• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

belt adjuster

Page 127 of manual says 1.5mm above to .5mm below Secondary
Remember what the manual said what the offset window was in 2017? Many on here do and it was WAY off. I like to run it even with the top of the sheaves.

Most of you guys here on this forum know way more than the so-called factory engineers about what it takes to make/keep the Procross 998s running.
If I was the engineering boss up there in Roseau, I'd REQUIRE some engineer to monitor, absorb, and take action on the info here on TY. Years ago, it would have been a way better product.

Most of you guys here on this forum know way more than the so-called factory engineers about what it takes to make/keep the Procross 998s running.
If I was the engineering boss up there in Roseau, I'd REQUIRE some engineer to monitor, absorb, and take action on the info here on TY. Years ago, it would have been a way better product.
Okay I’ll do it! :rofl:

Where the belt sits in the secondary is really irrelevant. Its going to change based on belt width, length and different centers. Dont even know why the factory would use it as a recommendation point for belt deflection.

Deflection is what dictates where the belt will sit at idle in the secondary. To tight and the track will rotate, too loose used to create a bog in the lower powered machines. I like deflection fairly tight to the point where it will turn the track, if its above the secondary so be it, if its below the secondary so be it. It doesn't make a bit of difference where it sits in the secondary. Some people use this as gospel, and it make not a bit of difference unless belts are all exactly the same width and length, which is never going to happen.

Where the belt sits in the secondary is really irrelevant. Its going to change based on belt width, length and different centers. Dont even know why the factory would use it as a recommendation point for belt deflection.

Deflection is what dictates where the belt will sit at idle in the secondary. To tight and the track will rotate, too loose used to create a bog in the lower powered machines. I like deflection fairly tight to the point where it will turn the track, if its above the secondary so be it, if its below the secondary so be it. It doesn't make a bit of difference where it sits in the secondary. Some people use this as gospel, and it make not a bit of difference unless belts are all exactly the same width and length, which is never going to happen.
I worked at a Yamaha dealer for seven years and came to the realization that 99% of owners had no clue about this and/or didn't care.
So when I did maintenance, I made sure that the machine was set so I wouldn't get a phone call claiming that the belt was squealing, machine creeping or won't shift into reverse.

Been using the same style secondary adjuster since 2017. OSP (rest in peace) is who made the first adjuster. I got the second one from TD and it does float the secondary. I have had good luck with this one, but I can understand guys not running float and Mike has pointed this out. I have not had major issues with belts since 2017 and the offset issues that were cleaned up and corrected. While using this adjuster with the XS 825 I usually end up JUST slightly over the sheaves(1 mm), or even with them. I run my track pretty tight and it will not turn on the stand even cranking up the belt real high in the secondary. Belt would squeal and make a bunch of noise before the track will turn when running the track tension I do. I like to adjust the secondary adjuster till the rollers contact the secondary helix which typically is right at even or just above the sheaves. Definitely slight variables in belts and wear will cause some variance also. Since 2017 this has been about where things settled and have worked in my experience with the adjuster below WITH THE xs825.
Once the clutch grabs the belt and your rolling none of this matters to much, but I do not want the rollers hanging in space off the helix especially if your hammering from a stop. I believe most of these adjusters offered are all floating the secondary some.

1707916120765.png

Last edited:

This times infinity. Spot on. Too many variables to set it by height above/below secondary. Set it so it's best for conditions today. It will change where it sits over time. Nice thing about the adjuster is that you have the ability to adjust it to how you like it. If in doubt, I would suggest just so tight that the track creeps at idle with track lifted off the ground.

Because I fully float my secondary I internally shim my secondary for belt deflection which can be a bit of a pain when installing a new belt or adjusting for a worn one as it must be disassembled for adjustment. I too adjust belt deflection so track just creeps at idle. With an 8DN belt the belt top sits an 1/8" or so above the secondary sheaves and with an 8JP length belt like the Red line or XS825 they are usually close to flush but as stated that position is not relative as its only a result of the belt tension setting.
I have a BOP belt adjuster on my sled but I only use it for removing and installing belts and it sits fully outboard in no contact with the secondary clutch when not being used.
Works for me.

Back