc....the doo is extremely flimsy....Im making a prediction here and now....5 yrs from now there will be a lot of doo's that needed or have had the structure put back to gether from falling apart...
as to the guage...going too fast to care for now...
as to the gas...care for sure....I feel the gas caddies saddle bags is the best idea...instead of having 20 lbs up front of over the motor (blocking the spark plugs in the rare circumstance of needing change) I'll take the 20 at the rear balancing out the weight distribution..

I don't think the etec should even be in consideration when considering a Nytro. If I was going to get a 2 stroke Doo it would be the 800R without a doubt.

You should be looking at the 1200. Thats what my decision came down to. The 1200 or the Nytro.

It came down to what I got a better deal on. Which happened to be a leftover XTX. I did REALLY like the 1200 gade though. I was actually leaning more in that direction. I felt that the XR chassis was a little more comfortable for me cause it allowed me to move my feet further forward for those long trail days.

It also had a little meaner look to it than the Nytro. That being said it does't come close to the fit and finish of the Yamaha.

Now the main thing that I liked about the Nytro is the engine. I know the 1200 is a little faster on the top but everyone referred to it as "sneaky" fast. To me that doesn't sound like its going to make me grin from pinning the throttle. An interesting note. I read in a recent magazine that of the sleds they tested , the XTX was only beaten by 1 last year in the 1/4 mile. And that was the Z1 Turbo. Not bad if you ask me. SO I was willing to give up a little trail comfort for the engine.

Now I cant wait for snow!

TurboJamie said:
Fathers 600 Etec ran flawless over 3000 miles last winter, with excellent fuel economy. Tough to beat that little sled, light weight and great mileage, his was also a renegade.

My 800R has a little over 3500 miles and I just sold it never skipped a beat. 90% northern ontario riding high speed and off trail in waste deep powder. Seem like good sleds to me.
Did you have any belt issues with your 800,i just gave up on belt issue after another,plus the motor after 2700 miles sounded like it would come apart very soon,so back to the apex and i am smiling again,and feeling safe while riding along,which i do alot,ya there were alot of good things about the doo,but the bad things were just to overwelming!!

I've got a XTX and a 4Tek Doo Renegade X. They are not comparable sleds.

The XTX is a rough, on/off trail, stand up style sled. The 1200 Doo Gade is a much softer ride, more of a sit-down trail crusier.

The Doo is a little quicker on top end, but the Nytro gets there quicker.

The Doo handles better than the Nytro. Period. No matter how much set up you do. The yellow guys have a handle on the handling thing

The Doo sounds like grannys Caddy going to the grocery store. The Nytro sounds like a crotch rocket that is ready to tear someones face off.

If I could only have 1 sled and had to choose between these 2, it would definately be the Nytro. Just more fun to ride! As far as buying a ETek, who in their right mind would even consider owning a series III Doo engine? It's not a question of 'if' it's going to blow up, it's just a matter of 'when?' it's going to blow up! :4STroke:

Hi! I'm new to the site and I just made the switch from Ski-Doo to Yamaha. My last sled was the Mach Z 1000 SDI. I have to admit I think I'm going to miss that sled. That thing was a rocket on rails on groomed trails and lakes. Alot of people had problems with the Ski-Doo's but I never had a problem. From what I saw with the Ski-Doo was that they were inconsistent. So people never had a problem like me, but then my brother with an identical sled lost a piston and burned up. But that was then and this is now. I am the new owner of an 09' RTX SE which I'm going to use for the USCC racing this year. I looking forward to seeing what the sled is like on the trails. I hope I'm not disappointed with the switch.

Traded my 04 800x on my nytro.. holy crap is this a better sled than I imagined. Like fastpig says, some are good and some are bad(skidoo's). I'll tell you stock, modded or in between my skidoo cost me a $100 belt ever 200 miles without a dought.. For me the thing that sold me on the nytro was the throttle response. I couldn't believe that a 4 stroker could run like that; and the "blipability" is second to none, even with the extra wieght. Now we put on 200 plus a day since I'm not wrenching all the time :4STroke:

legends14x said:
Traded my 04 800x on my nytro.. holy crap is this a better sled than I imagined. Like fastpig says, some are good and some are bad(skidoo's). I'll tell you stock, modded or in between my skidoo cost me a $100 belt ever 200 miles without a dought.. For me the thing that sold me on the nytro was the throttle response. I couldn't believe that a 4 stroker could run like that; and the "blipability" is second to none, even with the extra wieght. Now we put on 200 plus a day since I'm not wrenching all the time :4STroke:

I considered a 1200 doo but the money difference was stupid crazy different...besides...
a yamaha has never left me stranded...I think the last time I even blew a belt was in 94 on my 93 vmax 4 (about 15 yamahas ago) ....the odds of getting a bad motor seems like 1 in 1000 compared to a 50-50 crap shoot..
I'll take damn good and dependable over excellent and risky...
...sure the doos have always handled better...but what good is handling if you are worried about blown belts or worse blown motors...another couple yrs on the 1200 doo and for me it could be considered that.

I think in general the quality and engineering on the Yams is far superior to the doo...the better handling of the doo to me is mostly from lighter weight parts and parts doing double duty / reduction of mass
...any gain here to me offsets what seems like a weak overall build and possibly an unrealiable and questionable chassis longevity..(for an agressively ridden sled over time)

Easy Rider said:
I've got a XTX and a 4Tek Doo Renegade X. They are not comparable sleds.

The XTX is a rough, on/off trail, stand up style sled. The 1200 Doo Gade is a much softer ride, more of a sit-down trail crusier.

The Doo is a little quicker on top end, but the Nytro gets there quicker.

The Doo handles better than the Nytro. Period. No matter how much set up you do. The yellow guys have a handle on the handling thing

The Doo sounds like grannys Caddy going to the grocery store. The Nytro sounds like a crotch rocket that is ready to tear someones face off.

If I could only have 1 sled and had to choose between these 2, it would definately be the Nytro. Just more fun to ride! As far as buying a ETek, who in their right mind would even consider owning a series III Doo engine? It's not a question of 'if' it's going to blow up, it's just a matter of 'when?' it's going to blow up! :4STroke:

That's interesting... I did not think the 4tek was that much faster then the XTX, if any at all. I know they are faster then the Nytro 121, but from what I have read the XTX and 4 tek are pretty even. I also heard that once clutched properly that a 1200 will run or beat a clutched and tuned 800R. What will a well setup XTX do to a renegade 800R? :flag:

pat the rat said:
that seems like a good honest write up about the 2 sleds

I agree !

think about this..

If you took the pilot skis off the doo and put on the nytro and the nytro skis on the doo....what would the difference be???????????

I think significant......

I've got an 09 XP 800r X package and I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it gets bad gas mileage when you're on it hard. I ride the U.P. and ride faster than most and love to hammer it out of the corners and every long stretch and I can still get 150+ miles on a tank of gas. My 2003.5 REV 800 never blew up and had about 8,000 miles on it when I sold it last year still running strong. I bought a boosted Nytro this summer so I'm anxious to ride it and see how it compares with my XP. After I get some miles on the Nytro I'll decide which one I'm selling. I love how the XP handles and in stock form it has a ton of power and I got 1500 miles on the original belt which is still on the sled. My problem is I'm a Horsepower junkie so I'm really hoping I can get the Nytro to handle close to the XP so I can keep it but we'll see. The Nytro is a 2008 RTX with an MPI supercharger making about 240HP. Praying for early snow.

Back