• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What type of belt do you run?

I abuse the crap out of belts boondocking and pulling out stuck sleds with my sno-bunje and had to switch to my back up belt at the end of the season last year after I smoked the original one bad in heavy spring snow. The yamaha belts outlast everythign I ride with. I've seen some ski-doo guys go through 3 belts in two days when the snow is deep. Eric

I have 2800+ miles of mountain riding on my '03 RX-1 (with almost 900 of those running boost (Stage 1 SC). I ran the first belt during engine break in and then switched to the spare (both OEM).

The second belt is still in service and within Yamaha Specs.

Nothing but OEM here..

Ive heard nothing but problems from guys trying to use those cheap aftermarket bests (which really arnt that cheap)

Seeing how a Mach z belt is $150 and a Apex belt is only $45 and last 10 times longer .. i feel pretty good about that

A little trick I learned from a MOD racer, just file off about 20mill's on outter part edge of belt, thats the part which tends not to wear and create that slippage the outter or top part of these belts are very HARD, it doesn't wear as quick as the core.

I have found OEM to be the best, but I am gonna try the NEW Dayco belt this winter...it is yet to be released...stay tuned.

for longevity - OEM
for performance - Dayco Ultimax

gade-thrasher said:
for longevity - OEM

I don't agree...that 8dn seems to be on ALOT of the fastest/quickest Yamahas (4stroke or 2). The Dayco stuff is usually alot softer which sometimes makes up for clutching.

DoktorC said:
gade-thrasher said:
for longevity - OEM

I don't agree...that 8dn seems to be on ALOT of the fastest/quickest Yamahas (4stroke or 2). The Dayco stuff is usually alot softer which sometimes makes up for clutching.

I guess then I should really rephrase my response. I haven't had my 4-stroke long enough to play with the belt. With my 2-strokes, I always had better performance with the aftermarket belt. So with that in mind, I had planned on swapping the OEM belt out of my Nytro this season for a Dayco ...... we'll see what happens.

My experience with OEM blets is that they are harder rubber, more clutch slippage, and iv burned belts before when they shudnt have, like trying to get over a little ledge washout on a trail. On top of all that, the two OEM ones I had were well within spec, almost brand new, broken in the correct way (easy first 30kms) and eashed before use, and they both blew, leaving nice black marks in my belt guard and kinking my speedo cable. They both delaminated in the same way and wasnt riding overly fast or aggressive, just let go.

My clutches run exceptionally hot though, which may be the problem, and although this is ususally due to misalignment, the clutches dont perform badly and im not lacking any performance when im smoking L/C 500's. I should check the alignment however, just to make sure...

With that said, Iv been running Ultimax 3's for a few years now, and all they do is wear down, not have one blow on me yet. They will be my replacement belt.

Yamahammer...you should look into why those belts are blowing. Like you said it sounds like an alignment problem coupled with a belt grip issue. Soft belts make up for lack of belt grip (for obvious reasons) but usually don't last long if the clutches run hot.

Usually run the 8DN belt but have been testing the new Ultimax XS series belts all summer and will try them out on the snow as well. So far they have showed a gain over the 8DN on the grass. Nothing beats the 8DN for wear though!

DoktorC said:
Yamahammer...you should look into why those belts are blowing. Like you said it sounds like an alignment problem coupled with a belt grip issue. Soft belts make up for lack of belt grip (for obvious reasons) but usually don't last long if the clutches run hot.

Both times it was exactly the same thing, the belt de-laminated, and it was just the top layer both times. It wasnt the newer style, double-cogged design also.

Ya, the clutches ran so hot, both primary and secondary that sometimes you couldnt touch them, and you certainly couldnt work on them hot without gloves on. I should mention also that I keep my clutches perfectly clean and clean them less than every week, but never really seem to wipe off much residue or buildup.

I was looking into getting a clutch alignment tool like this to check out my alignment:

http://www.sledpro.com/page38.html

Sorry if it seems im hi-jacking your thread "The Tweaker", but thought id mention some of this in case your having the same problems with your 8DN belt.

Back