• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper pro-x or xrs

I to went to the dark side this year, after being a yamaha owner for over 30 years!I have had many over the years never had to be towed back ever, broke a few parts but always rideable.lol, I told my buddies 25 years ago that if I had to ride a cat I would quit riding, good thing for other brands as I am not ready to quit, I went to a skidoo,I'm hoping I will only have to ride it this winter and then it will be back on a yamaha in 2016, pending good reviews at the end of the 15-16 winter .better yet a all yamaha for 16. Not real impressed with the ski doos flimsy feeling, but will see what all the hype is about, .i told my buddies, 1 major breakdown on this thing , and it will be on craigslist as fast as I can type up the add. I still have a few yamaha triples in the stable, so when I decide to ride something of quality I can ride old blue.lol. Still true blue yamaha, just lost my way this year. Old age?

I agree, once Yamaha comes with something of it's own or perfects the Viper I'll be back in a heart beat! Just trying something new.

You know, your also right Tim. All sleds are so close in many aspects that it comes down to personal preference. We all pay for our own sleds and we all want what best suits ourselves. You have to nit pic on the little things to pick a winner in your own mind. All four manufacturers make pretty nice and for the most part reliable sleds.

You know, your also right Tim. All sleds are so close in many aspects that it comes down to personal preference. We all pay for our own sleds and we all want what best suits ourselves. You have to nit pic on the little things to pick a winner in your own mind. All four manufacturers make pretty nice and for the most part reliable sleds.

Ya, the bad thing is that the Viper really fit me, it is the best looking sled on the snow and I love the motor! And this new trail turbo from MPI has caught my attention! But I'll ride the poo for two years and wait. I love my Viper, it must have been a lemon or something...lol...oh well this is my sport and I love it. And it's ok to try something new. I would never bash any sled really, but not Yamaha for sure. They are my favorite! They all make great sleds and they all do a good job of it! And yes nit picking is exactly right. It's hard to pick one now, with all of the technology. And thinking to yourself, well maybe I'll hold out for one more year to see what's new next year. Drives us crazy...lol. But it's fun and I love it!!

But if allowed I'll post a tiny bit on how the Axys is doing and try and get a couple races lined up with some Vipers. I have two races lined up. One with Steve and he has 10 pounds of boost so we already know the outcome of that race and Henry his Viper is stock. And I have a few others that will happen as well with a variety of mods. So it should be fun. Other than that I won't say much about it. This is a Yamaha site. Unless I'm asked...

What's steering me on the pro-x is:
160 hp
More rider forward
1.75" track for boo docking.
Lighter than all 3.
Price close to viper.

Well I have had a 2011 Pro R 800 121", 2012 Pro R 800 Switchback and 2013 Pro R 800 switchback and now waiting on a 2015 Pro S 800 switchback. I love the sleds and have never had to do anything to them. No clutching, no mods just fill em up and ride. I like my Viper but when it comes to a 300 mile day I pull out the Pro R. When trails are rough Pro R. They are the fastest on trail I have ever ridden and will go anywhere you point them.

Just a little hint if you decide to go with the Viper, buy the base version whether it is the 129", 137" or 144" and then dump the stock shocks for a set of Hygear Custom Axis shocks and Hygear torsion spring...purchasing the base version sled will save you over $2000+ in cost that will then go towards the $3400 that will cover the Hygear suspension and you will have the finest riding and handling sled along with the best front suspension and the bullet proof Yamaha motor...BOOM your on the best sled on the snow...this is speaking from experience of trying to go with factory suspensions and trying to upgrade then finding out that it not the way to go...just dump the factory suspension front and rear for the Hygear suspension

Looking forward to your AXYS review YamahaTim - my Phazer lacks the speed I want, and I haven't found a viable upgrade yet. Prefer not to go 2 stroke, but if there isn't anything else in a year or two, I' might have to go that route.

I'd be interested in measurements from the AXYS, I can't seem to find exactly how it is laid out in terms of sitting/standing, it looks like it might be the closest thing to the Phazer.

Here is everything I've checked off my list of potentials for upgrade:
XP chassis doo - too low of a seat was biggest issue, 600 etec gas and oil mileage sucked, boring motor
Viper: Demo ride only a few miles, just felt huge
Vector, old school, couldn't pound it
Nytro: if I upgrade again I'm going new or one year leftover with warranty,so taking Nytro off the list

Looking forward to your AXYS review YamahaTim - my Phazer lacks the speed I want, and I haven't found a viable upgrade yet. Prefer not to go 2 stroke, but if there isn't anything else in a year or two, I' might have to go that route.

I'd be interested in measurements from the AXYS, I can't seem to find exactly how it is laid out in terms of sitting/standing, it looks like it might be the closest thing to the Phazer.

XP chassis doo - too low of a seat was biggest issue, 600 etec gas and oil mileage sucked, boring motor
Nytro: if I upgrade again I'm going new or one year leftover with warranty,so taking Nytro off the list

If you ride the Viper again move forward and when standing stand as far forward as you can. Girlfriend went from Phazer to Viper and took her a couple weekends to adjust now she loves her Viper.

Well I wouldn't put to much about it on here in respect of the site, but I would however PM you and let you know for sure! I know this post is asking about the X or XRS so I'll say this. I'm just shy of 6 foot and on the X it's perfect to go from sitting and standing. It's narrow at the front of the seat, but gets wider in the back with a couch like seat! Super comfortable! My wife on her Pro S can go from sitting to standing tons easier than her Vector and she loves that!!

It's just like the Phaser in the terms of sitting and standing. When I get mine I'll do some measuring. Of course they have risers. Or you can get shorter ones if needed. And after having my Nytro I didn't want to go to a 2 stroke again either! But the Viper just didn't hold up to its praise. As far as I'm concerned. Not talking bad about it! And I'm not a Yamaha or Viper hater or basher. It just caused me a lot of problems where I didn't trust getting another one for my wife. As she wanted something more fun than the Vector. I'll stick with this for two years and see what Yamaha has to offer. I will definitely get another Yamaha when they come out with something new!! Or a revised Viper!! Im a Yamaha guy!! And the guys that know me know that! I just want a sled that I can adjust and throw around and be fast all in one without buying what should already come on a 12,000 dollar sled! I'm ok with rebuilding it every year. So two strokes are not all that bad. If Yamaha came out with one on a really light chassis I'm sure people would love it! If you need anymore info let me know, and when I get mine I'll let you know the down low!!

I'm a Yamaha fan - I even had a membership to this site before owning one! Even if the seating position on the Viper were awesome, I'm not sure I could spend the $$ to go less than 10mph faster than my Phazer. I'm looking forward to a full day or weekend Viper rental this year, also going to try to demo the Axys. Thanks for the tip Stingray - maybe I will like the Viper more with a full day ride on it.

Yamaha has done good by offering the Turbo on the Viper, maybe 2016 will welcome a brand new chassis to replace the Phazer? Call it an Exciter, more power and less weight than the Phazer in an updated chassis for 8 or 9K - we can dream right?

Back to the original topic - I think the XRS renegade will be a great sled with the 800ETEC, wonder how much different that is than the XP chassis I rented a couple years back? When I rode a 600ETEC rental for 3 days, guys on an 800etec said the 600 was the wrong choice when I told them my MPGS - with the 800 you don't ride it as hard so can get better or same MPG from what I was told.

It really is great to see all the innovation and all of these manufacturers making money again; not sure if it is from the sleds or SXS, but regardless I think they are all developing excellent machines ( some just fit narrower markets). Looking back to my 2000 zrt6 or 02 zr8 cross country which I thought were awesome and these newer sleds are just multiples better!

Coming from 7 years of riding my Phazer I will say the only sled close in feel is the sno pro 500. All other sleds do feel big in comparison but like said it takes some time to get used to the bigger feel and get the confidence in the air that the Phazer gives. Handling on side hills and off trail is sooo much better on the viper it's not even close. Jumping the Viper is as easy as Phazer since the balance of the two sleds is about perfect. You said 10 mph diff. NO. The speedo on Phazer is way off. At 7o true mph it's about done. Viper will do 90 under most conditions. My modded Phazer suspension is better in rear than my viper right now. I miss the fact my Phazer NEVER pushed in a corner but everything else is so much easier to do on the Viper and most important is its a 4 stroke! It's the next step from a Phazer for sure.

Coming from 7 years of riding my Phazer I will say the only sled close in feel is the sno pro 500. All other sleds do feel big in comparison but like said it takes some time to get used to the bigger feel and get the confidence in the air that the Phazer gives. Handling on side hills and off trail is sooo much better on the viper it's not even close. Jumping the Viper is as easy as Phazer since the balance of the two sleds is about perfect. You said 10 mph diff. NO. The speedo on Phazer is way off. At 7o true mph it's about done. Viper will do 90 under most conditions. My modded Phazer suspension is better in rear than my viper right now. I miss the fact my Phazer NEVER pushed in a corner but everything else is so much easier to do on the Viper and most important is its a 4 stroke! It's the next step from a Phazer for sure.

I hope its a step up from the nytro also! I don't want to regret selling the nytro to buy the viper!!

I hope its a step up from the nytro also! I don't want to regret selling the nytro to buy the viper!!

To besides top speed the Viper is a lot better than the nytro! I owned them both and the Viper is so nice to ride and turns so easy compared to the Nytro. The rear skid in the Nytro I think is better. The Viper has almost no snow in the skid after a ride and it seems lighter while riding or boondocking! It jumps great. There are just some bugs in the Viper that the Nytro didn't have. But all small ones! The major one being the belt...

Back