• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Torsion spring removal and reinstall

MNBlizzard

Expert
I have installed the Hygear torsion spring spacers in my XTX and am having troubles getting everything back together. At the same time, I also had the shocks revalved. It has been a while since I put took it all apart. I believe I got the shock and the rods all in correctly but the torsion springs were a pain. I finally just used force to get the spring ends back into the keeper behind the lower idler wheels. The way I have it now, when pressure is applied to the upper wheels/shaft, I cannot get the suspension to flex at all. I can't seem to located good pictures to see if I have put it back properly or not. Everything looks right per the micro fiche but it doesn't seem right. With pressure shouldn't the upper idlers compress the shock or at least flex some?

Here's a pic of my skid. I don't have the spacers but I just reassembled everything and kept the keepers rotated forward. Then I forced the springs up and over the idlers and rotated the keepers over the end of the spring.

Attachments

• skid.JPG
    skid.JPG
    538.5 KB · Views: 259
I believe you are going to have a very difficult time getting it to compress at all without it being re-installed. I read that on another thread somewhere and someone was asking the same question as you

Yup, if it's not installed in the sled, it will be very difficult to compress.

Heres one from an apex xtx.... same skid

Attachments

• t_003_610.jpg
    t_003_610.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 135
check the springs are not on backwards or L/R reversed. you can let both return arms on the spring float in free air then hook them in after everything is in place. do the adjuster end first then lift the track end up over the wheel into place. this technique also works to move the adjuster w/o using the tool!

Looking at all the pictures, I do think I have it in right. I just thought it was funny how forceful I had to be to get the spring end into the keepers above the idler wheels.

Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it!

Back