• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Them Ski Doo boyz

nytrose said:
When these belts grenade is there any concern about damaged crank seals like on a 2 stroke?

Can't answer that question but last year I smoked a belt on my Apex when I was exiting a corner, needless to say I was ON the flipper, by on I mean to the bar, which I normally don't do. Long story short, bang, then a zing, which sounded like the motor hit about 14,000, I have no idea as I wasn't looking at the revs. but I can tell you it had to be close. The good news is that since these motors are rooted from bike motors they can likely take the occasional over rev, since on the bike it wouldn't even be redlined yet. I know the 1050 didn't come directly from a bike but the design is common, thus my theory. I did learn that you will feel a clunk on your foot shortly before the belt goes. This clunk is actually the top layer of the belt coming off. If you fell that pull over a change it out, your about five to ten hits of the flipper before the big bang. I've caught this about two or three times and it can keep you from making a mess under the hood. Typically I would get between 1700 and 2400 miles on a belt with my Apex. Soooo much depends on conditions and riding style, at least with stock clutching.

2008 Nytro RTX said:
Atleast you showed that 4 TEC that the new kid on the block isnt poop! :yam: :4STroke: :Rockon:

I own both and the performance between them is very close. The Nytro has a great engine and with a little tweeking can be a lot of fun to ride. The 1200 also has a great engine and the ride and handling is impressive. They are both awesome sleds and I can't wait till the 1200 has some miles on it so I can do some head to head comparo's. :-o Ski Doo did a great job with the 1200 and it has the typical good ride and handling that Doo is noted for. Now if they can come close to Yamahas reliability...LOOK OUT!!!!

LJ 452 said:
nytrose said:
When these belts grenade is there any concern about damaged crank seals like on a 2 stroke?

Can't answer that question but last year I smoked a belt on my Apex when I was exiting a corner, needless to say I was ON the flipper, by on I mean to the bar, which I normally don't do. Long story short, bang, then a zing, which sounded like the motor hit about 14,000, I have no idea as I wasn't looking at the revs. but I can tell you it had to be close. The good news is that since these motors are rooted from bike motors they can likely take the occasional over rev, since on the bike it wouldn't even be redlined yet. I know the 1050 didn't come directly from a bike but the design is common, thus my theory. I did learn that you will feel a clunk on your foot shortly before the belt goes. This clunk is actually the top layer of the belt coming off. If you fell that pull over a change it out, your about five to ten hits of the flipper before the big bang. I've caught this about two or three times and it can keep you from making a mess under the hood. Typically I would get between 1700 and 2400 miles on a belt with my Apex. Soooo much depends on conditions and riding style, at least with stock clutching.

Blowing a belt can be quite exciting. when I rode ski-doo the most I ever got out of a belt was 800 miles. I blew a belt on my 05 mach z going about 90 mph, cruising about 85 then I pinned it and the belt let go. I thought I broke my left toe, it bent the hell out of the foot well. the belts for that peice of junk were $140. I have only blown one belt since riding yamaha

Turk - need to ask you this question......Please respond.

Did some clutching on my Nytro and love the mph and performance. Have not blown any belts to date, 1,200 miles, same original belt.

What I do notice is a high speed flutter at top mph that seems like the engine is getting pulled down. Since clutching, I have noticed a lot less of this and more mph.

Do you think there is binding between the clutches that if you are at full rpm, the secondary quits movement but the primary tries to keep coming together? Yes, clutch alignment is critical, but you can only put so much pressure on a rubber band before it breaks......

How many of these belts blew at full throttle?

This might be cured with an aftermarket helix or the stock helix clearance machined.

O.K. 2 questions.

I have a fuel controller/dual angle helix so I never noticed this on my 08. i did notice it feeling like it was being pulled down when sliders got hot....& that was a lot. 1 good hi speed run on mediocre snow & new set of sliders went right to the wear line...instantly!!!!

Definitley not hyfax for me. I have the hyfax savers on the front bend and wheels between the rails before the back wheels and original hyfax that will need replacing before this weekend.

Back