• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WARNING REPLACING CAM CHAIN TENSIONER

My sled is now at the garage to swap my tensionner. The yamaha mechanic told me that he will be surprised if my problem is the tensioner. He will change it anyway and we will see... He have performed a leak down test and no leak was found all cylinder was at 2-3%. He has also confirm that I have to change my exhaust donut. Tonight he will change my tensioner and my exhaust donut. As soon this will be done I will give the result...

so did your dealer have an update for the tensioner or is he doing it any ways under warranty? just trying to get some good facts and info to take to the dealer to have mine changed w/ only 1100 miles on it. thanks

I have to pay for the tensioner replacement... (parts & labor)

i too am replacing the tensioner this fall, but i'm still surprised that with the number of tensioners failing (excessive noise) on their way to a engine failure, yamaha hasn't stepped up and helped out with thie exchange parts and/or labor. i do know of 3 engine failures due to tensioners one at my friends shop and 2 at my dealers as of last february most likely more to come. disapointng to say the least

Don't forget the exhaust donuts when you're ordering the tensioner. I've replaced several tensioners and every one of them needed donuts also.

bluemissile said:
i too am replacing the tensioner this fall, but i'm still surprised that with the number of tensioners failing (excessive noise) on their way to a engine failure, yamaha hasn't stepped up and helped out with thie exchange parts and/or labor. i do know of 3 engine failures due to tensioners one at my friends shop and 2 at my dealers as of last february most likely more to come. disapointng to say the least
did you take yours to friend&friend to be fixed? i heard read alot of post over time where some dealers are replacing ths under warranty, so i'm guessing thier just eating the cost of the repair for good cutomer service then.

friend and friend is not my dealer nor would i use them. i use moosehead motorsports in greenville. ill check the donuts i have placed my hand over the exhausts and it build pressure. with the donuts does this fix it for good or will it be an ongoing process.

bluemissile said:
friend and friend is not my dealer nor would i use them. i use moosehead motorsports in greenville. ill check the donuts i have placed my hand over the exhausts and it build pressure. with the donuts does this fix it for good or will it be an ongoing process.

They say if you choke off the exhaust and the motor quits, your donuts are OK. I can hear the leak(s) if I listen underneath the tunnel near the front of the track.

I think most will agree here that you will be changing them again. How many miles?...that seems to vary greatly. I'm now on my 3rd set in 7900 miles.

While you are changing the tensioner, check the wire from the starter to the starter relay. The wire has a tendency to chafe between the motor and the heat exchanger. Mine was but not through. Covered it with a larger rubber tube.

Just picked up my 06 Rage today from the dealer after they put on a new cam chain tensioner. Started her up and it sounds a lot quieter and runs a lot smoother. They also put in the exhaust donuts in while they had it apart. It cost $684.00 and it was worth it to know that there is one less thing to worry about when you are riding. ;)!

Update... With the tensioner and exhaust donuts replaced the sound is gone!! For those who want to know what sound a bad tensioner do, just listen the video I have posted earlier in the thread.

Man,you can really hear that sound.That video is a great example for anyone wondering what a bad tensioner sounds like :o| .

I'm on my 5th tensioner replacement. I've got a RS Nytro in the garage that I'll be finishing up in the morning. I've been getting $100 for labor and I can get the tensioner shipped to me for $120. Maybe I should be charging just a little bit more......No, I'd rather just help out a few local Yamaha riders!

grizztracks said:
I'm on my 5th tensioner replacement. I've got a RS Nytro in the garage that I'll be finishing up in the morning. I've been getting $100 for labor and I can get the tensioner shipped to me for $120. Maybe I should be charging just a little bit more......No, I'd rather just help a few local Yamaha riders out!
sounds like your treating people really good w/ that pricing. i would have you do mine if you were closer. keep up the good work as alot of people these days wouldn't be as nice. ;)!

I will be replacing my tensioner this weekend and probably donuts. How hard is it to get the rear motor mount spacer out??? The rest seems easy.

Back