• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

talk me out of buying a skidoo over a Ntyro

another selling point for the four stroke yamaha's is... almost every two stroke out there from the rest of the mfg's requires the use of premium pump fuel.

the yamaha four stroke is still a regular 87 octane kinda powerplant. little more cheaper in the long run to ride.

i have been debating on selling the nytro mtx on and off, and i cant fathom going back to premium fuel and injection oil. just two more headaches i dont want or need. ski

SledFreak said:
Easy Rider said:
I've got a XTX and a 4Tek Doo Renegade X. They are not comparable sleds.

The XTX is a rough, on/off trail, stand up style sled. The 1200 Doo Gade is a much softer ride, more of a sit-down trail crusier.

The Doo is a little quicker on top end, but the Nytro gets there quicker.

The Doo handles better than the Nytro. Period. No matter how much set up you do. The yellow guys have a handle on the handling thing

The Doo sounds like grannys Caddy going to the grocery store. The Nytro sounds like a crotch rocket that is ready to tear someones face off.

If I could only have 1 sled and had to choose between these 2, it would definately be the Nytro. Just more fun to ride! As far as buying a ETek, who in their right mind would even consider owning a series III Doo engine? It's not a question of 'if' it's going to blow up, it's just a matter of 'when?' it's going to blow up! :4STroke:

That's interesting... I did not think the 4tek was that much faster then the XTX, if any at all. I know they are faster then the Nytro 121, but from what I have read the XTX and 4 tek are pretty even. I also heard that once clutched properly that a 1200 will run or beat a clutched and tuned 800R. What will a well setup XTX do to a renegade 800R? :flag:

My Gade tops out at 104/105 and the XTX stock was a 100 maybe 101 on GPS. Guys are saying they are seeing 110 plus out of a stock XTX, I don't know why there could be such a spread, but I know the only way that would happen to mine is being towed in a trailer behind my pickup truck. Now saying all that, I could care less about top end, I'm more into corner to corner performance and off trail capability and for that reason I'll take a Nytro over a 4tek anyday.

Like I said, 2 totally different sleds. :flag:

Hi easy rider,is your gade the 1200 4-stroke doo,or the 800 xp,i had the 08 800 xpx and it would only run 113 gps once on bare ice,and around 107-108 gps on groomed snow,now dont get me wrong,that was still good speed,but all my apex/attaks run 112 snow and 117-118 ice all stock and all gps speed,i have seen the vid of one nytro xtx running 114 gps speed on a lake,and that is the fastest stock nytro i have seen,at any rate that is good apex top speed on snow on a lake,never mind a 144 nytro.

By all accounts, the Doo 1200 was a smashing 1st year sled success and most would now consider the title of "best 4 stroke sled" a coin flip between Yam and Doo.

IMHO the only advantage the Nytro has is price....still lots of 09's available in the low $7gs. Good if you're buying, not good if your selling though.

mnmsnowbeast said:
Hi easy rider,is your gade the 1200 4-stroke doo,or the 800 xp,i had the 08 800 xpx and it would only run 113 gps once on bare ice,and around 107-108 gps on groomed snow,now dont get me wrong,that was still good speed,but all my apex/attaks run 112 snow and 117-118 ice all stock and all gps speed,i have seen the vid of one nytro xtx running 114 gps speed on a lake,and that is the fastest stock nytro i have seen,at any rate that is good apex top speed on snow on a lake,never mind a 144 nytro.

It's a 1200 4tek. Nice sled, I'd just compare it more to the Apex chassis rather than the Nytro. Nytro is a bump/rough trail sled, the 4-stroke Doo is not and I have the X-package Gade and it is not even comparable for the rough stuff.

Easy Rider said:
mnmsnowbeast said:

It's a 1200 4tek. Nice sled, I'd just compare it more to the Apex chassis rather than the Nytro. Nytro is a bump/rough trail sled, the 4-stroke Doo is not and I have the X-package Gade and it is not even comparable for the rough stuff.
Ya my 08 doo was the x pk as well,but felt we got shafted compared to the 04-07 x pk from doo,with the remote bottles,my x pk did not impress me as much as i thought,i even bought a complete set of zbroz shocks from monster performance,and they only impressed me second ride out after we had them set up better,but than they had some glitches that i would not have thought they should of had for two grand,oh well live and learn,i thought i would give the new last year 1200 a couple years on the snow before jumping back on to a doo,i already knew what yammi has with the apex/attak as i have had 4 of them and now that i finally got my 07 apexgt dialed in,man i love riding again! Best of luck Pete

Easy Rider said:
SledFreak said:
Easy Rider said:
I've got a XTX and a 4Tek Doo Renegade X. They are not comparable sleds.

The XTX is a rough, on/off trail, stand up style sled. The 1200 Doo Gade is a much softer ride, more of a sit-down trail crusier.

The Doo is a little quicker on top end, but the Nytro gets there quicker.

The Doo handles better than the Nytro. Period. No matter how much set up you do. The yellow guys have a handle on the handling thing

The Doo sounds like grannys Caddy going to the grocery store. The Nytro sounds like a crotch rocket that is ready to tear someones face off.

If I could only have 1 sled and had to choose between these 2, it would definately be the Nytro. Just more fun to ride! As far as buying a ETek, who in their right mind would even consider owning a series III Doo engine? It's not a question of 'if' it's going to blow up, it's just a matter of 'when?' it's going to blow up! :4STroke:

That's interesting... I did not think the 4tek was that much faster then the XTX, if any at all. I know they are faster then the Nytro 121, but from what I have read the XTX and 4 tek are pretty even. I also heard that once clutched properly that a 1200 will run or beat a clutched and tuned 800R. What will a well setup XTX do to a renegade 800R? :flag:

My Gade tops out at 104/105 and the XTX stock was a 100 maybe 101 on GPS. Guys are saying they are seeing 110 plus out of a stock XTX, I don't know why there could be such a spread, but I know the only way that would happen to mine is being towed in a trailer behind my pickup truck. Now saying all that, I could care less about top end, I'm more into corner to corner performance and off trail capability and for that reason I'll take a Nytro over a 4tek anyday.

I think the 110-114 is on the dreamometer and gps is more like 105-107 obviously condition dependant..

The DOO speedo is also off by 7-8mph, where the Nytro is not so much anymore. It's only off by 4mph.

Easy Rider said:

So, if you were not racing them both at that speed and you are just talking based on speedo speed, then I don't put much faith in that since since the speedos are way less accurate on the DOO, then the Nytro.

my take is 800 doo not bullet proof at all but fun, nytro fun and bullet proof with a little mod 1300 bucks really fun and still bullet proof with good mileage

mnmsnowbeast said:
TurboJamie said:
Fathers 600 Etec ran flawless over 3000 miles last winter, with excellent fuel economy. Tough to beat that little sled, light weight and great mileage, his was also a renegade.

My 800R has a little over 3500 miles and I just sold it never skipped a beat. 90% northern ontario riding high speed and off trail in waste deep powder. Seem like good sleds to me.
Did you have any belt issues with your 800,i just gave up on belt issue after another,plus the motor after 2700 miles sounded like it would come apart very soon,so back to the apex and i am smiling again,and feeling safe while riding along,which i do alot,ya there were alot of good things about the doo,but the bad things were just to overwelming!!

I managed to dodge the belt bullet with a couple small adjustments to my engine mounts, and logged 2200 + miles on the same belt. I ran the 1.75" track with alot of off trail so I am sure I worked my belt extra hard. No troubles no bubbles with our doo's bending or twisting etc.. Both had decent mileage on them when they were sold and replaced with new doo's again. Went to the XRS chassis for added bling and beefier ride just incase we encouter a hidden stump etc playing off trail, that and the new suspension is sweeeet! My 800R was ported with head/airbox/reeds etc and ran perfect had 140 psi of compression when sold and never fouled a spark plug while I owned it. I'm sure all sleds are both good and bad (I owned an 08 nytro w/MPI SC) but the new series III IMO and in our group has been dead reliable the etec two in our group were reliable and the xp chassis in our group are all still straight and tight. The Xp works good enough for me to give up on the extra power and reliability of the sc nytro to have a sled that is 10X more fun IMO to ride.

dirkdiggler said:
Nitrousman1 said:
I've got an 09 XP 800r X package and I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it gets bad gas mileage when you're on it hard. I ride the U.P. and ride faster than most and love to hammer it out of the corners and every long stretch and I can still get 150+ miles on a tank of gas. My 2003.5 REV 800 never blew up and had about 8,000 miles on it when I sold it last year still running strong. I bought a boosted Nytro this summer so I'm anxious to ride it and see how it compares with my XP. After I get some miles on the Nytro I'll decide which one I'm selling. I love how the XP handles and in stock form it has a ton of power and I got 1500 miles on the original belt which is still on the sled. My problem is I'm a Horsepower junkie so I'm really hoping I can get the Nytro to handle close to the XP so I can keep it but we'll see. The Nytro is a 2008 RTX with an MPI supercharger making about 240HP. Praying for early snow.

Two things the Nytro might make 240 "on race gas" but not on Pump.

Second thing I hope the 08 has an upgraded 09 front end. Other wise your going to hate the corning

This sled has 2 years on boost running pump gas with no issues. Different skis make a world of difference on the 08's. I've rode 08's before and actually like the aggressive handling.

SledFreak said:
Nitrousman1 said:
I've got an 09 XP 800r X package and I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it gets bad gas mileage when you're on it hard. I ride the U.P. and ride faster than most and love to hammer it out of the corners and every long stretch and I can still get 150+ miles on a tank of gas. My 2003.5 REV 800 never blew up and had about 8,000 miles on it when I sold it last year still running strong. I bought a boosted Nytro this summer so I'm anxious to ride it and see how it compares with my XP. After I get some miles on the Nytro I'll decide which one I'm selling. I love how the XP handles and in stock form it has a ton of power and I got 1500 miles on the original belt which is still on the sled. My problem is I'm a Horsepower junkie so I'm really hoping I can get the Nytro to handle close to the XP so I can keep it but we'll see. The Nytro is a 2008 RTX with an MPI supercharger making about 240HP. Praying for early snow.

If you get 150miles to a tank on 800R running it WFO and I mean average 75-80+mph for WFO on good long straight streches, then , then I call BS on that because you will just not get it. Also, @240hp on a Nytro and you will need to be running race gas, so it won't blow up. Pump fuel won't cut it.

Come ride with me and see the fuel mileage on the XP I can get. I've never tried to run it out of gas but I've gone in the 120 mile range several times and it will still only take around 8 gallons to top it off. And believe me when i say we ride fast. The Nytro was built by some guys here on TY and it has 2 seasons on pump gas and never blown up so believe whatever you want.

Back