• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

THE REAL STORY BEHIND YAMAHA AND ARCTIC CAT

I wanna know what they are working on!!!! I thought they were building up to something there!

2 Stroke?????????????

Doubt it on the Yamaha 2 stroke. They just spent a bunch of money retooling the 1049 triple. Im thinking just more yamaha engines in Cat sleds cuz they are dropping suzuki.

I heard from a source that has been right before that there is a two stroke coming. A direct injected 2 stroke,my source has been right on the Viper coming out with Arctic Cat he was right with the Nytro he was wrong when he said the turbo is coming out for the apex but that was the year when it came out for the Viper. He has been right most of the time he has been wrong some of the time, take it as you will but there is supposedly a direct injected 2 stroke coming

A 2 stroke yamaha would be pretty sweet, would definitely help yamaha snowmobiles as a complany, but I still dont see it. Arctic cat makes their own 600cc 2 stroke already that seems to work well, so i doubt they would be using a yamaha 2 stroke. Unless arctic cat is having a problem building their own 800cc motor, which is a possibility. Skidoo builds a pretty good 600, but alot of the 800s are turds. Same with polaris, 600cc seems to be ok but they built a lot of crappy 800cc motors.

Yamaha has the technology with the 2 stroke outboards, but will they develop a whole new sled engine just to sell a few thousand units a year? Worldwide sled sales are only 150,000 units. Yamaha market share is what, 10% of that. Even at 20%, its only 30000 sleds, and how many of those sold will be a 2 stroke?

Will have to wait an see.. Hope its not role reversal, Green Junk Motor in Yamaha sled

A 2 stroke yamaha would be pretty sweet, would definitely help yamaha snowmobiles as a complany, but I still dont see it. Arctic cat makes their own 600cc 2 stroke already that seems to work well, so i doubt they would be using a yamaha 2 stroke. Unless arctic cat is having a problem building their own 800cc motor, which is a possibility. Skidoo builds a pretty good 600, but alot of the 800s are turds. Same with polaris, 600cc seems to be ok but they built a lot of crappy 800cc motors.

Yamaha has the technology with the 2 stroke outboards, but will they develop a whole new sled engine just to sell a few thousand units a year? Worldwide sled sales are only 150,000 units. Yamaha market share is what, 10% of that. Even at 20%, its only 30000 sleds, and how many of those sold will be a 2 stroke?
This was shared awhile ago on the 2017 rumors post. Yamahas share is down to 5% (7500sleds) Chris Reid posted somethings but it's little cryptic. Basically stating that costs to make 2stroke are few million, not enough market share to sell enough products. Not enough cross over etc etc. so basically said no 2stroke but not full on. He also left evidence that made it plausible.

This was shared awhile ago on the 2017 rumors post. Yamahas share is down to 5% (7500sleds) Chris Reid posted somethings but it's little cryptic. Basically stating that costs to make 2stroke are few million, not enough market share to sell enough products. Not enough cross over etc etc. so basically said no 2stroke but not full on. He also left evidence that made it plausible.

Wow, thats not very many sleds at all. So ya unless Arctic Cat is going to use a Yamaha 2stroke as well, there isnt a 2 stroke coming. Which is ok for me, im addicted to the boosted 4 stroke now, lol.

the 2 stroke will be made by >Arctic cat, i think only the 4 strokes are shared...

with cat loosing the 1100 turbo, i dont think cat will wanna loose the muscle sled position, i think i can see a factory turbo engine in the pro cross chassis

with cat loosing the 1100 turbo, i dont think cat will wanna loose the muscle sled position, i think i can see a factory turbo engine in the pro cross chassis

Well if yamaha doesn’t come out with a newer muscle/Apex replacement/ Factory Turbo, but makes the new Cat muscle/turbo, then trying a Cat seems very likely. Yamaha doing that and not offering similar though, would be a slap in the yamaha faithful's (myself included) faces. So, not worried about loyalty.

Last edited:
I know cat has been working on an 800 ctec for awhile now. I've read numerous rumors online saying that as of last season, they were unsuccessful in getting one to stay together.

Maybe Yamaha got involved in the design and it will be a shared motor?

The 600 ctec is a great motor. Very strong and very reliable.

The video said that 4stroke they are on same team but 2 stroke they are still competitors. So no Yamaha won't be helping their program and there won't be a 2stroke cat motor with Yamaha sticker either

Back