• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about something I heard today

sheetwright said:
It's the undependable clutches, drive components and fires that chase them away. Fix that then you have a cheaply made rocket lol
I have to agree,if cat could put out a reliable sled,they would sell lots,but they wont,they feed off the broke parts,ask me i know,i have a fire starter,a bad motor sled and a belt blower,well i should say my dealer now does,i have a 2015 xtx on its way,thank God for apex's,as i am back on board of a semi fast reliable ride for next year!

bottlerocket said:
There are plenty of turbo cats that are problem free guys. One post of a fire and suddenly 35% catch fire. Easy to boost and big power eats driveline parts. Maybe this is the reason Yamaha would not give you 180 hp as chains,belts and clutching will be compromised. For the record 2012 cats had issues but I believe the newer models and updates have fixed first year issues. You can buy a stock turbo and with little money make huge power on pump fuel which way cheaper and safer then boosting the viper. I like the idea of a cat turbo with Yamy plastic!
Nope,i waited till 2013 to get away from cats dreaded reverse problem,all the 13's brought to the table was a better reverse and i still blew my gear case to pieces at 2500 miles first year,and alot more belt issues with 13 than 12 model,ask rockerdan,he and i chased belt and power issues till he gave up and also some others,reason i am back on a yamaha is reliability and my dealer has both sleds and was the only one who would give me a trade toward a yamaha,no one out there wants a cat turbo on trade,even the cat guys,if you have not had one,than dont base all your facts on internet hype,i dont!

New chassis with the Crossplane RI engine bumped up to 1100cc with a gear reduction from the company in this link...problem solved!
Close to 200hp and clutch RPM under 8500RPM

http://www.powerbygns.com/Products.html

But...unfortunately...IMO...the 4 cylinder Apex engine will go the way of the VMAX4...only to be replaced by a tripple.

You guys that want the current R1 crossplane engine do realize that it weighs just a little bit less than a train don't you? The bikes gained a massive amount of weight when they went to the crossplane. Find a picture and look at the huge crankshaft counter weights and balance shaft.....and its still at the bottom of the horsepower totem pole.

There are plenty of turbo cats that are problem free guys. One post of a fire and suddenly 35% catch fire. Easy to boost and big power eats driveline parts. Maybe this is the reason Yamaha would not give you 180 hp as chains,belts and clutching will be compromised. For the record 2012 cats had issues but I believe the newer models and updates have fixed first year issues. You can buy a stock turbo and with little money make huge power on pump fuel which way cheaper and safer then boosting the viper. I like the idea of a cat turbo with Yamy plastic!

You always hear about the bad one on the net but truth is a turbo under the hood increases heat. I have never heard of fires, melted hoods or blown belts on the Yami's unless they where boosted by a turbo. As for the Turbo Cats guys that are trouble free of course there are plenty. Heck right here there is a guy with a turbo Cat that is trouble free, he babys the sled and won't ride is when temps get near freezing but hey trouble free!

With the difference of 10to 15 hp between the Cat and the Apex I question as to whether that would make any difference in failed drivelines. In the 10 plus years the posts about failed drivelines have been very few on the Yami site and most of them have been because of poor maintainance or service. cat only wishes thier record was half as good as the Yami one. Then there are those who run way more boost then 180hp and no complaints about the Yami driveline. I have no fear of the Yami drivetrain holding together. But I can see wanting to boost the Cat higher because the Apex is as fast with less hp!

The only thing I agree on is the Cat turbo is easy to bump up the HP on! But I still don't want one!

But...unfortunately...IMO...the 4 cylinder Apex engine will go the way of the VMAX4...only to be replaced by a tripple.

But Bob the the Vmax 4 replaced the twin, to be replaced by the tripple, to be replaced by the 4 cylinder, so if this is a circle then we will all be riding 4's right after the three once again. I can wait for the 4 to come back if you are right.

Back