• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Hard Starts

Just did two days of riding in Canada...sled has about 800 miles now and I am getting the hot starting issues probably 1 out of 3 times I go to start it. Kind of embarrassing in front of my buds...

Mine started doing it after a few hundred kms, 3100 kms still does it.Sometimes when it has been hard to start it will idle 600 rpm, then shuts down.

Mine seems to be getting better as I add more miles however it still does from time to time. I never turn off with kill switch so that's not the issue with mine.

I am going to add the exhaust deflector as I noticed the last two times it lost rpm was when I was fooling around in deep powder, last weekend rpm went to 600 and almost shut off, I immediately tipped it over so exhaust was pulled away from snow and it regained rpm and I carried on.

When I was in for my 500 mile service I was told on a hot/warm start to try holding the toe of my boot over exhaust to give it some back pressure when trying to start ??? Forgot about it till now.

canadianhunter said:
When I was in for my 500 mile service I was told on a hot/warm start to try holding the toe of my boot over exhaust to give it some back pressure when trying to start ??? Forgot about it till now.
Well hopefully a new pair of boots comes with that update when they finally figure it out or decide to release it to us. Not aimed at u but that is ridiculous. All of these "suggestions" just circle around the fact that there is an issue with the sled and they have yet to correct it.

I tried two dealer demo vipers over the past month. 1st one had the hot starting issue , code P1338 I believe?. The 2nd one had a low idle stall complete with oil light flashing....I realize the oil flashing light was directly because of the stall.....but it is not a confidence inspiring experience!

I believe I read the 2015 Yamaha is coming with an ECU update? Too lazy to go look it up...lol

Mine has had this hot start issue since new. Dealer has tried an ECU. (with the same mapping as original) Still has same issue. Everyone has to communicate to there dealers, so they, in turn keep bugging Yamaha about this issue. It is very annoying.

javascript:emoticon(':o|')

Guys...if you haven't done so yet...make sure you take the Yamaha survey that is a sticky on the top of this SR Viper page. The first two questions on the 1st and 2nd page of the survey pertain to the cold/hot start issues.

the dealer told me that these sleds start better on 87 than they do on 91. not my info just passing it along.

Now that you mention it there might be something to that....I always run 87 and last weekend I let a friend ride my Viper for a couple of days while I rode my Phazer and v max4. He put in 91 for a few tanks and I had my first starting issues the next day----after 2200 miles. Hmmmmmm

Mine is very intermittent. One ride it never does it, then the next ride it acts up several starts. I have found three other people in my area with Vipers, and they all say it has this issue.
Instead of just guessing @ this, Has anyone actually taken there sled to there dealer and looked into this issue?
It's great to talk and run ideas thru your head, but has any dealer actually tried to diagnose this?

wheel41 said:
Mine is very intermittent. One ride it never does it, then the next ride it acts up several starts. I have found three other people in my area with Vipers, and they all say it has this issue.
Instead of just guessing @ this, Has anyone actually taken there sled to there dealer and looked into this issue?
It's great to talk and run ideas thru your head, but has any dealer actually tried to diagnose this?

Mine did it continually the first few rides, I brought it in to the dealer and they couldn't get it to duplicate it. I thought they were bullshitting me but it rarely does it now so I believe them. It is very intermittent

Next time it does it just barely touch the throttle and it will fire right up. It almost seems like it's flooded a little bit.

Back