• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

talk me out of buying a skidoo over a Ntyro

Our local Ski-doo dealer told me last week that there WILL be a 800 ETEC next year. He also mentioned a supercharged 1200 4tec.

I see..good to know...wonder why they didnt bring it this year then?

dont you think they'd focus on the 800 as a priority first..?
I bet the e-tec bumped to 4 because they were too lean and going "squeek"....

so you also believe the mystery H O 1200 is in the making...hopefully this pushes yam to bring it too![/quote]

I was thinking ski-doo would have the supercharged or turbo 1200 this year as well. I think ski-doo is going to go the 4stroke route for putting out its big horsepower (170+) and not go back to a big 1000 2stroke.

As far as a 800 etech, I have no clue. I have heard on sites like this that dealers say it is coming out, and I have also heard that it is really hard to make a 800 etech reliable. I have no inside info, so I have no clue what ski-doo is coming out with.

I do know that the xp chassis is tempting. I sure would like to lose 150lbs off my Apex and see what kind of differences it makes.

So far though I have 9500 miles on my Apex with a blown belt at 5000 miles and I just changed the belt again at 9500 so it doesnt blow. Other than exhaust donuts and a few bearings. It has been gas and go for me and I have been loving every minute of it with my Yamaha.

number1kyster said:
Our local Ski-doo dealer told me last week that there WILL be a 800 ETEC next year. He also mentioned a supercharged 1200 4tec.

That will be huge! ;)! I see a doo in my future

I was told they have been testing this sled all last year and it is ready to go... It's all about the economy right now. Same reason why we never got the new Apex. I just hope Yamaha has a big hp 3 cylinder instead of the 4 cylinder.

they both will be that expensive... maybe even more...as the market size declines the prices will contuously rise...function of economics needed to produce a model and stay in business..

They are crazy. My buddy is trying to find a 2009 Renegade 800R X. Used, they are still 9500.00 plus...

SledFreak said:
They are crazy. My buddy is trying to find a 2009 Renegade 800R X. Used, they are still 9500.00 plus...

andy I might have a line on one for him...I'll p.m. you when I know..
it will be priced right

sj said:
Mighty said:
sj said:
also very interesting how the weight "bait" thing is always in the back of peoples minds...yet once they are wet weighed doo vs yam.. its a different story...I think I read there's only a 20lb difference between a shorty nytro filled and a 1200..
heck even the super lightweight tnt gains 100lbs when wet...
Very true but do keep in mind that the Nytro only has like a 3 gallon tank so they will appear closer when wet :moon:

use that butt crack to hold all the money you will be burning at $10.00 per quart in that sdi...plus it can help cushion you from that rougher ride than my shiney new XTX.. :yam:
The sdi sipps oil, not as little as the etec but it sipps it. Previous owner said he went through only 1 gallon in 2,000 miles. I got 2 gallons of Doo's semi synthetic and a case of amsoil interceptor. So I'm set for quite a while.

As an added bonus, he claimed the sdi got better fuel economy than his LTX, his Dad's vector and moms phazer ;)!

As far as ride, I don't beleive for a minute that any Yamaha will ride as well as a Doo.....................

How I see these two snowmobile manufacturers:

Ski-doo has always been about performance.
Yamaha has always been about reliability.

Its harder to make a performance sled reliable but easier to make a reliable sled perform. ;)! Let it snow!

Mighty said:
sj said:
Mighty said:
sj said:
also very interesting how the weight "bait" thing is always in the back of peoples minds...yet once they are wet weighed doo vs yam.. its a different story...I think I read there's only a 20lb difference between a shorty nytro filled and a 1200..
heck even the super lightweight tnt gains 100lbs when wet...
Very true but do keep in mind that the Nytro only has like a 3 gallon tank so they will appear closer when wet :moon:

use that butt crack to hold all the money you will be burning at $10.00 per quart in that sdi...plus it can help cushion you from that rougher ride than my shiney new XTX.. :yam:
The sdi sipps oil, not as little as the etec but it sipps it. Previous owner said he went through only 1 gallon in 2,000 miles. I got 2 gallons of Doo's semi synthetic and a case of amsoil interceptor. So I'm set for quite a while.

As an added bonus, he claimed the sdi got better fuel economy than his LTX, his Dad's vector and moms phazer ;)!

As far as ride, I don't beleive for a minute that any Yamaha will ride as well as a Doo.....................

Hey Dan I've seen you ride. You like a sled with pull. That Doo isn't going to cut it. I remember your 670ho story. I foresee the same problem with this 600!!!

Don't forget I road Donna's sled the last day we where in Muni. As much as i liked the better Cornering the Motor lacked the pull of the Nytro and the Apex felt like a tank. That's why i bought another Nytro!!!

Back