• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track adjustment and speed loss

slowride06er

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex
I've always ran my track "tight" per Yamaha spec. Perfect high speed conditions to test today. It came out of hole like always strongly 10.8-10.9k rpm but fell on it's face around 65-75mph. Rpm's dropped to 10.3 to low and would climb slowly it wasn't right. All that being said it's the first time I've really had to use break to stop at stop signs and even in corners. I'm not stating I never use my breaks but IF I do there needed. I have all new bearings and some new wheels in my skid. I feel that it's not because of new parts rolling we will call it free. I'm thinking that it's the track it's ballooning and slowing top speed down. I'm going to tighten up track like I did in past hope to pick up lost speed. What do you think am I on the correct path? Track was set per Yamaha spec last weekend with a few bad bearings and held it's own. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you Kevin B

Last edited:

Update was unable to perform track adjustment skid was way to icy and no bullet heater along. I did install brand new belt broke it in for about 40 miles this is always hard for me and had same results. I than decided to unplug power commander and same results. Clutches are clean but will inspect them closer this week. They will be coming apart. What else should I be looking for or at?

To get better top end tighten your limiter strap i.e. make it shorter, you will be faster but lose travel for trail riding.

i'd take the clutches apart and look at the rollers to make sure they are moving freely. secondly, i think since you're on ice the suspension maybe loading and unloading when you're spinning. it will slow down the rev's when your getting traction and makes sense why your breaking the belt?

I broke in the belt for the first 40 miles drove slowly didn't drive sled hard. Clutches are clean and free. The ice I was referring to was ice snow built up on rails from riding day before. I was unable to adjust track on sled from riding day before.

Last edited:
Did you install an original 8dn belt also if you have to much weight tranfer will slow top end down
Yes new 8dn I did get most of top end back pervious weekend it ran fine. I do realize that snow conditions play a factor but even after I adjusted track it got better but I feel that there's still room for improvement. I agree with you about the transfer thing but not looking for flat out speed. I'm really thinking although early it might be time for a valve adjustment.

Sled did run 99-94-93mph last season in 1000ft it's currently not there this season.

Sled has close to 11K original miles engine has never been touched and I'm original owner.

Yes new 8dn I did get most of top end back pervious weekend it ran fine. I do realize that snow conditions play a factor but even after I adjusted track it got better but I feel that there's still room for improvement. I agree with you about the transfer thing but not looking for flat out speed. I'm really thinking although early it might be time for a valve adjustment.

Sled did run 99-94-93mph last season in 1000ft it's currently not there this season.

Sled has close to 11K original miles engine has never been touched and I'm original owner.
When the miles get higher I usually increase the secondary spring a bit and the RPM/shift out speed come back just nice.

Back