• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's up with the revised 1049cc?

sk-rx1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
So Yamaha tells us the 1049cc motor in the Vector etc has new crank, rods, new castings.......... But why did they do it? More power, better mpg, lighter, revised mounting, or maybe just cheaper to produce???? Except for the new electronic throttle I have not seen anything.

This is not true. Mr. Sled confirmed this in the "2016" thread.

Thanks. Maybe a little more power, better gas mileage, tighter tolerancing on clutch splines,and while I'm at maybe revised mounting features to place it lower in the Viper chassis. Maybe some day. LOL

Thanks. Maybe a little more power, better gas mileage, tighter tolerancing on clutch splines,and while I'm at maybe revised mounting features to place it lower in the Viper chassis. Maybe some day. LOL

From what I have been told the motor can not go lower because the exhaust pipe would be in the middle of the jack shaft. Its as low as it can go and keep the pipe angle and flow correct.

That's true. But why can't they redesign the chain case and make it more vertical and maybe a little longer chain, run the pipes underneath the jackshaft. I understand the initial Viper project was to do it as fast and cheaply as possible, but we are ready for a Viper II. Some day there will be designs that do away with the jackshaft, not sure if we are there yet. A Yamaha chain case wouldn't be a bad thing.

That's true. But why can't they redesign the chain case and make it more vertical and maybe a little longer chain, run the pipes underneath the jackshaft. I understand the initial Viper project was to do it as fast and cheaply as possible, but we are ready for a Viper II. Some day there will be designs that do away with the jackshaft, not sure if we are there yet. A Yamaha chain case wouldn't be a bad thing.

All questions that you have to ask Arctic Cat. It is a Yamaha engine dropped into a Cat Chassis that was not designed for it. What you are asking for is Arctic Cat to redesign their chassis to fit one motor.

According to CR's blog this morning, it was due to supplier agreements for engine components.

Sled Talk 3-9-15, "The internal changes to the Vector motor do not yield any change in its performance or durability. My understanding is the reason for the new parts (crank, rods etc) was due to suppliers and assembly. The engine design has not changed but some components are procured from different sources causing the updates. No big deal. The significant update is realized in the electronic throttle control (YCCT) – D-mode selective mapping and the Trailing Control for smooth operation" - See more at: http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/#sthash.xLgfD8rx.dpuf

This was Chris' response, so I think you can take that as gospel. No more guessing needed.

All questions that you have to ask Arctic Cat. It is a Yamaha engine dropped into a Cat Chassis that was not designed for it. What you are asking for is Arctic Cat to redesign their chassis to fit one motor.
Maybe I have been under a rock or something but I thought the Viper have the Nytro engine not the Vector? Isn't there slightly different internals in the two? If the Vip does have the Vector mill I'd be going Vector for sure.

Maybe I have been under a rock or something but I thought the Viper have the Nytro engine not the Vector? Isn't there slightly different internals in the two? If the Vip does have the Vector mill I'd be going Vector for sure.

My understanding is that its more Vector then Nytro..

Back