• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thundercat clutch

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
My friend has owned 2 recent thundercats
2017 3 primary clutches under warranty
2020 2nd primary just put on and not warranty

Is there a clutch he can switch to that will actually last?
the 2020 has a 240 tune

Tapp is very expensive
Not sure he wants another cat clutch...lol

Stms work also
Have one here that’s a take off
3 arm 8.5 inch
Pm if interested
The adapt is nicer with less weight slinging around in it than the team
It’s unfortunate because the clutches work well but like to fail

That’s accurate
Although stm and tapp are pretty close and for trail I’d go tapp

CVTech PB80? The 1970’s called, they’d like their clutching technology back. Lol

I haven't seen one grenade yet like all the 2017 team clutches were.
A friend of mine put one on his 17 t cat with max spool 16.
He says it works great, and it's quiet.
Good price also.

One cure for cracking Team clutch's that I have seen is taking the clutch apart and radiusing the lower part of the sheaves. They seem to be cast to a point which is a potential hot spot.
Also, poor clutching will create heat and crack those clutches. I have seen many on tuned sleds with miles that have NOT cracked. If the same clutch set up is cracking multiple clutches, then maybe time to change your set up.
FWIW, the 911 cover allows you to greatly reduce the distance from the sheaves to the belt. I measured almost 40 thou per side on stock Team primary with Timken belt. After adjusting the 911 cover to get @18 thou per side the engagement became buttery smooth, almost electric like. No more slamming into the belt. This has to reduce heat I would think. It also brought the engagement down almost 600 rpm

I haven't seen one grenade yet like all the 2017 team clutches were.
A friend of mine put one on his 17 t cat with max spool 16.
He says it works great, and it's quiet.
Good price also.

There was one up on a trailside near Haliburton. We were stopped guy pulls over on his Tcat to talk (ask about the lake we just crossed) and I am thinking something is very wrong until I realize I didn't hear his clutch rattle when he pulled up. Ask him what he has and to fire it up again. Its quiet, not dead quiet but much quieter. He said 3k on it an no issues at all. I know Mike has run them on tuned sleds, this one was stock. I think for someone running stock or a mild tune and doesn't mess around with the sled its probably still a good solution.

People have run the PB80 clutch on sleds over 300hp.
They are ugly, simple and low-tech but seem to work. Some people can't get over the look of it, I guess.
I would try one if I thought it would work well.

I don't know how the PB80 would hold up long term on tuned sleds. That has yet to be seen on the tuned machines that I know of with them on.
Of course they aren't as good as a TAPP or STM, but they aren't intended to be.

Recently had a Vector come in with 21000kms taking the tops off of belts. The sheaves were worn, and the weights were also on their way out.
It was a no-brainer to put the PB80 as just the parts for the Yamaha clutch would have cost more than the PB80.

Back