• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector to Viper Upgrade???

Ultrafrozen

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha SR Viper
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2008 Vector short track to a 2015 Viper LTX DX with 137" track. I'm 50 years old, average trail riding speeds and usually ride with the wife on her 2012 Vector LTX. My knees and hips take a pounding and I'm thinking the taller riding position will help, I'm 5'-11" tall, 200 lbs.

Let me know if you have gone this route and love it or regret it.

I've also posted in the Vector forum to see what they say over there.

One of my friends has a Vector and I have a Viper. His sled is really smooth running and all, but I hate the seating position it makes me feel really cramped. The Viper is a much more natural fit for a taller person. I am 6'1. It rides better in the bumps too. The vector might be a little faster though on top end stock for stock, but I much prefer my Viper.

I am 67 years old, and I came from a Vector LTX to a Viper LTX, and now a Viper XTX, and I couldn't be happier. The Vector is a great groomed trail sled, but once the trail gets beat up, it is no match for the Viper. My wife still has her Vector LTX because she loves the power steering, and she won't go riding if the trails are likely to be rough. My buddy still has his Vector and bought a Viper LTX for his wife. When she isn't riding, he is riding her sled, and the Vector sits at home; I think that pretty much says it all.

I this year upgraded from a 2009 Vector LTX to a 2014 Viper LTX. I will say in terms of ride quality on a groomed trail they are close, but handling and ride on a rougher trail the viper is far superior. I do also appreciate some of the items you get on the Viper that you didnt on the Vector (handwarmers that work, temp gauge, clock, 2 trip meters, and on my model heated seat).

In terms of speed, I lined up with my father on his Vector LTX up in Timmins last week, I pulled ahead fairly quickly after about 200 feet, and maintained a 1 to 2 sled lead. Both sleds are stock, my only changes were BOP spring for smooth engagement, 8DN belt and snowtrackers.

But I will also say for full disclosure, which sled would I rather work on, it would be the vector no question. Whomever came up with some of the ideas on the Viper (which I know was really arctic cat) should have thier engineering degree removed. As an example, Removing Reverse mechanism to add gear oil, no dipsticks, having to use a funnel system to not drain engine oil all over the belly pan, having to take apart brake caliper to repack driveshaft bearing....

Well, I picked up a 2015 Viper LTX DX this afternoon and took it for a short rip around the block and down a bumpy access trail. I wasn't dressed for the cold and the short windshield left me frozen but apart from that the Viper seems to handle the moguls much better than the Vector. I found the exhaust very loud and rough sounding compared to the Vector and clutch engagement on the abrupt side. I'll be taking it on a longer ride soon and see how it does, different throttle probably needs getting used to. The handle bars are adjusted way forward and a shorter riser bar was installed as the owner was short. I'll probably bring this back to stock or a little taller this summer.

Take the time to set it up the way you want it and you'll love it! I'm so happy with this chassis. It is a little loud, but only because we got spoiled by the rear exit exhaust... good luck and enjoy!

Well, I picked up a 2015 Viper LTX DX this afternoon and took it for a short rip around the block and down a bumpy access trail. I wasn't dressed for the cold and the short windshield left me frozen but apart from that the Viper seems to handle the moguls much better than the Vector. I found the exhaust very loud and rough sounding compared to the Vector and clutch engagement on the abrupt side. I'll be taking it on a longer ride soon and see how it does, different throttle probably needs getting used to. The handle bars are adjusted way forward and a shorter riser bar was installed as the owner was short. I'll probably bring this back to stock or a little taller this summer.
So I would agree with what you had said before you get it setup. First change I did was shim the secondary and go to an 8DN belt. Then while I was working on the clutch I put in the BOP soft spring, which made a huge difference in engagement. I will agree with you on the exhaust, I didnt notice how loud it was till I swapped with my fathers vector for a bit. I wish there was something I could do about that....

So I would agree with what you had said before you get it setup. First change I did was shim the secondary and go to an 8DN belt. Then while I was working on the clutch I put in the BOP soft spring, which made a huge difference in engagement. I will agree with you on the exhaust, I didnt notice how loud it was till I swapped with my fathers vector for a bit. I wish there was something I could do about that....
Have the oportunity to get a 2017 XTX moving on from a 2012 vector short track so seriously considering it ...What do you mean by shimming the secondary ? What type of shimming ?? What is a BOP spring ?? Anything else to consider ??

Have the oportunity to get a 2017 XTX moving on from a 2012 vector short track so seriously considering it ...What do you mean by shimming the secondary ? What type of shimming ?? What is a BOP spring ?? Anything else to consider ??
Basically you add a small washer to the back of the secondary. There are 3 bolts that control how far open the secondary is, this is needed because the 8DN is slightly longer I beleive. The Barn Of Parts spring is a spring you put in the primary clutch, this spring allows the primary to engage at a much lower RPM, therefore coming in much smoother without loosing anything on topend.

I this year upgraded from a 2009 Vector LTX to a 2014 Viper LTX. I will say in terms of ride quality on a groomed trail they are close, but handling and ride on a rougher trail the viper is far superior. I do also appreciate some of the items you get on the Viper that you didnt on the Vector (handwarmers that work, temp gauge, clock, 2 trip meters, and on my model heated seat).

In terms of speed, I lined up with my father on his Vector LTX up in Timmins last week, I pulled ahead fairly quickly after about 200 feet, and maintained a 1 to 2 sled lead. Both sleds are stock, my only changes were BOP spring for smooth engagement, 8DN belt and snowtrackers.

But I will also say for full disclosure, which sled would I rather work on, it would be the vector no question. Whomever came up with some of the ideas on the Viper (which I know was really arctic cat) should have thier engineering degree removed. As an example, Removing Reverse mechanism to add gear oil, no dipsticks, having to use a funnel system to not drain engine oil all over the belly pan, having to take apart brake caliper to repack driveshaft bearing....

x2thez,
I see you purchased a smooth engagement spring from Barn o' Parts. I had a real problem with hard engagement with my stock Viper so I bought a primary spring from Ulmer. Very little change. Did the BOP spring work for you? What is your engagement rpm now? Thanks for any info. you can provide.

x2thez,
I see you purchased a smooth engagement spring from Barn o' Parts. I had a real problem with hard engagement with my stock Viper so I bought a primary spring from Ulmer. Very little change. Did the BOP spring work for you? What is your engagement rpm now? Thanks for any info. you can provide.
Yes I did, simple install, and it brought it down significantly. I would say its around 3000, much smoother.

I went from an 11 Vector to a 15 Viper. I've put 7k miles on it in three seasons. The Viper has a much better ride, better handling, and overall I think it's a better sled. The fit and finish is definitely better on the Vector. The Viper panels don't fit well, and it's not well designed for maintenance. I do notice the grabby clutch... and I tried the BOP spring, which helped, and the Ulmer clutch kit, which helped more. Also, the ride position is much more comfortable. It is a small adjustment to get used to it, but I find the Vector to be cramped by comparison, when I ride my friend's sled.

I'd say do it, you'll be pleased with the upgrade.

Well, after all the positive comments, I picked up a 2015 Viper L-TX DX with 3900 kms (2500 miles) on it and finally took it for a ride after work today. It took a few miles to get used to the stabby throttle and jerky engagement (compared to the Vector) but after a while I started settling into it. This Viper has the Curve XS skis, Woody's Dooly carbides and 96 studs. I've never driven a sled with studs before so I was a little unsure with the handling. It turns out I love this set-up, no darting whatsoever.

I'm not sure if there is a transfer rod type adjustment like the Vector but it's set just right: a little ski lift on hard acceleration, dead flat in the corners and a hard dive on the skis on let-off for those corners needing a little more love. The rear suspension is awesome at soaking up the chatter bumps and does a pretty good job with the bigger whoops and moguls. Standing up to take the odd jump feels really good even though I'm still recovering from the worlds bumpiest ride up in Cochrane last week. Thank god for the great trails around Kirkland Lake, thank you Golden Corridor Snow Drifters for a great job grooming again this year. They were table-top smooth this evening but don't tell anyone, I don't want to be invaded like they are up in Cochrane, too many crazy Arctic Cat riders.

The previous owner was under-tall and put a short 4" riser on it and had the bar moved way forward. I moved it back so I wasn't nut hugging the steering column and the riding position improved greatly. I'll have to hunt around for a stock (5 1/2"?) length riser or maybe an adjustable one but until then, it's OK.

The knee pads really came in handy when hitting the brakes hard, something I rarely ever used on the Vector 'cause speeds were limited by the rough ride and crouched position. All I can say about the acceleration is WOW! I've never felt such quick acceleration on a sled before, I got the same pukey gut feeling I get when taking off in a jet plane. Top speed on a somewhat loose snowy trail was only about 140 km/hr (87 mph) so now the wife will blow by me with her 2012 Vector LTX on the lakes.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the sled's acceleration and ride quality.

Out with the wife for a ride tomorrow so I hope she doesn't ask to ride it or else I'm back on a Vector I'm sure!

Back