• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle position sensor

I am having sputtering, missing issues with my 2016 phazer at anything less than half throttle (under 8000 rpm) above that it works perfect. I went into diagnostic mode and while check throttle position sensor readings on cluster I noticed the readings are pretty erratic going up to mid throttle, above that the reading climb steadily as I continue to slowly squeeze throttle. Is this confirmation the TPS sensor is bad? Thanks

Got it fixed up. Went into diagnostic mode, TPS sensor reading were erratic up to mid throttle, beyond climbed steadily. 426.00 for new sensor and a week away so I took old one off, sprayed rust check into it, worked it a bit with screw driver re-installed, reading were all good. Test drive works perfect. Push button reverse consistantly works now too, before had to kill engine sometimes to put back in forward. Must have been moisture in sensor or something.

Got it fixed up. Went into diagnostic mode, TPS sensor reading were erratic up to mid throttle, beyond climbed steadily. 426.00 for new sensor and a week away so I took old one off, sprayed rust check into it, worked it a bit with screw driver re-installed, reading were all good. Test drive works perfect. Push button reverse consistantly works now too, before had to kill engine sometimes to put back in forward. Must have been moisture in sensor or something.
I know this is an old thread but I've been fighting intermittent TPS issues wit my '15 Phazer the last couple seasons. Runs fine until I ride on a really cold night. TPS acts up the next day. Seems to be moisture related. I have the same results as you in diagnostics mode. On the snow it rides fine as long as I hammer the throttle and don't spend any time in mid-range RPM land.

Where exactly is the TPS located (haven't even looked yet) and were you able to get lubrication inside without drilling the casing, etc? Thanks.

I know this is an old thread but I've been fighting intermittent TPS issues wit my '15 Phazer the last couple seasons. Runs fine until I ride on a really cold night. TPS acts up the next day. Seems to be moisture related. I have the same results as you in diagnostics mode. On the snow it rides fine as long as I hammer the throttle and don't spend any time in mid-range RPM land.

Where exactly is the TPS located (haven't even looked yet) and were you able to get lubrication inside without drilling the casing, etc? Thanks.

I just ended up installing a new one on mine, $187 from Partzilla at the time.

Attachments

• 20210218_085523.jpg
    20210218_085523.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210218_090703.jpg
    20210218_090703.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 42
I just ended up installing a new one on mine, $187 from Partzilla at the time.
Thanks for the response. I've got plenty of time due to lack of snow so I'll get in there soon. I appreciate your input.

Thanks for the response. I've got plenty of time due to lack of snow so I'll get in there soon. I appreciate your input.
Finally had time to get into the Phazer. Discovered the previous owner had rounded out the lower aiir box Allen head. Super fun extracting that. Took care of it and removed the air box

How do you remove thenTPS?

Looks like a torx head but I can’t get anything to seat in there to get a grip. It appears there is a metal post or some other obstruction. Head is smooth so no socket option.

Looks like more shenanigans with the bolts holding the TPS in place. OEM is a Phillips pan head screw. These are not stock.

A TPS on Partzilla goes for $300 now.
My Vector needs a starter as well.

I’m getting kicked in the stones this winter!!

The TPS uses tamper proof torx screws. Torx bits are available on Amazon if needed.

It might be possible to take a spray can of electrical contact cleaner, spray some in a small container, then soak the TPS for awhile. Spin it back and forth a bunch after soaking and maybe it'll clear up. I've had some success doing that on automotive TPS's more recently.

Is the tamper proof part the metal post I’m seeing? I have a torx set that would work 2.5 hrs away at home which doesn’t help today.

I’m hoping a solvent or cleaner of some sort will do the trick. My TPS troubles are inconsistent. Pops up after really cold nights when I rode the day before. Seems to be condensation/moisture related.

Well #*$&@!!

I was able to remove the TPS this morning but ended up with a wire pulled out of the harness.
What are my options here?

Me working on my own sleds hasn’t been working out too well lately. I seem to cause a new problem everytime…pretty deflating. Poor me….ha ha ha.

Well #*$&@!!

I was able to remove the TPS this morning but ended up with a wire pulled out of the harness.
What are my options here?

Me working on my own sleds hasn’t been working out too well lately. I seem to cause a new problem everytime…pretty deflating. Poor me….ha ha ha.
I think I did the same thing with the wire pulled out. I stripped a bit of extra and stuck in with the plug and taped the bit do exposed wire. Ran like that for years till I sold it/ probably still like that. I remember there being just enough wire to make it work

Good luck

Back