• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

thinking of addind a turbo (need a book turbo for dummies)

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
Hey guys/girls I've been reading for awhile on this site about you guys with turbo vipers and it's sound like it would be a blast!!!

I going to be straight up with you guys I can maintain/fix all my own machines(cars, trucks, sleds) but I was wondering if you need a very advances skill level to repair\maintain these sleds?

I've never owned anything with a turbo are they fairly easy to maintain

What are the main points to keep the turbo sled running flawlessly?
What other mods is required besides clutching, exhaust, and programmer

If I decide to go for it I plan on going with Hurricane's trail set up

I had the same concerns as you, but I went with the Hurricane Turbo and had them install it. This thing runs perfect, has great power, great on fuel 16-18 mph and it is not real loud. I already has my clutches machined and a clutch kit from Ulmers so I sent a e-mail to Allen and he told me how to clutch it. All good, so don't be afraid, turn the key, use 91 octane and drive it anywhere.

I had the same concerns as you, but I went with the Hurricane Turbo and had them install it. This thing runs perfect, has great power, great on fuel 16-18 mph and it is not real loud. I already has my clutches machined and a clutch kit from Ulmers so I sent a e-mail to Allen and he told me how to clutch it. All good, so don't be afraid, turn the key, use 91 octane and drive it anywhere.
thanks for your reply it's greatly appreciated!!;)!;)!;)! I would like to do the install myself so I can learn what does what and how exactly it works! What maintenance do you do to keep things running as the way it should??

I also have the hurricane trail turbo and Dave's customer service is awesome you can always call him and he will help you out. i went with his kit because it is safe to run 87, it uses the power commander 5 not the gems(the gems just has to many people that don't like it). and now if you don't want a loud exhaust he has made a quiet can that is the same sound level as stock.

Last edited:
Same maintenance as without turbo, change the oil, grease it, and drive on.

I have a Hurricane 190 kit that has performed flawless for a full season the bigger injectors relieve the need for the bigger fuel pump if you want to turn it up. I also have gauges but that is my preference the system is turn key and never gave me any starting problems even at -20 deg Dave has ben wonderful with his customer service and all ways spent time with my questions. Install time is 3 hours....... enough said.

Would have done mine in three if someone posted a tip about the fight with the intake tubes. After a beer or two I learned that if you undo the steering post bolts it turns it into a easy install for the air box. Everything else is in his instructions . And there are two install threads on here with pretty much every other tip.

Here is another Hurricane 190 review for anyone interested. I did the install about 3 weeks ago, taking my time over two evenings spent about 6 hours total to complete. Clearly could do another in 3 hours but was in no rush to do mine. The most difficult part of the installation by far was wrestling the intercooler onto the three intake boots as they are a tight fit and need to be. I did need clarification on a few steps along the way but Dave was right there to answer my questions.

The turbo is a Garrett ball bearing unit with internal waste gate pre-set @ 6psi. The turbo, Hindle can, intake air Unifilter, oil supply and return lines and mounting bracket arrived as a sub-assembly ready to be bolted on at the exhaust flange and the stock can mounting location. Three O/S injectors are installed, three impulse lines, one to each throttle body are tied together and go to a multi tee fitting which then have lines going to the blowoff valve, PCV / Bosch pressure sensor and a boost gauge if desired. The intake air temp sensor from the stock airbox relocates to the new intake plenum or intercooler. I wire tied my PCV to a loop in the sleds wiring harness rather than something solid in hopes that the soft mounting location would serve as vibration isolation for the unit. PCV plugs right into the main wiring harness right by the steering post. PCV is mapped at Hurricane and tuned to run on 87 octane. Oil supply line goes to a supplied fitting next to #3 throttle body and the return to a supplied fitting in the stator cover. The stock O2 sensor is installed in the new exhaust head pipe and comes with a second bung welded in with plug for use with a wide band O2 sensor if desired. All in all a very well thought out kit with outstanding fit and finish.

Having ridden the sled for the first time this past Friday and just having a tic under 200 miles on it I can't give a full report on performance. What I can say is that the sled starts and idles perfectly! No hunting at idle, no hesitation under full W/O throttle from a dead stop, not a single hiccup at any point during acceleration or throttle position. Couldn't be happier with the way it runs. I'm running the Hurricane clutch kit with the primary machined for O/D and stock gearing. The sled pulls very hard and is an absolute blast to ride! Still braking in the engine and have not felt the need to try and do a top end run but did try a few quick pulls on a plowed section of lake. With a shift speed of 8600-8700 I was getting to 100mph very quickly and did hold it one time to 115mph and the speedo was still clicking off mph at a real good clip. I have no doubt I'll be pushing 125 with the stock gearing. These were indicated numbers not GPS. I'm not sure how accurate the factory speedo is? Still need to top off the tank to calculate my MPG but I got close 140 mi. on the trip odometer before I got my low fuel warning light so I'm thinking it's doing real well on fuel.

Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase and can't wait to get out and ride this thing some more!

NOTE: Intercooler is not included or needed with the standard 190hp kit. I decided to upgrade my kit in anticipation of going to 10psi of boost for next season.

Check this thread lots of info

thank guys for your great feedback!!! This is why I love this forum you are all a great group of guys that are always willing to give honest opinions and helpful advice!!! :rocks:.

From what I'm gathering the 190 hurricane trail turbo is a pretty reliable set up!
I see some of you say you can run 87 octane. Is that only in a jam where 91 isn't available(lodge) or do you guy run 87 threw out the season!
Is there any seasonal maintenance needed to the turbo itself !
I'm going to try to keep this a secret from wifey than give her zr 7000 a good spanking next season. Last season she was kicking my butt with that dam cat!!lol

The bigger injectors and pc5 are two big selling points in my opinion of the hurricane kit. I went with a stage 1 mpi kit on mine last summer (dealer had it in stock and got good pricing on it). The kit itself is nice, the gems controller works but I don't think it's anywhere near the tuning potential of the pc5, also with mine I couldn't hardly go past 5 pounds of boost or else it would start to run short on fuel on longer pulls. A lot of guys I've talked with didn't have any problems at 5.5-6 pounds but on mine the stock fueling couldn't keep up, and really what good is spending all that money only to be held back by stock fueling..since then I did the fuel pump upgrade and that helped a lot, but with the bigger injectors already included in the package you're all set right from the start and don't need to worry about spending extra money on parts. Aside from that I haven't had any real turbo related issues other than some tuning.

The bigger injectors and pc5 are two big selling points in my opinion of the hurricane kit. I went with a stage 1 mpi kit on mine last summer (dealer had it in stock and got good pricing on it). The kit itself is nice, the gems controller works but I don't think it's anywhere near the tuning potential of the pc5, also with mine I couldn't hardly go past 5 pounds of boost or else it would start to run short on fuel on longer pulls. A lot of guys I've talked with didn't have any problems at 5.5-6 pounds but on mine the stock fueling couldn't keep up, and really what good is spending all that money only to be held back by stock fueling..since then I did the fuel pump upgrade and that helped a lot, but with the bigger injectors already included in the package you're all set right from the start and don't need to worry about spending extra money on parts. Aside from that I haven't had any real turbo related issues other than some tuning.
Thanks for your reply!! Great info;)!;)!;)!

i have the hurricane 190. no issues just gas and go. i have gauges too. added an intercooler for a little more hp and more consistent hp throughout changing temps. love the kit.

We have two MPI Trail turbo setups on each of the XTX's . We mostly ride off trail so we have them setup with outside air intake this keeps the the air temp nice and low breathing in cold air all the time. Sure there are more kits that make more HP but you have to look at what do you really need? The fun factor with adding turbos on our sleds is off the charts now and I don't regret installing them at all been turn key gas and go. We installed them about 1/2 through the season on a weekend that had poor snow conditions and had a lot of fun doing it if you like to tinker on your toys you would also. The MPI kits are pretty easy to install but there is a lot of steps and it does take time to complete. They take longer to install becasue more things are moved under the hood and for a very good reason, Call MPI and they can fill you in on why Yamaha & MPI engineers decided to move stuff around under the hood. The Yamaha endorsement and my 5 year warranty were very important factors when deciding what we wanted to buy, the install time was not a factor in my buying decision at all. Other then the Turbo, you will need to do something with the clutch to handle the extra HP but there is lots of options for that.

Im putting a hurricane 240hp kit on my xtx now and its a pretty slick setup very well thought out and Dave is easy to get a hold of if you have any 2nd guesses

Back