• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track/slide drag

I weigh 145 no studs. First sled I ever owned that hooked up anywhere except pure ice. My srx had a mind of its own except on ice. Phazer hooked but it didn't matter since no real power.

My weight is 230 suited. Just met up today with a local who has a base ltx and did a lot of drag racing. Both running very similar clutch kits and about identical weight. I had torsion blocks on middle setting for the first bit and he would take me by about 2 sled lengths in 1000 feet. He was running 93-94 mph I was running 91-92. Then I set blocks to softest setting and I was able to beat him by 1-2 sled lengths and my fastest speed was 97 running on a hard packed grass field. These sled just seem to get a lot of drag from heavy suspension I think. He has DuPont slides and I have the extra wheel kit and I could tell his rolled a little more freely than mine in higher speeds so very excited to get my new DuPont slides on

Another area to look at is clipping every window. Helps to reduce drag.

When I had my Nytro XTX. I installed the dupont slides. Then later I clipped every window.
I noticed more top end and better fuel mileage.

larrypolaris said:
Another area to look at is clipping every window. Helps to reduce drag.

When I had my Nytro XTX. I installed the dupont slides. Then later I clipped every window.
I noticed more top end and better fuel mileage.

Someone mentioned this before. Here is the source of our drag. I run the track tight but will be setting it even tighter. The black you see is all rubber. Has got to be killing top speed!

Attachments

• DSC00619.JPG
    DSC00619.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 245
fxnytroxtx said:
Found something interesting today, that could be causing some drag. Took off my skid and the tunnel protectors are all black from the track rubbing against them, could that cause that much drag or is part of it like been said in this post. My track was nice and tight from day one.

You found it first. This is definitly causing speed loss.

No rubber marks in mine, just did a 200 km run with lots of straight runs no black marks , sled ran awesome.

No rub marks on my XTX

Studroes144 said:
I checked mine the other day and no black at all from the front to the back of the protectors and my track certainly isn't over tight. Is it just an rtx issue?

I was looking at my rtx today.
I also have issues with top speed and feel some of my speed is being robbed in the drive/track/suspension. I swear that i can feel the track slowing me down when i let off the gas. There feels like there is absolutely no coasting to this sled
I read somewhere that when you have proper belt deflection with the track off the ground the track should turn/move some when the sled is idling.
After installing some clutching changes today, i had the sled jacked up and was checking out engagement rpm and where the belt sat in the secondary.
Everything looked good till i looked at the track and thought about what i had read regarding belt deflection. I ran the sled at idle and the track did not move. i then tried pushing my track with me foot with the sled running and the track would not budge. I shut off the sled and tried moving the track by hand. It is brutally difficult to move.
I then checked My 06 apex and 02 viper. Both of them have a much much easier to move track and both of them move the track some when idling
I pulled up my limiter strap 1 hole and noticed no real difference. There is a TON of drag/resistance on the track in stock form.

So far i have invested in clutching and now I am looking into installing clips on all the track windows, adding extra wheels,changing to DuPont hyfax. My big fear is that i am investing money and it wont fix my issues.

The wheels and duponts made a huge difference on mine! Another thing to check is how tight your track is..you can run the track fairly loose on these and it helps a lot! I would start by checking to see if your slides have any spots where they are worn real bad..if they are then there's your problem. If they aren't wore bad at all than I would t worry about the expensive slides and extra wheels..they will help but it's not solving the problem if slides aren't worn. First check the slides and if they're good then looking into how tight the track is

Yes i thought my track might be a little bit too tight but did not have a spec on it when i was working on it and i wanted to wait on adjusting it till i knew what it was supposed to be set at, also i was a little concerned about some of the posts i saw with track rub on the tunnel protectors.
I will probably loosen it some and see if it turns easier.

The sled has 400 miles on it right now, i would have thought the track might have stretched out just a little at this point but i guess not.

RTX said:
Yes i thought my track might be a little bit too tight but did not have a spec on it when i was working on it and i wanted to wait on adjusting it till i knew what it was supposed to be set at, also i was a little concerned about some of the posts i saw with track rub on the tunnel protectors.
I will probably loosen it some and see if it turns easier.

The sled has 400 miles on it right now, i would have thought the track might have stretched out just a little at this point but i guess not.

Have you always had this problem right from 0 miles? What kind of speeds are you reaching? I didn't have a speed issue until around 5-600 miles. Top speed for me when the sled had 50 miles was 100mph on perfect hard packed snow. Top speed at 500 miles in same exact conditions was 85 and nothing on the sled changed other than slides wore terrible. Added extra wheels and duponts and the next day I went out and in the same exact field and distance that I was going 85 in the day before I was consistently getting 101-102 mph every time. That's just been my experience..not saying that's the case for everyone but either way if you want to invest some good money then extra wheels and DuPont slides will help. I picked up a couple mph with them.

Ya.
From day one something just has not been right.
I did my best to give it a fair break in but at about 100 miles i gave up and started really riding it.
I can not get over 85 top speed and it is slow
(in my opinion) getting to 85. Certainly not the snappy torque i had been reading about.
From day 1 i have been struggling to keep up with the 09 nytro and 2010 doo 1200 i normally ride with.
Its obvious something is wrong.
Although i have a pretty good dealer i dont believe this is something that will be resolved under warranty so i am trying to resolve it myself.
Im kinda crazy about it right now, just thinking about all the potential things i need to do but without snow i dont know if any changes i make actually affect anything.

If it's been an issue from day 1 then I'd say it's a clutching issue that a lot of people have been having..there are a few guys on here that have a fix to the issue but if you were to invest in a good clutch kit you will gain the power you're missing. I'd say the chance of a tight track or slide drag is pretty slim if the sled has been this way from day one. If you're looking for additional performance I'd say get a clutch kit on order and it should take care of your issue and get better performance on top of that.

Back