• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Arctic Cat 4 Stroke Future

I would think that Cat has its own 4 stroke in development. My guess is that Textron will have its own engines. The St Cloud engine plant is modern and capable.
That's not easy and economically reasonable task to do competitive 150 - 200hp 4-stroke engine for only snowmobile.

Not impossible but I will be very surprised if Cat/Textron bring to market something like BRP 900R turbo or Yamaha 998...or even some similar than old 1056 Suzuki

That's not easy and economically reasonable task to do competitive big HP 4-stroke for only snowmobile.

Not impossible but I will be very surprised if Cat/Textron bring to market something like brp 900R turbo or 998...
Maybe they make something similar to the 1100 Suzuki twin and use it elsewhere. That engine was an anvil of reliable power and I believe was assembled by cat. I still have my 2014 9000 with a 240 HP tune. That motor is a beast and gets 14/15 MPG. I think a twin would probably fit better in the new chassis. We will see what cat does.

That's not easy and economically reasonable task to do competitive 150 - 200hp 4-stroke engine for only snowmobile.
They won't

Based on the catalyst it's going to be a twin and will likely be there universal motor to in sxs and atvs.

And that means a 900 ish sized twin. The engine cc's plus turbo must be less than 1000cc's for it to be considered a sxs per the rov in most state legislatures. And if you want the most power you go with the most cylinders. It's one reason why brp uses the 900 in a lot of things.

Economies of scale and such
Unless cat builds a triple and then that makes no sense as to why they gave Yamaha the middle finger because cats triple will perform like the doo triple.

Last edited:
They won't

Based on the catalyst it's going to be a twin and will likely be there universal motor to in sxs and atvs.

And that means a 900 ish sized twin. The engine cc's plus turbo must be less than 1000cc's for it to be considered a sxs per the rov in most state legislatures. And if you want the most power you go with the most cylinders. It's one reason why brp uses the 900 in a lot of things.

Economies of scale and such
Unless cat builds a triple and then that makes no sense as to why they gave Yamaha the middle finger because cats triple will perform like the doo triple.

Ok, they gonna lose marketshare with 4-stroke if they don't offer something like BRP 900r turbo or 998 SW engine..

They already give up some reason with Suzuki turbo twin, if they come back with something similar it's not will be very interesting if not lightweight and at least 200hp...

With Textron owning Weber there are probably several choices available for Cat to use and fit into the Catalyst chassis. Cat can always make the bulkhead a little wider to accommodate different engines like Ski Doo does and use the same tunnel/suspension system for all. The real question will be if the golden age of 200HP sleds from the factory is over (for now). When Cat ditched the triple Tcat after 2002, I rode my old Tcat for a long time. Looks like my 2022 EPS Tcat will be with me for a long time.

Well can am just dropped a 240hp 999 in their new massive proportions sxs.

Wonder if it will fit into a g5.

Well can am just dropped a 240hp 999 in their new massive proportions sxs.

Wonder if it will fit into a g5.
It's not a belt-drive motor... but maybe could still work. It has a 7-speed sequential transmission.

It's not a belt-drive motor... but maybe could still work. It has a 7-speed sequential transmission.
Yxz has flippy paddles and that motor is essentially the same as our beloved 998.

Does that article claim the 998 is in the Catalyst chassis for 2025?
Am I reading that correctly?
Cant be accurate.
That site doesn't even look real????

Last edited:
Does that article clam the 998 is in the Catalyst chassis for 2025?
Cant be accurate.
The cutaway pic even shows the 2-stroke motor in it.

Does that article clam the 998 is in the Catalyst chassis for 2025?
Cant be accurate.
DId you see their photo of the 2025 renegade? Fake news!

1692724194011.png

2025 Sidewinder LTX on the site.. yeah.. right.. Nothing says AI generated like a completely non-functional track, spare bits of metal in the springs, and a completely un-realistc front suspension.

1692724541738.png

The 850 is a pooch. My 850 Rave RE gets walked by my daughter on her 2016 Viper. Buddy has an XRS 850 and it’s aloooow also.
The only way that viper walks an 850 is if it has a turbo and a host of other goodies! Stock Viper is not in the same zip code as a 850

Back