• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Belts (Too much Dust)

rbell14

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I know this horse has been beaten to death but I'm done with OEM 8JP belts.

They make a huge mess with belt dust all over the inside of the compartment and along the foot well and tunnel. Never seen so much belt dust. I clean my clutches after each trip and make sure the deflection is right. Just the nature of this belt.

I'm going to try the Gates 8JP equivalent. I suspect I will see much less belt dust and from what I've read more consistent performance.

I may try the 8DN, seems everyone likes that belt and I don't recall getting a bunch of belt dust on my Nytro. Are people seeing much belt dust on this one? I've got the belt adjuster so this should work fine.

You will like the gates belt as long as you get the carbon fiber, 8dn is better than stock 8jp, once in a while i think to myself is it really worth it to buy the carbon fiber, well yesterday i blew my gate's cf 8dn lenght 1500+ miles on my turbo, so i slap on my spare 8dn and that instant pull and ski lifting is all but gone, tottaly different feel to sled, it just grips that much better than 8dn.

Last edited:
Yup, went with the carbon fiber belt. Gates # 40C4313 (8JP equal).

I assume less dust would be expected in addition to the added grip?

Less belt dust with it for me but don't confuse with a brake dust if you see again after you change for Gates

Happy with mine, just cleaned out my clutches with about 1000 miles on the Gates and there was a lot less gunk than there was from the first 400 on the 8JP. I’d never seen such a nasty cloud of dust when I blew out the clutches with an air gun before installing the gates. Expect to drop around 300rpm with the Gates, it grips that good!

It's the stock clutching. I tried 8dn, 8jp, and gates 8jp with stock clutching and nothing made a difference. As soon as I installed a big venom kit with my gates 8jp the belt dust went away

8jp is just a fuzzy black cotton candy maker.

After having my primary clutch end up like this with blowing it out almost every ride, requiring the dealer to separate the sheaves to clean the gunk out, I scrapped the 8JP and went with a 8DN and the deflection adjuster from OSP. The adjuster broke so I picked up the adjuster from Thunder Products along with a gates CF belt and a big venom clutch kit. Significantly less clutch dust and so much snappier!

You will like the gates belt as long as you get the carbon fiber, 8dn is better than stock 8jp, once in a while i think to myself is it really worth it to buy the carbon fiber, well yesterday i blew my gate's cf 8dn lenght 1500+ miles on my turbo, so i slap on my spare 8dn and that instant pull and ski lifting is all but gone, tottaly different feel to sled, it just grips that much better than 8dn.

Spot on with my sled too, had the top edges of my gates belt start to come last year on a ride after 1500 miles (belt didn't actually blow but was coming apart). Put 8dn on and sled totally sucked, it wouldn't even make full boost because it was slipping so bad. I use the 8jp equivalent length gates cf belt, I prefer the shorter belt as it gets the sled moving quicker since there's not make slack, I have 7/8" deflection vs like 1 1/2" with an 8dn so the shorter belt alone makes for more consistent clutching..just one less thing to factor in.

Spot on with my sled too, had the top edges of my gates belt start to come last year on a ride after 1500 miles (belt didn't actually blow but was coming apart). Put 8dn on and sled totally sucked, it wouldn't even make full boost because it was slipping so bad. I use the 8jp equivalent length gates cf belt, I prefer the shorter belt as it gets the sled moving quicker since there's not make slack, I have 7/8" deflection vs like 1 1/2" with an 8dn so the shorter belt alone makes for more consistent clutching..just one less thing to factor in.

Great, Carbon Belt arrives monday. I can assure everyone it's not brake dust. Hell I barely use my brake on this viper. OEM belt does seem to get some mileage ~2,500 but belt dust exist all along the way with that stock belt.

Seen someone recommend the Gates CF 8JP equivalent be set 1mm below top of secondary to avoid potential peeling affect on belt. Anyone have thoughts/experience on this?

Great, Carbon Belt arrives monday. I can assure everyone it's not brake dust. Hell I barely use my brake on this viper. OEM belt does seem to get some mileage ~2,500 but belt dust exist all along the way with that stock belt.

Seen someone recommend the Gates CF 8JP equivalent be set 1mm below top of secondary to avoid potential peeling affect on belt. Anyone have thoughts/experience on this?

Yes that's correct. I set mine just flush with the top of the secondary..but not above at all, if anything a bit below. The gates belt is also wider than the Yamaha belts so clutch to sheave clearance is tighter so you more than likely will notice lower engagement but it will also be smoother and less jumpy. Peak rpm is gonna drop a bit too so if you have a clutch kit you will want to adjust that to get the rpm's back up to peak rpm. As far as mileage I got 1500 miles out of my first one but that was a 230 hp turbo..for reference mine would only last 200 miles with an 8jp belt and 400 with an 8dn at that power level. Gates belt after an entire season of riding has less dust than 1 ride with an 8jp or 8dn. One thing to make sure u do with the new belt is wash it in hot soapy water and scrub the crap out of it with a scotch brite pad or something similar and also take a scotch brite or emery cloth to the clutch faces will you have the belt off then blow them all down good.

Mine sits down about 2mm in the secondary, and squealed a bit at idle for the first 100 miles or so, but not enough to make the track creep.

20180131_164804-756x1008.jpg

Gate's cf 8dn lenght, next........

Last edited:

Back