• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about something I heard today

Yamaha will build another 4-hole sled. They always take their time and come up with something rock solid/ but they aren't as fast to bring new ideas to the game like the others. But 12,500 rpms ripping up the trail. Sign me up :Rockon: :drink:

bottlerocket said:
If they offered 180 hp you guys would want 200, it's never is enough

Yeah, seems to never end....LOL

06duke - especially 12,500 rpm's....the new R1 sound......OMG! I think I made a mess in my shorts!!!

That would also get rid of the "drone" affect from the 4 cylinder at 7,000 rpms

For the guys buying the Viper that want big HP why not just go all the way to the dark side with the CAT 1100 Turbo? BIG HP #'s for a few hundred bucks. Way way way way way more logical
than buying a system that's still just an afterthought.

It's the undependable clutches, drive components and fires that chase them away. Fix that then you have a cheaply made rocket lol

Rockstar - I have a Viper and my friend has the Cat turbo. His clutching is changed and it's still not what I would expect a turbo sled to run....my Viper holds right with it and the turbo cats were beat by my Viper and my Nytro at the radar runs this year. The sled pulls decent in mid range, but falls off fast on top end.

Rockstar said:
For the guys buying the Viper that want big HP why not just go all the way to the dark side with the CAT 1100 Turbo? BIG HP #'s for a few hundred bucks. Way way way way way more logical
than buying a system that's still just an afterthought.

Blown belts, 200 miles a belt, melted hoods, fires, bad reverse, weak chain case for that much power and it is barely faster then me on my Apex XTX and I'm like trying to push a garage door through a tornado when sitting on my sled.

Logic says the turbo cat is not the logical choice.

Face it, the Nytro and Apex motors are old. Love them but its time for a diet and a few more HP. There are lots of places to lighten these sleds up. Starter/one way clutch is heavy heavy - sync belt over cam chain - lighter counterbalance arrangement - elimination of ball bearing and spline on end of crank (cat doesn't use this on 1100T) etc, etc. I'd be willing to bet you could shed 10 lbs off the existing motors without sacrificing reliability.

I suspect sled engines will evolve with two possible paths: higher revving 1000 cc or so sport bike engines with gear reduction for the CVT clutch limit of 9000rpm or smaller 3 cylinder turbos limited to 9000.

Check out what Nissan did in the URL below.

Did Nissan Just Make the Ultimate Motorcycle Engine?

Keep in mind this is a 1500cc engine producing 400HP @ 7500RPM! Impressive and obviously the car guys are thinking along similar lines!

OTM

NOS-PRO said:
Sasquatch said:
NOS-PRO said:
I would have loved to see the Apex engine in the Viper chassis, either that or boost on the Apex.

Yamaha does need to come out with a new look.... something with the Apex engine and 180 stock hpr.

My Apex XTX hits 110mph on a trail with me on it. It pulls like there is no tommorow and while I agree with more hp because I'm a hp junkie I sometime question whether or not its needed.

I don't like the Viper chassis per say, I don't hate it either but its not what I want for my riding! So I'm thinking a Apex powered replacement from Yami would be my best hope even with 160hp!

I hear ya Charlie, but a lot of people are looking for that extra hpr. The Viper is a sled that is different from the Apex and a lot of people like/love their Apex....a lot of people like their vectors with the ride style. I loved my Attak, but the Viper fits me better....plus I have the Viper doing a true 105-106mph on GPS now so the 3 hole engine has better pull on bottom where the 4 has it on top.

Not sure about better pull on the bottom but I do know the Nytro XTX will stick with me till about 80 or 85mph, then the Apex starts to pull away and my sled has a disadvantage with me on its back. The Vector will stay till about 75mph. So in reality for the trail as always the lesser hp sled gives up little. Its when you hit powerlines and lakes that you wish you had more. I have a 600 ZL with 105hp. It will top out at about 90mph with me on it but on the trail it is all you really need as long as the trail stays twisty.

So while 4 or 5mph does not sound much faster then your Viper it would be more like 10mph if I rode your Viper. I have that effect on sleds. Its always why I want the hyper sled. I need the extra power to keep ahead of the smaller sleds. Hence my surprise when I only give up 2mph to turbo cat with a much smaller rider, shorter track and 20 more ponies!

There are plenty of turbo cats that are problem free guys. One post of a fire and suddenly 35% catch fire. Easy to boost and big power eats driveline parts. Maybe this is the reason Yamaha would not give you 180 hp as chains,belts and clutching will be compromised. For the record 2012 cats had issues but I believe the newer models and updates have fixed first year issues. You can buy a stock turbo and with little money make huge power on pump fuel which way cheaper and safer then boosting the viper. I like the idea of a cat turbo with Yamy plastic!

180hp cat 1100T can make 240Hp with a reflash and a muffler. 280hp from reflash, muffler, and a large turbo exhaust pipe. All on pump gas. Now you see why there are problems, too easy to gain 60 to 100hp, with guys that don't understand the added stress and heat this places on the sled and drive line.

Back