• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Binding?

MikeAllard

Veteran
All - I have an 09 Nytro SE, 400 miles. Left it out in the cold last night (around 1 degree), started it, warmed it up and ran easy for around 5 miles, when my belt started burning. I stopped on the trail, checked everything out, and the track was bound tight. I restarted and could not move forward or backward. I examined the track, and it seemed VERY tight, I could not advance it either way manually.

Eventually, I examined the opposite side of the track, and the rubber was glued (frozen?) to the runner. I popped it off by banging it, the track loosened and I could advance it a little. The sled then ran OK for a few miles, but was binding again. After around 5 more miles, it seemed to run fine.

Any thoughts? Did the shocks freeze in open position tightening the track? After the 10 miles or so, I re examined the track and the play seemed normal )not as tight as when I was having the issue on the trail).

Sounds like your hyfax got hot and when you stopped it stuck to the track. How much snow were you in? And how tight is your track?

Dry conditions - cold ice packed snow. Track setting was factory - I have not messed with it. I had around an inch of deflection after the issue..during the issue, it seemed like there was no deflection.

If you believe there might be some problem with the suspension, perhaps bring it into a warm garage and melt off all the snow and look at your suspension closely and see if there is anything causing this binding situation.

It's possible that when you parked it, all the snow in the tunnel froze up overnight making the suspension unable to perform, ie. compress and rebound. Hence the reason why the problem disappeared after a longer run as the snow/ice wore away and/or melted off.

A tip: When you park your sled for the night, lift up the rear bumper and drop it several times to break free all the snow that collects inside the tunnel and suspension. If you have a track stand, run the track to throw out as much snow as you can. I prefer running it in both forward and reverse. This should help the next time you ride.

ryetarded said:
6500 kms never had that problem but hey its common right??

HA HA, I have seen it a ton of times!!!!!!!! Drive sled to location park it, come back out sled no move, kick track a few times and your off, so just because you have never seen it happen doesnt meen anything, maybe you ride different then some others, and maybe your snow conditions are better then others, I have 500 miles on my XTX and hyfax wear is pretty poor, Never needed hyfax this soon on ANY other sled I have rode or owned other then Yamaha, I am not bashing I am just stating the truth.

You can smell something that smells like burning candle wax when your hyfax is heating up. Slide off trail into some snow or drag your feet to spray some snow into the track. Problem solved.

Its 30 miles for the closest road to my cabin. Last weekend the first 20 miles had 15" of new snow on a semi-established route and the last 10 miles had more, enough that we had to stand up since the snow was well above the bumper and the snow was continuously flowing over the windshield. Sit down, take it in the face. Stand up, take it in the chest. Bummer, huh? No hyfax problems, though. The XTXs go through the snow very well. Surprisingly well.

:letsnow:

SB

My buddy burnt his down to about 10% in 5 min of 70km/h riding on a freshly groomed trail in Valemount.

forgot to put his scratchers down
:(

I do trail riding as well as mountain so I picked up a marginal snow wheel kit and scratchers.

What are scratchers? I rode today another 50 miles with it, every time we hit hard packed ice, I could smell the track, hyfax (or belt?) burning. I have studs on the track, and I'm wondering if this is part of the issue. I had my dealer put the studs in, he put a ton, four rows worth.

The sled has been in very cold weather for the last week or so (0 degreees) and there is a fair amount of ice build up under the track.

I appreciate the advice so far. I'll probably bring it in for service this week.

stopdropanroll said:
ryetarded said:
6500 kms never had that problem but hey its common right??

HA HA, I have seen it a ton of times!!!!!!!! Drive sled to location park it, come back out sled no move, kick track a few times and your off, so just because you have never seen it happen doesnt meen anything, maybe you ride different then some others, and maybe your snow conditions are better then others, I have 500 miles on my XTX and hyfax wear is pretty poor, Never needed hyfax this soon on ANY other sled I have rode or owned other then Yamaha, I am not bashing I am just stating the truth.

No other sled that you have owned has as much mass as a Nytro!as long as the hyfax is anealed properly they will wear to a certain point and hold there for miles.Just my .02 it does not reflect the issues of others.

MikeAllard said:
What are scratchers? I rode today another 50 miles with it, every time we hit hard packed ice, I could smell the track, hyfax (or belt?) burning. I have studs on the track, and I'm wondering if this is part of the issue. I had my dealer put the studs in, he put a ton, four rows worth.

The sled has been in very cold weather for the last week or so (0 degreees) and there is a fair amount of ice build up under the track.

I appreciate the advice so far. I'll probably bring it in for service this week.

bottom left on page
http://www.royaldistributing.com/Shoppi ... 9/196.html
will help you out on hard pack alot

Back